Scenario editor - water?

loro11

Hello loro11! Welcome to the forums.

If you modify the terrain and make "holes" in it, you will eventually get under the water level and the water will be shown.

The water level is specified on the environment tab (the sun icon) on the slider called "water height" you can raise that slider up, and if the map is totally plain, the whole map will be covered in water.

There has been some work on this recently, if you open atlas and add a reservoir water object then you can see this. It is tricky to do reflections properly with varying water levels so it might happen that we have two types of water, the fancy full water and a simpler one which is just used for wells and small features where the quality difference is not so noticeable.

In Unity3D, one can create multiple water meshes. For example, if I wanted to create a crater lake, I would make a little "bowl" or crater in the terrain. Then, I could add a small water mesh (about the size of the crater and lift it up (for example 160 m high) and still have another water mesh at 0m at the coastline. Can multiple water meshes be enabled?

I know there was some recent discussion about this... but what about allowing the currently flat sea plane to have an elevation map. I'm sure you would up the number of quads, to render - but I guess polygons aren't a bit deal anymore. You could have a toggle in atlas to modify either the terrain elevation with the tools - or the water elevation.

This seems to be a relatively simple of a solution. I know someone must have thought of it before and there might be some cons. I don't know why it just occurred to me now after all these years.

The theory behind elevation map is sound, and there are no "problems" in itself with it. However, any map plane must have its own refractions/reflections rendered, which is expensive (refractions might be done in one pass, reflection cannot). Furthermore, the code isn't currently done for it. However, I believe it could be added at some laaaaate point in development.