Possible Mod Idea: Nabataeans/Lihyanites

Atenmeses52

reqs.generic, meh, that is http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3993

The issue is that the AI, tech tree and simulation have all a copy of parsing that logic (alll, any, civ requirement). Thus if one part is changed or extended, the other logic dupes become broken (as seen in the screenshot). The ticket aims at merging all logic to one place in globalscripts/ but introduces a monster-function with tech-tree specific logic that isn't useful in the simulation nor AI which would get away with 10 lines and 2 layers of nesting instead of 14 layers.

Might not be fixed with alpha 21. @fatherbushido would your workaround fix that particular bug?

25 minutes ago, Aghilas said:

Looking at this civ json make me excited to see the Nabataeans.

I can use imagination and envision the buildings to be very blocky in overall shape, but the details to be Hellenistic (Greek facade). Also, the colors of the building to look like pink sandstone and plain, like chiseled out of the red rock of the desert. The "house" can be bedouin tent - low health and fast to build, but very cheap. The "Treasury" can be like the Dutch "Bank" in Age of Empires III, but also can barter (or maybe the Treasury should be their Wonder instead).

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

I looked at @Aghilas's PDF civ profile. Look like a great start. It fires the imagination. Can I make some suggestion and expand on some of your ideas? You can do with this as you want. Ignore too. lol

Overall: Like the Ptolemies, they have a mix of very strong primary buildings, and very weak smaller buildings. They are very core-defensive, but have many trading bonus and unique features. They have a duality of their Bedouin-Nomadic early days and their more lavish settled latter days. So, here I go:

Storehouse split into Mining Camp and Lumber Camp. Both are very cheap or free.

Farming is done at Walled Gardens. Unlike the Farmstead and Farm Fields of other civ, the Walled Garden can be garrisoned and defended if necessary to do.

Tent - The "house" for Phase I. Cheap, quick to build, but can be destroyed with 2 or 3 swipes of sword. There are some tent object in the game already that make good placeholders. They can be build anywhere on the map. Later, have a Stone House upgrade that unlock building of stone houses in Phase II or Phase III. Stone House can only be built in home territory.

Barracks split between Bedouin Barracks ( Phase I, cheaper, faster to build) and City Barracks (Phase II, more expensive, slow to build). Bedouin Barracks trains the Nabataean Axeman,  Nabataean Slinger, the Bedouin Scout (Camel Skirmisher), and Camel Archer; City Barracks trains Hellenized units like the Melee Infantry (thureophoroi), Horse Lancer, Champions, and Bolt Shooter. Tribal Skirmisher and Desert Archer can be the mercenary camp units.

Market is split into two unique building.

• Trading Post - Can be built in own, ally, and neutral territory in Phase II. Land Traders are trained here. Build along a trade route to beef up speed and health of traders with an aura (40 meters). MinDistance of 50 meters between each. Trading techs are research here.
  • Treasury - Like the Dutch "Bank" in AOE 3. Gives a trickle of resource. In Phase II it gives slow trickle of all resource. In Phase II use Upgrade feature to switch between the resource you want to have trickled. Bartering also happens here.

I like the Cliff Snapping idea too. If a building is snapped to a Cliff, they get +50% health and +5 crush armor. The only civ that can do this. Doesn' apply to Tent, Mining Camp, or Lumber Camp.

There is no Fortress. Instead, can upgrade the City Barracks, Gates, Walls, Towers, etc. to increasing ranged defenses (1 arrow -> 2 arrows -> scorpion bolts, etc.).

Lastly, Civic Center. The beginning Civic Center is a collection of tents with a fire in the middle, the Encampment. The new Civic Center you build in Phase II is the strong new stone Civic Center, showing the change in culture to settlement. This is the opposite of the Ptolemies and Seleucid, who have cheaper expansion CCs. The stone CC doesn't have a MinDistance from the Encampment, so can be build nearby. Only has MinDistance from other stone CCs. Water-based technologies (cisterns, irrigation, water management, etc.) at the CC can upgrade the health of Nabataean units.

• Like 3

@wowgetoffyourcellphone I really like these ideas, but i am very noob to do most of this ideas at this moment :(...

