===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Docks and Ships

Mythos_Ruler

I have an idea what profile sailboats need, I have been doing competitive sailboat racing twice a week in the spring and fall for two and a half years.

And I have to argue about the hull. From what I can find historically the hulls were quite shallow

(As seen here and here as quick historical examples here for an example from age of empires)

Besides all the above I will add another layer on top of the current hull. I will be back with that shortly.

(Sorry if I sound angry)

You dont sound angry mate :)

I dont think Ludo is speaking about the shallowness of the hull rather than how steeply it pitches inward, it seems like the angle at the bottom of the hull is very extreme coming from the sides

maybe instead of a V make it more of a U, and i think the shallowness is accurate

I have an idea what profile sailboats need, I have been doing competitive sailboat racing twice a week in the spring and fall for two and a half years.

And I have to argue about the hull. From what I can find historically the hulls were quite shallow

(Sorry if I sound angry)

Sorry too if I sound too directive. Indeed hulls can be very shallow, but my remark is not on the shallowness. My remark is on the V shape instead of a U shape of the hull. From my experience and observation of boats, a straight V shape dont stands stable. Your source photos are excellent and show a curved hull (like a U, but flat), not a "V" hull.

EDIT : LordGood post just a same moment! and explains my remark in a much better english than me ! :P

Is this better? (I added a water plane to make it easier to visualize and sorry for the odd angle I just did this corner to see what you think :) )

Yes! that looks much better

You are working in sketchup yes? If so, you can actually cut the boat in half, turn it into a component and copy it and flip it over the width of the boat, that way you work on both halves at the same time and work much more quickly

Yes! that looks much better

You are working in sketchup yes? If so, you can actually cut the boat in half, turn it into a component and copy it and flip it over the width of the boat, that way you work on both halves at the same time and work much more quickly

Yes I am working in Sketchup and thanks for the suggestion but I think I will just draw the right side, select, copy and invert it using scale.

OK, here's the boat with new hull, it still needs some cargo props, a steering oar, ropes, possibly a person, and texturing.

Again suggestions are welcome, and thank you for all the suggestions you've already given. :)

No problem :)

Any way we could add a feature or two that would make it distinctly Mauryan? perhaps a figurehead on the prow? I'm not too well versed in ancient Indian culture myself :/

No problem :)

Any way we could add a feature or two that would make it distinctly Mauryan? perhaps a figurehead on the prow? I'm not too well versed in ancient Indian culture myself :/

I'm not very well versed either, but I was thinking some sort of carvings/decoration on the stern and some sort of symbol on the sail. I'm not so sure about a figure head on the prow though, I think it would use a lot of polys and not be very visible in-game.(But If you feel to the contrary, feel free to say so :) )

Edited by Josh

Take a look under your spoiler on the first page :P Try and work in the bird shaped bow, and colored sails. I'd say player-color sails and railing.

1. "player-color sails" You took the thoughts out of my head!
  2. "bird shaped bow" I'll see what I can do, animals/people never seem to come out right when I draw them. :down: But I'll give it a try.
  3. "player-color... railing" I'm not quite sure what you mean with this but if you mean a strip of player-color along each side, I agree!

(I attached a quick 3ds max render just to give a better view of the current model)

post-14700-0-33711000-1352344487_thumb.j

wrt bird bow: Maybe you can take the peacock model, scale it, stick the bird on the front and model off of that. Although, it turns out that Chandragupta (the man who founded the Mauryan Empire) may have been raised by peacock tamers. The Word "Maurya" is very close to the word "Peacock". And Peacocks were the mount of Gods... Maybe the Peacock is a bit too prestigious for the front of a fishing ship :P

LordGood, I like very much how you separated the quay and the building ! That really gives a sense of sea shore location. The building still feels too heavy for me, too stone, but why not.. I'd also say it lacks a warehouse or any kind of easily accessible storage directly from the quay. I imagine the unloading of a boat and the need to shelter the load quickly without climbing the stairs, etc. For now it feels like an administrative building rather than a utilitary one. I'm sorry, I should make sketches to illustrate all my suggestions :P but time is rare these days..

LordGood, I just tried a quick mockup on Gimp to give a better idea of what I mean. It's not great that way, that large entrance needs more style, for sure, but such a large view on the inside would allow the building to have more life than just on the quay, with various props visible inside. Don't imitate my mockup, do as you feel. :)

jP7oDl.jpg

Good ! Just don't forget to keep the inside easily accessible from the quay, so maybe add a stair and remove the low wall at the place where I did my mockup opening. For now here, the inside seems accessible only from the boat that docks in the middle :)

I enjoy seeing the ornament structure now transparent. Maybe thicken the beams so that thet look strong enough for this roof. Same for the wall on the left, it's a bit too thin now, even made of timber. Just a tiny larger :)

Also, if I may : the quay pathway needs more space. Near the big stone pillars, the pathway is interrupted. You probably can enlarge the platform on each side of the building, having more span to lay props of all kinds.