modern warfare reaches 0 A.D.

Ilves

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, i just joined the mod development team as a programmer.

First of all i would like to say, this game engine is very interesting. I actually like it alot. I never saw Javascript as part of a game engine before (I havent seen many), but it made me wonder if that isnt a bit slow. On the other hand i just seems to be more about ingame logic as hardocre algorthims that have to run fast.

But i just started and i have no orientation yet and It would be awesome if you guys could help me out. I dont have a concrete question yet but if you could give me some starting advice it would be nice.

Hello, i just joined the mod development team as a programmer.

First of all i would like to say, this game engine is very interesting. I actually like it alot. I never saw Javascript as part of a game engine before (I havent seen many), but it made me wonder if that isnt a bit slow. On the other hand i just seems to be more about ingame logic as hardocre algorthims that have to run fast.

But i just started and i have no orientation yet and It would be awesome if you guys could help me out. I dont have a concrete question yet but if you could give me some starting advice it would be nice.

It's hard to give good advice in response to such a wide question. However, it's definitely a good idea to check out http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GettingStartedProgrammers (and the other resources listed under http://trac.wildfiregames.com/#Forprogrammers: etc on the Trac wiki) even if you're not going to program for 0 A.D. Also, checking out 0 A.D. and compiling the code and taking a look at the game both in the playing the game sense and in the reading the code sense is to recommend. + log in to the IRC channel (#0ad-dev at irc.quakenet.org http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=0ad-dev ) :)

Javascript is approaching native speeds nowadays, it isn't too slow. However, algorithms that require a lot of juice (like pathfinding) are implemented in C++.

• 3 weeks later...

Ohhh, our whole storyline lasts for 20 years up to year 2030 or so, there will be plenty of sci-fi in future episodes :P We have already began working on one sci-fi unit (currently it's a surprise).

Recently I made two new planes:

Ruslan.jpg

an225.jpg

Here comes the question: I've found the Mustang unit in the Scenario editor. It has two states: laying on the ground and laying on the ground with chassis outside.

What should I do to make the plane flying? I want to replace the Mustang with my planes in flight.

Sorry for n00bish questions, I'm a 3D artist, not a coder :D

Here comes the question: I've found the Mustang unit in the Scenario editor. It has two states: laying on the ground and laying on the ground with chassis outside.

What should I do to make the plane flying? I want to replace the Mustang with my planes in flight.

Sorry for n00bish questions, I'm a 3D artist, not a coder :D

First make sure you placed the entity, not the actor. Actors are purely visual. Then it should just work (use the normal movement commands) once you start running the game (either by saving the map or using the play button in atlas).

What is the second faction?

Why not obvious rising powers like China?? Who are much stronger than Turkey.

Judging from the Moddb description these are the factions which are related to Europe only :) The second one seems to be stretching from the Baltic to the Black Sea (hence the intermarum in the name), covering like Lithuania, Belarus, half of Poland, Ukraine, Romania, Slovakia, and maybe something more, hard to tell as the bottom of the map is covered :)

Judging from the Moddb description these are the factions which are related to Europe only :) The second one seems to be stretching from the Baltic to the Black Sea (hence the intermarum in the name), covering like Lithuania, Belarus, half of Poland, Ukraine, Romania, Slovakia, and maybe something more, hard to tell as the bottom of the map is covered :)

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I thought it was like a global scenario. :)

Edited by lilstewie

Guys we want eventually to recreate all large armies of the world, so sooner or later those Chinas, Americas and Israels will all be available, but aside from the multiplayer\skirmish we (unlike EA) want to create a storyline-centered campaign and the poser I published deals exactly with the sides in campaign #1 :)