===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Elephant Stables

Mythos_Ruler

I was at a museum of Asian art yesterday and I found this Ancient Indian relief of an Elephant Stable that I thought would be helpful even though you guys seem to be almost done with the stables's model...F1932.25.jpg

the stables seem to be in the lower left hand side of the relief and it appears that they would have been attached to the palace of the king who is shows inside the building that looks kind of like our civic center model. Maybe we could add this kind of elephant stable to the market building or the civic center.

The archaeological site where this was found is called Bharhut (for further reference see the museum's website http://www.asia.si.edu/)

Here's a kinda similar pic.

xwVxb.jpg

I have a feeling the structure is a small gate way to the building.

Bharhut-Original-00003.jpg

You can see chariot/horses going though the same structure.

Again

Bharhut-Original-00012.jpg

Bharhut-Original-00014.jpg

Edited by lilstewie

We doing the columns or macaronis?

I also looked at the reference image you posted atenmeses52. The animal in the stable is a horse, the tail is too long for it to be an elephant, and they seem to require different accomodations

We can lose the doors if you prefer, I'm not sure the building needs to be taller as much as it would need to be wider.

post-14999-0-64441000-1356911761_thumb.j

We doing the columns or macaronis?

I also looked at the reference image you posted atenmeses52. The animal in the stable is a horse, the tail is too long for it to be an elephant, and they seem to require different accomodations

We can lose the doors if you prefer, I'm not sure the building needs to be taller as much as it would need to be wider.

post-14999-0-64441000-1356911761_thumb.j

This looks really good. The macaronis are fine. I still think it needs to be taller, or at least the doorways taller. I don't see how the elephants could fit through the doorways.

• 3 weeks later...

It's in ;) Any other models you think are ready to get them in-game? docks? walls?

post-13528-0-43507000-1358447907_thumb.j

Hmm looking now at the screenshot I think it needs a placement decal ^_^

You guys should have the plastered look like this on majority of the buildings I think.

Even the Stupas are plastered. Basically there shouldn't be much of the "visible marks", because of the plaster over it.

You guys should read this paper. Amazing insight into the period.

I have reserved to the last the question of what materials the religious buildings

were made, whether of stone or of wood. Excepting in one solitary instance, there are no

visible marks to declare the nature of the material, but in that one instance of the walls

of the TrihitiJca or dwelling of the Njigas, the layers of masonry breaking bond are too

plain and distinct to be mistaken. But the Stupa itself was a mass of brick masonry,

although there are no indications of masonry in the representations of Stupas in the bas-

reliefs. This may perhaps be explained by the fact that masonry walls were usually

plastered over, and as the plaster presented a plain surface there were no marks to represent. This explanation -would also be a sufficient reason for the absence of masonry

marks in the other religious buildings.

http://www.archive.o...181111_djvu.txt

Edited by lilstewie

You mean the water troughs or the shields?

Both.
EDIT: BTW, are we going to animate the elephants inside? or should I add ambient occlusion to them as well?

What would you prefer to do? The 3 elephants can be three different prop points and we use the regular elephant mesh and idles, or they can just be static props with AO.