0 A.D. is a very good game... Why?

Lion.Kanzen

Why don't make a survey in main page or Facebook page?

Temporary surveys are better. As the game develops more and more, you don't want to average the results over different releases.

That said, maybe it could give a nice insight if every time after the release a new survey is launched. You could investigate how much better it becomes version after version.

• 2 months later...

From another topic:

Also, Lion.Kanzen, what I think would be a much better things, especially question number 3, to ask to players is:

1. What do you not like about the game?

2. What do you feel the game lacks/needs to be improved?

3. Why did you uninstall 0 A.D. ?

I'm not implying everyone is uninstalling the game or something. Let me explain: knowing what you do right is good, but knowing what you really need to improve on or did bad is even better I think.

Sometimes when I uninstall a program question nr. 3 pops up, and I personally, always answer unless it's that bad that I don't bother. I think this is good for 0 A.D. though I haven't unistalled it yet so I don't know it is already there.

The third question is good because you get to know what people don't like at a later stage. When I am new to the game, I am more positive than when I play it longer and get bored of it.

The first question is good, and it could turn out to be positive; there is not something I don't like (more likely as; there is not something I do like)

The second question, I think people will always ask for something to be improved even if the game would be 10 out of 10.

I can go on for hours with this post but I need to continue this later.

What I forgot to say, but I had to quit: a survey with both positive things and negative things is of course the best, but if you must choose between positive and negative things I would go for negative. Example how a good survey would be (but I'm guessing not very do-able):

-Do you feel the historical accuracy in 0 A.D. is good?

++ + 0 - --

(the zero meaning I don't care)

-Do you feel the gameplay needs to be improved?

++ + 0 - --

-If yes, what would need to be improved?

Something else I would like to talk about but perhaps in another thread; how the real time strategy market is changing and how it could affect 0 A.D. I mean if I look at the classic real time strategies:

-AOE3 was well recieved, and I see Age of Empires online too, but both are big changes of the original

-Empire Earth 3 did very bad, the series died, it also changed but not very well

-Starcraft 2 did exceptionally well without changing much (correct me if wrong)

Correct me if wrong, but to me the most popular games do not seem to be Age of Empires type games, but instead games like Total War and Company of Heroes. Starcraft 2 is a exception, it seems very old school and nothing new, yet it has a great rating and is highly popular.

It would be very interesting to know what people nowadays look in a real time strategy game. Are they fine with a improved and expanded Age of Empires game? Do they want a game with more depth? Do they want a game focusing more on combat instead of base building and gathering? Do they want something different and refreshing or do they prefer something more conservative that plays very much like the old games? Etc.

Obviously, the developers have a clear vision, and somethings that players look for in a real time strategy game would be hard if not impossible to add to 0 A.D.

I will take another look at this thread because maybe I did not see things.