===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Barracks

Spahbod

I wouldn't get too far from the basic designs of the other Barracks. Should probably try some other configurations to see what looks best. Take some configuration cues from the other barracks (Persians, Greeks, etc.).

Aaah the standard barracks model.that dreaded building layout harks back to AoM and AOE 2 and 3

i do not like it at all, I find it poorly balanced and easy to spot due to its repeatative nature. The bulk of the one side and the lightness of the other really tears the model apart :/ it also limits its aesthetic when it's braced against other buildings at it's front

that's just my opinion though

I took away the substructure and find it kind of plain, which is why I added it in the first place

added some detailed balconies and sheilds

still have to take some detail out of the entry gateway and reconfigure a few things, too many sheilds and such

tell me what you think, I'll reconfigure to the norm if you really want me to :S

mauryan_barracks_by_lordgood-d5k8u7x.jpg

LordGood, that's going in a great direction. I like the pathway around the building.

thanks Ludo

I think I'm going to wait for a bit more feedback before I start texturing, Mythos might want me to change it to the standard Barracks model, or something like it

and texturing is painful

@Lord

Why don't you use those railing designs on more of your buildings?

Personally, I like the last 2 little more than the first. Mythos wants something like the first 2 I believe.

I like those gates. ^_^

thank ya :)

I use those railings on most of my buildings save one or two, given that they are incredibly high poly. I try to keep them to a minimum while representing them all the same.

I could probably spruce up the first one a bit

jawohl mein herr

how bout the one on the left? I'm still not much of a fan of the regular plan though

My favourites are the first one (on the right right) and the one on the left. One thing that I think is interesting in the architecture of the one on the left is that it's symetrical, which gives it a sense of order, which fits very well with the training of soldiers. That's the main reason why I think it's a very adapted design. The other reason is the courtyard, that feels spaceful and strong. I vote for the left version ! :)

To save polygons and keep sense to the architecture, you can remove the part of the fence that goes around the high-rise building. It's only necessary around the courtyard. For now, it doubles the wall and doesn't serve as fence at all there.

Congratulations LordGood for so active updates !

I like all of them! :P

I like the center one but looks less interesting than the other two.

Why don't add a shorter version of the module you deleted from the previous design? If you start the wall from there the courtyard would be rectangular and a bit bigger and would help with the "closed" look it has now.

some tweaking, have the lower quality toran and a staggered roof on the crenelated one, tried to make the balcony barracks a little more interesting and took out the second railing, and put the extension back but rescaled it closer to the main building on the ramp one

The one in the foreground is my favourite. I still think the rail shouldn't go around the building, just should circle the "U" shaped balcony/terrace. That's pure architectural logic to me. :)