Natsu's Questions

Hey there: D

I want to create on the basis of 0AD. a completely new game

Because I will probably have many questions during this time, I've started this thread.

First i need to say how epic 0AD is.

Many thanks to the Team for all the work, and many thanks that you make the Game avaible as Open Source.

Now for my questions:

1) If I want to sell the game later on, what should I look for that the licensing is correct?

2) How can I delete the existing civilizations of the game?

3) I want that the Warriors can not build a building, where can i find the posts where it is defined

Please excuse my bad english, I'm from Switzerland and I am not very versed in English

Best regards

Natsu

Edited by Natsu

1) If I want to sell the game later on, what should I look for that the licensing is correct?

If you use code from 0 A.D., you must release the code of your game under the GPL.

This license allows you to sell your game, but also requires you to make the source code available to anyone, to allow your users to legally redistribute the software, and more.

For better and for worse, this gives your users more freedom than the usual model does. For example, it encourages people to mod your game, but also makes it easier for people to acquire and play the game without paying you.

You should know this before starting to create your game, so that you don't get disappointed later. The FSF has made some unofficial translations of the GPL available in French, German and other languages, if that helps.

Similarly with the art, if you use existing art this is under a similar license to the code. It would be possible to replace all of the art and then disallow people from copying your artwork.

For 2 and 3 you will find the data files in binaries/data/mods/simulation/templates. There are also a few other things scattered around the game. You asked a very general question though, without more specifics it is hard to give exact advice, creating a whole new game is a big thing.

Thanks a lot for your fast answer

1. ) The content of our game is going to be an absolutely new one, thats why I have got no use for the existing fractions and I'd like to delete them. What entries do I have to change/delete so the fractions are not available anymore?

2.) Contemporary warriors are building structures, what I don't want them to do in our game. What entries do I have to change so the warriors can not build anymore?

Greetings

Natsu

quantumstate already gave you the directory. If you look into this you will find xml files for the units and buildings. If you want to delete them you simply have to remove them. Changing the behavior that warriors can build buildings and specifying which buildings exactly they can build can also be done in these files, for instance:

the file template_unit_infantry.xml has a section "Builder".

<Builder>

<Rate>1.0</Rate>

<Entities datatype="tokens">

structures/{civ}_house

structures/{civ}_mill

structures/{civ}_farmstead

structures/{civ}_field

structures/{civ}_corral

structures/{civ}_outpost

other/wallset_palisade

structures/{civ}_dock

structures/{civ}_civil_centre

structures/{civ}_barracks

structures/{civ}_temple

structures/{civ}_market

structures/{civ}_defense_tower

structures/{civ}_wallset_stone

structures/{civ}_fortress

</Entities>

</Builder>

Edited by Almin

If you just delete all of the factions the game will probably stop working properly. Would it not be more sensible to gradually start by adding your own stuff first and then removed existing things once you have the replacements working. Once you have got the hang f adding new stuff it will become more obvious what needs modifying or deleting.

Take a look at the current champion units which cannot build and compare them with the normal units which can.