===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Stupa, Wonder, and Edict Pillar of Ashoka

Mythos_Ruler

Do you mean a full-white-plastered stupa? All references show the bricks :-/

Do we want a white boring stupa then? I just want to hear more opinions :S

It's up to you guys, but historically they plastered pretty much a lot of things. Including stupas. I personally also like what you have too.

In the reliefs they would make those brick marks visible.. Like examples below.

5yCfNsM.jpg?1

enyshn2.jpg

SKZtqcs.jpg

rprXZvx.jpg

^^^

Above shows walls, etc with bricks without plaster over it.

If you look at most of the stupas they have plaster over it.

JMnMg.jpg?1

QxqcHjb.jpg

WM7r0.jpg

etc

This is the only one below I have seen without a layer of plaster. It's a small one.

sanchi-figures.jpg

great-stupa-sanchi-india-10-b-c-e-15-c-e.jpg

sanchi_stupa-1b.jpg

You can see a layer of plaster still on it.

Edited by lilstewie

lol Really?

I mean, I love to hear this community criticism about my work and it's always constructive and really helps artists to push the quality bar even further. But you have to understand that sometimes such finest detail/accuracy is out of scope, specially for an RTS.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage anyone to keep suggesting/critique. I just don't see the point on the lions.

Should I go with one of these?

Good! I personally think this dome should be plastered, if it was in real History, but for now I must admit it doesn't look as good as the stone version...

The white texture is for now a bit too grey and need to be rescaled so the details get more tiny. Can you try that Enrique ?

If it's the Wonder, it has to "shine" somehow. As an example, here is the Stupa of Swayambhunath in Nepal :

Le_stupa_de_Swayambhunath_%C3%A0_Katmandou_%288435897258%29.jpg

Looking at that picture, I'm thinking the game's stupa maybe needs parts of gold and colorful stuffs hanging like that. What do you think ?

Fully plastered and partial plastered:

post-13528-0-86847800-1361798380_thumb.jpost-13528-0-16697300-1361798387_thumb.j

Should I go with one of these?

Hmm if we're going to do this, would the whole thing be plastered or only the dome? It makes me wonder about our other Mauryan structures as well: not enough plaster, if this was a common trait? I favor the more historically accurate appearance, the same approach we've taken for other civs and structures.

Hmm if we're going to do this, would the whole thing be plastered or only the dome? It makes me wonder about our other Mauryan structures as well: not enough plaster, if this was a common trait? I favor the more historically accurate appearance, the same approach we've taken for other civs and structures.

All mauryan buildings (except military ones and CC exterior) have some plastered parts.

I think I have the stupa you're looking for:

post-13528-0-64045200-1361895734_thumb.j :whistling::lol2: :lol2:

Jokes aside, I'll focus now on the walls segments/wall tower/gate, which is higher priority, and I'll come back to tweak the stupa with the proposed changes. Thanks for your feedback guys! :)

For now I've commited some details for the fence that I was already working on :D:

post-13528-0-58193900-1361895756_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yes please, walls are more important :)

lilstewie's already shown us that some stupa's weren't plastered at all - so both the unplastered and partly plastered versions will be used and are 'historically' sound.

Such large stupas would be plastered for sure. People would probably think it was unfinished if they saw a large stupa with brick marks still showing.

The example below is rather small, humble. Amd also atypical because it doesnt have plaster over the bricks.

sanchi-figures.jpg

Edited by lilstewie

• 3 weeks later...