===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan War Elephant (and hero elephant)

Mythos_Ruler

African elephant UVs fixed. Now the tail is set to it's corresponding texture space, the neck is also fixed and some extreme stretching has been fixed also.

In addition I've commited the "prop turret" for the temporary support elephant. It will need some more playercolor though. Suggestions?

EDIT: I'll resume soon the work on the armor while working on the docks, but I think Zaggy wants to make some changes on the asian elephant, so I'll focus on the texture rather than the armor geometry

Edited by Enrique

I gave it a try for a new asian elephant mesh. It would be great to hear some input from Zaggy where he wants the edgeloops to bend the knees and such.

Great proportions, but I think the tusks are a bit big for an Asian elephant.

Tusks

All African elephants, male and female, have tusks - whereas only some male Asian elephants have tusks. African tusks are generally bigger. About 50% of female Asian elephants and a small percentage of males have small tusk like teeth known as tushes.

http://www.eleaid.com/index.php?page=differencesbetweenafricanandasianelephants

It's of course possible (and highly probably) that they selected elephants with big, sharp tusks as war elephants, but I think the Maurian support elephant could even be without tusks.

Apart from that, it looks very Asian, great job.

Btw, sorry for telling this so late, but I only notice it with the smaller ears (it makes the tusks more prominent, which shouldn't be the case).

I gave it a try for a new asian elephant mesh. It would be great to hear some input from Zaggy where he wants the edgeloops to bend the knees and such.

Great ! :D

The asian elephant could be a little bit smaller than the african elephant, in my opinion. Apart from that, it's perfect.

@lilstewie : What I mostly notice in the first pictures is that the tusks are carved. Did mauryan also used to cut their elephant's tusks like that ?

The asian elephant could be a little bit smaller than the african elephant, in my opinion. Apart from that, it's perfect.

@lilstewie : What I mostly notice in the first pictures is that the tusks are carved. Did mauryan also used to cut their elephant's tusks like that ?

I dont know if the Mauryans did that. Those first elephants are worker elephants or temple elephants. I dont know why they carve it either.

There are two African elephants. One is the Savanna elephant, which is the largest, and the other is the Forest elephant, which is actually smaller than Asian elephants. Carthage and Egypt used the North African Forest Elephant, which is smaller than the Asian elephant.
  • Like 1

If you can modify it and have it look good (the wrinkles in the skin and stuff), then go ahead.

Some progress on the elephant texture. (I can try to remove the neck-head seam cloning with blender if you think it's very noticeable)

post-13528-0-66606400-1359387681_thumb.j

Also question, do we want both joints (red and blue) to bend the legs? or just the red ones?

post-13528-0-76959700-1359387910_thumb.j

You can see here that they bend the lower part when walking:

Oooh, so nice.

For the seam, I didn't notice it at first. It would of course be better if it was continuous, but I don't think people are going to notice it in the game.

About the bending, it looks like only the front legs are bend twice. You can clearly see that the metacarpus (mid-hand-bone)is longer than the metatarsus (mid-feet-bone).

Also see this movie:

the front legs clearly have two strong bending points. While the hind legs have one strong bend point.

So I would propose the blue and red dots for the front legs, and only the red for the hind legs. Btw, the actual bending point is at the wrist, so it looks like your dot is drawn a bit too low on the front legs.

But a wonderful model.

Cavalry Archer. Basic has one dude on its back. Advanced has 2. Elite has 3. Notice the red colored designs painted on the elephant's skin. Also, note the bells hanging from the neck.

post-130-0-62957700-1358489202_thumb.jpg

War Elephant champion siege unit. Notice how the armour hangs under the elephant.

post-130-0-26269700-1358489205_thumb.jpg

Either Chandragupta Maurya or Ashoka the Great will ride an elephant with a howdah on top, like this:

post-130-0-32285400-1358489200_thumb.jpg

Restarted elephants armor based on those concepts. Still heavy wip.

post-13528-0-63652600-1359744821_thumb.j