===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Docks and Ships

Mythos_Ruler

Hey Josh, I think there's something that doesn't sell the model.

Could you please post more images from different angles to judge better?

Sure, I'll post some more images from different angles tonight, but first I'm hoping to re-do the sail today, finish the rigging and tweak the textures some more.

Josh, I think you need to change the hull shape. Judging by the screenshot taken from the right, I think the waterplane will intersect with the hull and the ship will look full of water.

From the same screenshot I can tell that the curvature of the ship (the part that is inside the water) doesn't seem to be "floating" in a realistic way. (there's very little part of the ship underwater, which would make it very unstable)

Also I would like you to work more on the bird head (polygons and texture), or discard it. I don't think a fishing boat would have many decorations like that one. Maybe you can add more overall small details and decorations (even on the texture) to make it look more interesting.

Josh, I think you need to change the hull shape. Judging by the screenshot taken from the right, I think the waterplane will intersect with the hull and the ship will look full of water.

From the same screenshot I can tell that the curvature of the ship (the part that is inside the water) doesn't seem to be "floating" in a realistic way. (there's very little part of the ship underwater, which would make it very unstable)

Also I would like you to work more on the bird head (polygons and texture), or discard it. I don't think a fishing boat would have many decorations like that one. Maybe you can add more overall small details and decorations (even on the texture) to make it look more interesting.

Do you think you could see if you could come up with a good texture for the peacock head? I tried to by modifying the peacock texture and it looked absolutely terrible. :P

I had been unclear that the water table extends inside boats, now I understand everyone's comments on the hull shape and depth. I'll try to redesign the hull today if I have time (the hull has been way overdue for a re-build anyway ;) ).

I attached the current texture, if you see any improvements that could be done please do them. :)

post-14700-0-78744600-1353249435_thumb.p

Well, It's a week late :closedeyes:, but here's a preview of the new hull.

EDIT

BTW, Please comment. I did this section of the hull to see what you guys think before I finish the rest of the hull.

EDIT 2

Added picture of completed new hull.

post-14700-0-12605500-1353880418_thumb.p

post-14700-0-12536600-1353901342_thumb.p

Edited by Josh

@ Josh : that's ok for me. The hull could be a little bit more U shaped, but that will be alright for that boat I think.

Can you change your edge style settings in Sketchup ? Those stressed vertices are uncomfortable to fully enjoy your model.

There might be some tips about that here : http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-modify-edge-settings-in-google-sketchup-8.html

Also, to make the thread more visual, can you use the image button to insert your picture, instead of a link ? (unless you prefer it like that, of course)

@ Josh : that's ok for me. The hull could be a little bit more U shaped, but that will be alright for that boat I think.

Can you change your edge style settings in Sketchup ? Those stressed vertices are uncomfortable to fully enjoy your model.

There might be some tips about that here : http://www.dummies.c...sketchup-8.html

Also, to make the thread more visual, can you use the image button to insert your picture, instead of a link ? (unless you prefer it like that, of course)

Of wow, thanks for that link, I was oblivious of the styles window. It's now been changed so it looks much better. Also on inserting the pictures, I guess I could do that but then I have to upload the files to another host (unfortunately my website host is down for the moment so I'll add them as an attachment again).

Here's another picture (FYI the floor isn't finished and I need to add the crates and seat again):

post-14700-0-06302200-1354035984_thumb.p

It looks nice overall, but it feels generic. I mean, that design could fit in any faction.

I think you should reconsider to change the hull shape to something like this curved ones suggested by Mythos: http://bharatdiscove...1/15/Lothal.jpg

If you take a closer look to the references gathered on this thread, it looks like the curved hull ("U" shape) is common in all of them with horizontal stripes or "reinforcements". Like this other one from lilstewie: http://www.wildfireg...=20#entry254883

We will also need a wider planks texture from side to side of the hull. And horizontal reinforcements could be done with geometry for more detail.

It looks nice overall, but it feels generic. I mean, that design could fit in any faction.

I think you should reconsider to change the hull shape to something like this curved ones suggested by Mythos: http://bharatdiscove...1/15/Lothal.jpg

If you take a closer look to the references gathered on this thread, it looks like the curved hull ("U" shape) is common in all of them with horizontal stripes or "reinforcements". Like this other one from lilstewie: http://www.wildfireg...=20#entry254883

We will also need a wider planks texture from side to side of the hull. And horizontal reinforcements could be done with geometry for more detail.

Well not to disprove you or anything, but the city depicted in the first source was abandoned in 1900 BC according to Wikipedia and the second source depicts a row boat not a sail boat. But I do like your idea of the striped-looking reinforcement and I'll see if I can add something similar. Thanks for your input it helps significantly!

No problem. I know Harappan culture dates far from 0 A.D. time frame, but looking at the ships references gathered also on the Mauryans civ thread you can find 1st/2nd century BC depictions of ships that kept the "U" shaped hull.

This post has some references closer to 0 A.D. times: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16056&st=380&p=250414entry250414

• 2 weeks later...