My first map : Persian Capital Town

Ludo38

I just spent around 3 hours on Atlas starting an ambitious Persian map.

I love Babylon and all those legendary ancient cities of Middle-East and I am a bit frustrated by the lack of giant towns in 0 A.D. (also because for now I suck in the game and never reach a decent development stage), that's why I'm making what I call a Capital Town.

To make it feel even more impressive, I've set it uphill, standing over the desert like a massive fortress.

I started this map by heavily modifying the existing map "Saharan Oases".

I don't know if this map will end up with a scenario, or at least interesting to have into the game. Anyway, I can't wait to add people inside it.

Feedback is welcome !

As you can notice on the bird view, I didn't succeed at having a fade out from the dune material to the rock material. Atlas is mostly new for me.

WuEEHl.jpg

UDaq2l.jpg

0dCxSl.jpg

• Like 3

niceee, the Sky is from you(rnder) or in game Editor  Sky?

it's Atlas's sunset sky. By the way, it's too low res. compared to the rest of the scene. I wonder if we could update the sky images for cleaner ones... but well, that's a very secondary detail as the sky is normally not visible..

I really like it, but as a suggestion, perhaps there could be multiple rings of walls around the city or you could have a large number of houses resting around the periphery followed by large amounts of fields.

These are excellent suggestions ! Thank you. I think I'm gonna spend dozens of hours on this map to make it pure epic'ness :)

Very nice, but I really don't think that they had that kind of urban planning in the classical era.

Mmm, according to the plans of Persepolis on this page, my plan is urban planning is not too inaccurate. If you have more sources, I'm very interested. Unfortunately, most of the archeological plans we have from ancient towns only show the palaces and temples disctricts, so we almost don't know how they did set the housing and secondary buildings areas. I must admit too that my main inspiration for this map is the Alexander movie by Oliver Stone, that's why I did this main avenue from the Ishtar gate to a final epic "ziggurat".

it's Atlas's sunset sky. By the way, it's too low res. compared to the rest of the scene. I wonder if we could update the sky images for cleaner ones... but well, that's a very secondary detail as the sky is normally not visible..

The problem is that would make the texture larger, which requires more memory. Besides, the sky is really only intended to be seen indirectly, as reflected in water. Nice screenshots though! (y)