===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Temple

Mythos_Ruler

@LordGood: Your renditions look amazing :)

Are you using SketchUp to model? (I recognized the Kerkythea renderer :P)

I prefer your rectangle version because the shape matches with the other factions' temples and can easily be recognized as a temple. Also I think it would look much better in stone rather than wood. We'll just need new textures for the Mauryan buildings. Keep up the great work (y)

Very nice work so far, man! keep it up!

I like that last one (the one with the brown bricks,not white paint).

The decoration part could use stone texture supporting the roof, and use that decoration part on the inner semicircle area, to make easier for the eye to separate the roof.

Edited by Enrique

@LordGood: Your renditions look amazing :)

Are you using SketchUp to model? (I recognized the Kerkythea renderer :P)

I prefer your rectangle version because the shape matches with the other factions' temples and can easily be recognized as a temple. Also I think it would look much better in stone rather than wood. We'll just need new textures for the Mauryan buildings. Keep up the great work (y)

Thanks! I am using sketchup

It's a lot faster and easier than blender, right up until texture application ahaha

I think the stone structures look best, but we're going for a historically accurate game, and I suppose wood was the dominant building material

And I think the semicircle would fit in nicely with the Carthaginian temple, which happens to have one in the front rather than the back

Very nice work so far, man! keep it up!

I like that last one (the one with the brown bricks,not white paint).

The decoration part could use stone texture supporting the roof, and use that decoration part on the inner semicircle area, to make easier for the eye to separate the roof.

Something like this? I sort of just shoved the decor out of the way to make room

62704caf5d54d3833a55e1f80a8be58d-d5k569t.jpg

• Like 1

this guy are amazing, you must make a tutoial how create building faster in Sketch-up, i try its some difficult but most easier than blender

Search youtube for Sketchup tutorials, there are a huge amount.

@lordgood Are you just using the default texture mapping system or a plug-in? I always found I had to do the mapping in 3dsmax for it to work in 0ad.

Search youtube for Sketchup tutorials, there are a huge amount.

@lordgood Are you just using the default texture mapping system or a plug-in? I always found I had to do the mapping in 3dsmax for it to work in 0ad.

I manually adjusted the textures myself, the default system doesnt work too well on curved planes

The back is a little bland, I pulled out the wooden beam a bit

f792056b9c9734e6b3eb54698321b350-d5k569t.jpg

This is the best one so far. Easily. I didn't realize that the model was hollow :o If you want, you can put a little altar or buddha statue in the center of the semi-circular part. Temple 18 was an "apsidal", so that's where the altar would've been. This page has some images of the altars in similar temples.

The outside is the important part though. If these altars murder the poly count, don't bother. It's good enough to use in game as is IMO ;P

Edited by gudo

This is the best one so far. Easily. I didn't realize that the model was hollow :o If you want, you can put a little altar or buddha statue in the center of the semi-circular part. Temple 18 was an "apsidal", so that's where the altar would've been. This page has some images of the altars in similar temples.

The outside is the important part though. If these altars murder the poly count, don't bother. It's good enough to use in game as is IMO ;P

I also think that's the best one, because of the wood. Don't put a Buddha statue in this period. If you notice, all of the reliefs are about Buddha's life, but they'll never show his figure. It's a later development.

Maybe some sort of fire alter.

Edited by lilstewie

that is the problem are a lot, i idea for suggest to me? believe me create in Sketch up its not too easy.

(If your OK with the tutorials being in English) I would always suggest Google's tutorials first:

1. www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPkv9tRuO-c
  2. www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS11K5PgHkc
  3. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJntmJxi78
  4. www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc0yunYvM7U

Then I'd pick and choose from the "Google Sketchup Toolbar Series" which goes through the more detailed uses of each tool.

(You can find them here)

Could you try to make sure that there aren't any seams in the textures' UVs? I think it would be preferable to have slightly stretched textures and few to no seams rather than no stretching and tons of seams...

I don't have UV mapping in SU, I'm placing these planes manually, there isnt much I can do about it

that is the problem are a lot, i idea for suggest to me? believe me create in Sketch up its not too easy.

The best thing you can do is practice. Also the secret to Sketchup is in the use of Components, they let you work on multiple areas of your model at the same time, which is an incredible time saver. Once you know the basic workings of the program, you will eventually find out how to carve hours out of a long painful model construction, believe me, I've been doing it for about four years now.

If you find lots of different parts of your model are sticking together, seperate them into groups, since they are easier to manage.

I hope this helps you out, cheers! and good luck!

f792056b9c9734e6b3eb54698321b350-d5k569t.jpg

I like it a lot !

Two remarks :

I wonder if it would look better as a temple if you remove the two last windows in the back, or try a kind of grid to close the 2 or 4 last windows a little bit. In a temple, you need to feel an inimacy, a closed space, peaceful and probably lightened by candle light a big part of the time. If a Buddha statue is not accurate, I'd rather see an altar, like a block with on both sides some plates with rose petals, something like that. The flower color could catch the eye through the windows ! :)

I think the white-wall version back is too soft for a temple. I mean, their place of adoration should be imponent and have everything their money could buy, not just be a soft drink can with cool windows. Don't ask me what, but it lacks something to keep the majesty of the front of the building.

BTW, i tried Sketch Up once and it seems i underestimated its power... Good job, dude.