===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Elephant Stables

Mythos_Ruler

I have yet to import the elephant and make necessary changes around it, here are the curved supports and doors, I also hollowed out the inside a bit more. this configuration doesnt seem to look as strong to me as the previous (not regarding the thinner walls), but I'm open to suggestions.

post-14999-0-92298900-1355477708_thumb.j

Cool that you made the inner walls thinner.

I'm looking forward to seeing the elephant scale compared to your model before judging, but maybe the entrance of the boxes will deserve more width, to make this all spacy enough for those awesome pachyderms.

Also, I'm wondering if the building isn't too large for the game... though I love it that big !

Did you start some texturing on it ?

Cool that you made the inner walls thinner.

I'm lookinf forward to seeing the elephant scale compared to your model before judging, but maybe the entrance of the boxes will deserve more width, to make this all spacy enough for those awesome pachyderms.

Also, I'm wondering if the building isn't too large for the game... though I love it that big !

Did you start some texturing on it ?

I'm guessing right now the doors and roof will have to be taller. Other than that, I really like the direction.

Jesus... :o

What's the over/under on how long it would take for the game to crash with a model of that detail? 0.4 ms?

Haha... love that reaction.

I must have been sending you guys some massive buildings, I've been building them to the scale of the human model~

post-14999-0-23219400-1355636760_thumb.j

One of the shortcomings of SkecthUp is the scaling of exported models. Really drives me crazy. I used to think it only happened to me.

One of the shortcomings of SkecthUp is the scaling of exported models. Really drives me crazy. I used to think it only happened to me.

It happened to me with blender too, until I started importing other finished models for scale reference.

@LordGood

Nice work with the elephant stables, I like them with the doors, some could be open and others closed ;)

Haha... love that reaction.

i think that too Geek XD. may be Kimball have the reason. that model are complex. i love the Illustrations that guys Lordgood in Deviant art.

Its not bad idea scouting in that page for other artist or talented guys.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Well the easy answer is that SketchUp was not designed for the way we're using it. They designed it to be easy to use, so you wind up with a lot of messy geometry. It's like trying to use a WYSIWYG editor to write a standards-compliant website. Remember that the original intention was to model buildings for Google Earth - exporting to common formats came later.

Well the easy answer is that SketchUp was not designed for the way we're using it. They designed it to be easy to use, so you wind up with a lot of messy geometry. It's like trying to use a WYSIWYG editor to write a standards-compliant website. Remember that the original intention was to model buildings for Google Earth - exporting to common formats came later.

I keep hearing that Sketchup exports messy geometry, but what do you mean by that? Does it over-triangulate or do you mean something else? Also to avoid Sketchup's exporters completely 3DS Max supports opening Sketchup save-files (skp files) directly.

I keep hearing that Sketchup exports messy geometry, but what do you mean by that? Does it over-triangulate or do you mean something else? Also to avoid Sketchup's exporters completely 3DS Max supports opening Sketchup save-files (skp files) directly.

Tons of duplicated vertices, unneccesary geometry (over-triangulate), messy topology with several poles (even more than 6 edged-poles)

And the lack of UV unwrapping :(

Tons of duplicated vertices, unneccesary geometry (over-triangulate), messy topology with several poles (even more than 6 edged-poles)

And the lack of UV unwrapping :(

That's why, seeing that how talented you already are with modelling, LordGood, is that I urge you to try to take some time to learn Blender to make everything easer for everyone. It would be a shame to not use your awesome models, but I guess it would also be bad the huge amount of re-work that Enrique or someone has to do to fix Sketchup's issue.

I already directed you to some basic Blender tutorials on this thread. If you could take a few hours to try it, we would all be glad. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a museum of Asian art yesterday and I found this Ancient Indian relief of an Elephant Stable that I thought would be helpful even though you guys seem to be almost done with the stables's model...F1932.25.jpg

the stables seem to be in the lower left hand side of the relief and it appears that they would have been attached to the palace of the king who is shows inside the building that looks kind of like our civic center model. Maybe we could add this kind of elephant stable to the market building or the civic center.

The archaeological site where this was found is called Bharhut (for further reference see the museum's website http://www.asia.si.edu/)

Edited by Atenmeses52