9 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Tent - The "house" for Phase I. Cheap, quick to build, but can be destroyed with 2 or 3 swipes of sword. There are some tent object in the game already that make good placeholders. They can be build anywhere on the map. Later, have a Stone House upgrade that unlock building of stone houses in Phase II or Phase III. Stone House can only be built in home territory.

I can try with stall building, but i compared stall xml file with the house xml and i don't know how to convert the stall to a house-like building...

12 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Barracks split between Bedouin Barracks ( Phase I, cheaper, faster to build) and City Barracks (Phase II, more expensive, slow to build). Bedouin Barracks trains the Nabataean Axeman,  Nabataean Slinger, the Bedouin Scout (Camel Skirmisher), and Camel Archer; City Barracks trains Hellenized units like the Melee Infantry (thureophoroi), Horse Lancer, Champions, and Bolt Shooter. Tribal Skirmisher and Desert Archer can be the mercenary camp units.

We can use the mercenary camp to do this.

14 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

There is no Fortress. Instead, can upgrade the City Barracks, Gates, Walls, Towers, etc. to increasing ranged defenses (1 arrow -> 2 arrows -> scorpion bolts, etc.).

I suggest to use the Qasr Marid as a fortress:

Resultado de imagem para marid fortress

Resultado de imagem para marid fortress

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The fits perfectly with a minifaction concept.

If you want to start them as a minifaction first that is fine, but I think the plans are looking to make a full faction. :)

I could see a minifaction working by just having the encampment and then letting it be a combination civic center, market, and barracks in one thing. Just disable garrison and you can have the barter stuff on the left panel. Training queue look like: Bedouin Woman, Skirmisher dude, Camel Raider cav, Merchant. Can even have a basic tech tree (no phases). Just basic upgrades for the woman, skirmisher, camel cav, merchant, in that order. I think this would be more of a Bedouin/Berber minifaction rather than a Nabataean minifaction.

@Lion.Kanzen i found a photo of jordanian men "recreating" nabatean military dress:

The Nabatean army goes to war

Resultado de imagem para nabatean army

And i didn't use @Apkallu shield because it look more kedarite than nabatean:

On 13/09/2016 at 10:53 PM, Aghilas said:

And Apkallu where do you found this emblem? And this is Hubal, when i think who Dhushara was the principal god of nabateans, but the emblem is beautiful ;).

Hubal was the kedarite principal god, Dhushara was the principal god of nabateans but i don't know what symbol i can use for Dhushara.

If you like Apkallu's shield we can use it ;).

Edited by Aghilas
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

@stanislas69 we can have this as minifaction in Terra Magna?

Isn't it out of the timeframe ? Wasn't it for Aristeia ?

5 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

So we can move to our Com forum, @Atenmeses52 was/is great passionate like @Sundiata or @Zophim

Do you have any way to contact him ?maybe he would still be interested.

7 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Isn't it out of the timeframe ? Wasn't it for Aristeia ?

Do you have any way to contact him ?maybe he would still be interested.

Nabateans? 

Nabataeans, also Nabateans (/ˌnæbəˈtənz/; Arabic: الأنباطal-ʾAnbāṭ , compare Ancient Greek: Ναβαταῖος, Latin: Nabataeus), were an Arab[1][2][3][4][5][6][7] people who inhabited northern Arabia and the Southern Levant. Their settlements, most prominently the assumed capital city of Raqmu, now called Petra,[1] gave the name of Nabatene to the borderland between Arabia and Syria, from the Euphrates to the Red Sea. Their loosely controlled trading network, which centered on strings of oases that they controlled, where agriculture was intensively practiced in limited areas, and on the routes that linked them, had no securely defined boundaries in the surrounding desert. Having maintained territorial independence from their emergence in the 4th century BC until Nabataea was conquered by Trajan in 106 AD, annexing it to the Roman Empire. Nabataean's individual culture, easily identified by their characteristic finely potted painted ceramics, was adopted into the larger Greco-Roman culture. They were later converted to Christianity during the Byzantine Era. Jane Taylor, a writer, describes them as "one of the most gifted peoples of the ancient world".[

I don't have contact in many years.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 2