===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Farmstead, Mill, and Corral

Mythos_Ruler

Everyone needs to zoom out on their screenshots of their work, for a game-like view of their structures. (y)

Building concepts album: http://www.wildfireg....php?cat_id=182

Beautiful concept art, It's easier for me to take a minute, draw a rough messy sketch, then model it :P. (I'm more of an engineer than an artist)

If anyone could draw some concept art for the drop site I would gladly model it.

More zoomed out? Here you go:

post-14700-0-66575400-1354413803_thumb.p

That is a much better angle and gives us a better idea how the structure would look in the game. (y)

It's not bad, but I think it could be better. Let me trawl the concept sketches and give some suggested samples.

EDIT: Maybe take some ideas from these:

http://www.wildfiregames.com/0ad/album_page.php?pic_id=6929

http://www.wildfiregames.com/0ad/album_page.php?pic_id=6262 (upper left)

Well the concept art gave me some ideas, here's the result (cart is incomplete):

post-14700-0-34573300-1354425023_thumb.p

Comment =)

Hi Josh !

Good start for the model.

-Could you try to change the shape of your roof to something similar as the already-modeled Mauryan buildings ? Take a look at the curve and framework details in Lordgood's houses for example. It doesn't have to be exactly the same, sure, but it's probably better to keep an harmony in the style and geometry.

-I also suggest having a second silo, maybe smaller than the other and maybe designed slightly differently, so we feel like the dropsite manages different kinds of resources (grains, vegetables, fruits)

-About the silo's door : I think you can remove the bottom part of its frame, and I suggest you give the door the same texture as the other door.

-Chimney : I would have it a bit taller and slightly thicker.

-And finally, just to help to visualize your model better, can you put higher quality textures (maybe just change their resolution) to the silo roof and to the ground ?

Josh, before posting pictures, can you crop out all the unnecessary space around your model ? That will facilitate the view a lot.

Hi Josh !

Good start for the model.

-Could you try to change the shape of your roof to something similar as the already-modeled Mauryan buildings ? Take a look at the curve and framework details in Lordgood's houses for example. It doesn't have to be exactly the same, sure, but it's probably better to keep an harmony in the style and geometry.

-I also suggest having a second silo, maybe smaller than the other and maybe designed slightly differently, so we feel like the dropsite manages different kinds of resources (grains, vegetables, fruits)

-About the silo's door : I think you can remove the bottom part of its frame, and I suggest you give the door the same texture as the other door.

-Chimney : I would have it a bit taller and slightly thicker.

-And finally, just to help to visualize your model better, can you put higher quality textures (maybe just change their resolution) to the silo roof and to the ground ?

Josh, before posting pictures, can you crop out all the unnecessary space around your model ? That will facilitate the view a lot.

Where would you suggest putting a second silo? I made some of the other modifications (cart will be filled with hay eventually):

post-14700-0-65748500-1354473632_thumb.p

Edit: I forgot to mention, the ground texture is just representative and the roof texture will be fixed I'm just not sure how at this point.

Edited by Josh

Well... I've taken a quick look at your model and I'd love to map it, however there are a lot of extra-vertexes and faces... Too unnecessary stuff going on. At least the topology of the main structure is a mess. Maybe it's mostly sketchup fault, not yours.

It's a nice model, but... I really don't know what to do. If I should do it. ;)

Josh I'm looking at your model in SketchUp and i like it. However the windows might be problamatic. In monochrome mode, one can see that should the camera point at the window, the interior wall would not be rendered. Perhaps make the wall double faced (offset the interior wall by making a rectangle underneath and using the offset tool [i believe its shortcut key is F]). Also I think its logical (although no historical evidence to back it up) that small buildings such as a mill would not have stone roofs but rather cheap wooden ones or even flat roofs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

perhaps we could have a more structural field, and maybe not have the soldiers stab it like they do now

perhaps sow the field with salt animation, could be the same for sowing to build the field, or something like that. I know it doesnt quite fit in this context just now, but it could be something to consider later.

post-14999-0-99168400-1357233418_thumb.j

post-14999-0-68613500-1357233430_thumb.j

post-14999-0-24911100-1357233455_thumb.j

• Like 1

perhaps we could have a more structural field, and maybe not have the soldiers stab it like they do now

perhaps sow the field with salt animation, could be the same for sowing to build the field, or something like that. I know it doesnt quite fit in this context just now, but it could be something to consider later.

I really like how those look, but structural fields won't work properly unless someone implements terrain flattening.

We wouldn't want fields to flatten terrain. So what we'd want is a way for the wheat stalks to conform to the terrain.

And that functionality would also then be used for props around structures :)

Mauryan Mill:

MNWuX.jpg

It's based on LordGood's model and some of Mythos Rulers concept art. Still not completely finished, but it's nearly there :)