Is my graphics card the reason for performance issues?

I have an nvidia 7600gt with passive cooling and when there are a few hundred characters on the screen my machine starts to get a bit laggy. I have an intel E6600 processor and 6GB of ram.

Should I consider upgrading my graphics card? I'm really out of touch with hardware these days and not sure where I'm falling down performance-wise.

Thanks for reading,

Ten

I have an nvidia 7600gt with passive cooling and when there are a few hundred characters on the screen my machine starts to get a bit laggy. I have an intel E6600 processor and 6GB of ram.

Should I consider upgrading my graphics card? I'm really out of touch with hardware these days and not sure where I'm falling down performance-wise.

Thanks for reading,

Ten

Before you start the game try starting task manager and let it run in the background. When you start to see the game lagging, minimize the game and check CPU usage on task manager's graph. If it looks like it was maxing out the processor, that is your problem, if not it's your graphics.

Also use the in-game profiler by pressing F11. If "render" is taking the most time, then it may well be your graphics card or lack of optimizations in our code, but if you see "sim update" taking much more time, then it's likely nothing to do with your graphics card. FWIW, I think a 7600GT should work well enough with 0 A.D., at least with basic settings.

When I start a new map (with only two factions) CPU is taxed 60-80% on both processors, which I thought shouldn't happen. When things get busy it's more like 95 - 100 and that's when the staccatto starts.

Render is about 37 with the rest usually between 0 - 10

(sim update ~6-18). I guess a new processor would help. I might hold out until the pathfinding becomes threaded and then see if the upgrade is necessary.

I had a look at 'top' during a game and a process with an unusual name was at 106% - it wasn't called 0ad but I've never seen it before and assume it belongs to the package? (if someone want's to jog my memory I think I'll recognise the name).

Edited by TenLeftFingers