===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Temple

Mythos_Ruler

This very large image of what remains at the site has some period pillars in the middle. They're square, not round. Assuming Mytho's picture is an acurite map, I beleive that those pillars belong to the structure you modled, due to the shape of the foundation and the proximity to the Great Stupa.

Most images I've seen of the site have square pillars. Here's another of the same pillars. Here is the remains of one of the smaller structures in Mythos' picture. Note the shadow of pillars across the foreground. There is some ornamental carving, but the top and bottoms of the pillars are still square.

[EDIT]The images I've been linking to are images of ASI Monument Number N-MP-220, Temple 18. Here is yet another shot of those pillars. They don't have the double pillars on the front of the structure, but neither does the structure in Mytho's image.

Hmm.... According to this link says that Temple 18 was built on the foundations of an earlier Mauryan temple. But this one says that Temple 18 dates to the second century BCE. So it's the right place, it just might not be the right pillars. >_> I still believe the pillars should be square though.[/EDIT]

[Moar EDIT]We need Temple 40. It dates to the Maurayan period.

The second apsidal temple at Sanchi, No. 40 of Sir John Marshall’s plan, was entirely buried under ground when he started the exploration of Sanchi and was in fact discovered by him. It was built on a rectangular stone plinth 11 high, 87 long and 45 broad. Inside this plinth were found the foundations of the Chaitya- hall. Sir John Marshall also discovered remains of charred wood which formed the superstructure. He estimates that the conflagration took place some time before the beginning of the Christian era and therefore the original structure may date back to the Maurya period.
Source

More on Temple 40 including foundation dimensions. Images of what's left of Temple 40.

Edited by gudo

This very large image of what remains at the site has some period pillars in the middle. They're square, not round. Assuming Mytho's picture is an acurite map, I beleive that those pillars belong to the structure you modled, due to the shape of the foundation and the proximity to the Great Stupa.

Most images I've seen of the site have square pillars. Here's another of the same pillars. Here is the remains of one of the smaller structures in Mythos' picture. Note the shadow of pillars across the foreground. There is some ornamental carving, but the top and bottoms of the pillars are still square.

[EDIT]The images I've been linking to are images of ASI Monument Number N-MP-220, Temple 18. Here is yet another shot of those pillars. They don't have the double pillars on the front of the structure, but neither does the structure in Mytho's image.

Hmm.... According to this link says that Temple 18 was built on the foundations of an earlier Mauryan temple. But this one says that Temple 18 dates to the second century BCE. So it's the right place, it just might not be the right pillars. >_> I still believe the pillars should be square though.[/EDIT]

Thanks a lot for the sources, square pillars also help the poly count

How's this?88c7555917acc4fc5696a926f3d7a1a5-d5k569t.jpg

Edited by LordGood

@Gudo : Congratulations for your search ! That is very helpful and well sourced. I appreciate a lot the details of your comment.

@LordGood : The last version is very good. I would open the windows, and I would try to make columns with varying levels shape like on this ref photo.

So more like this?mauryan_temple_by_lordgood-d5k569t.jpg

It really hikes up the polygon count, but it was pretty light beforehand anyway, this should be alright

So more like this?

It really hikes up the polygon count, but it was pretty light beforehand anyway, this should be alright

Yes, the columns are looking great. But to save polygons, you could simplify the round part at their top. Also, you can simplify the hald-circle at the bottom of the stairs.

And I feel like ths front wall is much too stuck to the columns. So, unless this is historically accurate, I'd see more the wall really behind the columns, not half inside them.

I feel like you guys should use a lot more wood.

We took a few... artistic liberties... to spice up the model a bit

Such quasi columns don't really exist in India. It's more of a European thing.

6zewQ.jpg

Even when they are cutting through rock, they have the columns more like your first model.

can-stock-photo_csp9940996.jpg

Edited by lilstewie

Yeah... Decorate the arch like the barrel arches on your Gate. Also, according to the sources I linked, the superstructure of Temple 18 and 40 were both wood. The foundation should be small stones like you have it, and the pillars should be single large stones like you have it, but much of the non-structural bits should be wood.

The temple complexes were carved stone for the most part weren't they? I figure the wooden structures would be more about the houses, mills and such

No, carving out a large block of stone is later development.

But look at the columns for those examples as well. They don't have quasi columns.

153510319-ancient-rock-temple-five-rathas-india-photos-com.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=B53F616F4B95E5531E74905DC0B6809E4A9D799D06CC125B6D2E3C4DD61DBAC3A3DD322FBBA82694

6126623888_975662ed81_z.jpg

603127_445664908791655_2027701945_n.jpg

Edited by lilstewie

No, carving out a large block of stone is later development.

But look at the columns for those examples as well. They don't have quasi columns.

153510319-ancient-rock-temple-five-rathas-india-photos-com.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=B53F616F4B95E5531E74905DC0B6809E4A9D799D06CC125B6D2E3C4DD61DBAC3A3DD322FBBA82694

6126623888_975662ed81_z.jpg

603127_445664908791655_2027701945_n.jpg

I modeled the columns after these at temple 17

Temle_17%2C_Sanchi.jpg

are these of the wrong time period? Im not much of a Mauryan history buff if you havent guessed xP

Lordgood. I'm not talking about the different shape of the columns.

I'm talking about how it looks it's like a relief to the building.

It's a Roman style I believe. That became more popular in the renaissance.

6zewQ.jpg

008.jpg

99ca29039324d3b11ac0310098b40ea8-d5k569t.jpg

mauryan_temple_by_lordgood-d5k569t.jpg

This is more better. The column is complete looking.

Edited by lilstewie