===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Structures

Enrique

So then, would Chanakya have such a hair do? Mostly bald, with trailing ponytail?

Most depictions of Chanakya are like the image you have seen adi posted.

841-02900227w.jpg

But when I see 'priest' like people in the reliefs they look different.

Example.

9.+Stupa+1+Eastern+Toran-Kashyapas+conversion.JPG

Modern depictions Chanakya.

chanakya-on-teacher-day.jpg

chanakya-new.jpg

Edited by lilstewie

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think they are priest, they are what we call 'sadhus' which means 'simple' or something similar. They are called that because, it seems they give up everything in search for 'liberation'.

Could be, can't say for sure. But I think they look little more sophisticated then sadhus.

Sadhu like people definitely existed back then. Greeks called them Gymnosophists.

I believe those people on the reliefs definitely look like they're not ordinary.

Edited by lilstewie

Well, they're not priests, definitely. Maybe they're sages or something?

Yeah, sage might be a better word.

another depiction of them.

4704890037_7915fe30e9_b.jpg

They're like monks. Wears a different attire than the commoners and rich people.

this monks can fight?

I dont know, but from reading the page they supported rebellions against Alexander.

The gymnosophists, the Greeks encountered in 3rd Century B.C. at Taxila, an ancient center of Vedic & Buddhist learning, were probably an old sect of Hindu Naga sadhus. The naked saints, whom Alexander met, have often been mis-taken as Jain Digambara, who preach of non-violence. This is very unlikely, considering the fact that these Indian gymnosophists had supported the violence by encouraging Sabbas to revolt and resist Alexander.[1][2] The Nagas or Naga Sadhus (Naked Saints), are often called Indian gymnosophists.[3][4][5] They are mostly worshippers of Shiva[6] and carry Trishula, swords and even other weapons. They were known for taking arms for defending faith. They have the right to lead the procession atKumbh Melas.[3] They own several akharas and their movements were also of concern to British, who always kept a watchful eyes on them.[7][3]One such gymnosophist was Calanus. He later self-immolated whilst chanting vedic mantras in a Hindu rite.[8][9] Before immolation, he is said to have prophesied death of Alexander at Babylon.[10][11] Another famous gymnosophist was Dandamis, the guru of Calanus. Alexander also later learnt Indian philosophy from him.[12]

Gymnosophists

Edited by lilstewie

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think they are priest, they are what we call 'sadhus' which means 'simple' or something similar. They are called that because, it seems they give up everything in search for 'liberation'.

Sadus are pretty much to modern holy men who give up material things and wander around looking for liberation, or Moksha (Hinduism). So kind of like a sage or monk...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still hoping to finish the Mauryan corral and I've attached a picture the Sketchup model. Suggestions are highly appreciated (the fence is going to be changed).

Hi Josh, nice design ;).

My suggestion is to think a little more on how the roof is placed on that four wood pillars. Now it looks a little fake, like there isn't any kind of reinforcement of the structure and I don't think it would be possible in real life. It also don't need to be refined, it's a place to feed the animals, so "not perfect" structure is more likely to feel more realistic.

Maybe addining vertical or horizontal uneven planks "attached" to the wood pilars like making walls around the arched structure would give it a more realistic look. What do you think?

Hi Josh, nice design ;).

My suggestion is to think a little more on how the roof is placed on that four wood pillars. Now it looks a little fake, like there isn't any kind of reinforcement of the structure and I don't think it would be possible in real life. It also don't need to be refined, it's a place to feed the animals, so "not perfect" structure is more likely to feel more realistic.

Maybe addining vertical or horizontal uneven planks "attached" to the wood pilars like making walls around the arched structure would give it a more realistic look. What do you think?

Sounds good! I've got some time right now so I'm going to see if I can redo the fence to look far less perfect and add some structural reinforcement. I should be back with a new picture shortly.

Well, I've toyed with my model some more and I think I've gotten the structure to look a little more convincing while making the fence look a little more primitive. Pictures are attached.

Again, any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Hi Josh,

Good try ! Here are some ideas I have for you :

-first, to help visualizing your building, you could give it some rough colors inspired by the picture from Enrique (below), even if the model will be texturized differently in the end. Just to help seeing it well.

post-13528-0-69019200-1350155154_thumb.jpg

-Like Enrique, I think the roof setting can be improved. Maybe just adding an horizontal beam (about the size of the pillars) would feel good. Such horizontal piece of timber could serve to hang various tools, ropes, etc, being not only structural but convenient for the use of the corral.

-It could be good to include the fence gate (opened), maybe introduced at its sides by 2 small and simple decorative elements (cube, pyramid, cone ?) on left and right as you pass the gate. Again, the kind of detail where a rope could be tied in the real life ;)

-I'd very well see a big pile of straw in a corner, out of the boxes you already made.

-I think you can save polygons by making the small horizontal parts of the fence simpler (basic triangle or square section). Same remark for the roof cover, that have various useless very thin polygons.

Hi Josh,

Good try ! Here are some ideas I have for you :

-first, to help visualizing your building, you could give it some rough colors inspired by the picture from Enrique (below), even if the model will be texturized differently in the end. Just to help seeing it well.

post-13528-0-69019200-1350155154_thumb.jpg

-Like Enrique, I think the roof setting can be improved. Maybe just adding an horizontal beam (about the size of the pillars) would feel good. Such horizontal piece of timber could serve to hang various tools, ropes, etc, being not only structural but convenient for the use of the corral.

-It could be good to include the fence gate (opened), maybe introduced at its sides by 2 small and simple decorative elements (cube, pyramid, cone ?) on left and right as you pass the gate. Again, the kind of detail where a rope could be tied in the real life ;)

-I'd very well see a big pile of straw in a corner, out of the boxes you already made.

-I think you can save polygons by making the small horizontal parts of the fence simpler (basic triangle or square section). Same remark for the roof cover, that have various useless very thin polygons.

1. About the coloring, I have already textured and mapped a lot of the structure, but 0ad doesn't work on the computer I'm currently using so I can't show you a new picture. Although about half way down this (http://www.wildfireg...ic=16056&st=220) page I have some pictures of the old model.
  2. Horizontal beam? Done.
  3. Gate with decorative elements? Done. (the decorative pyramid looks weird with line smoothing)(I don't quite know what you meant with the rope. Did you mean a rope to tie it closed?)
  4. Do you mean another of my boxes, but full of straw inside the building?
  5. Done.

Again I appreciate suggestions.

post-14700-0-10395000-1351629264_thumb.p

post-14700-0-85720100-1351629444_thumb.p

post-14700-0-92343700-1351629463_thumb.p

About the coloring, I have already textured and mapped a lot of the structure, but 0ad doesn't work on the computer I'm currently using so I can't show you a new picture. Although about half way down this (http://www.wildfireg...ic=16056&st=220) page I have some pictures of the old model.

1. Gate with decorative elements? Done. (the decorative pyramid looks weird with line smoothing)(I don't quite know what you meant with the rope. Did you mean a rope to tie it closed?)
  2. Do you mean another of my boxes, but full of straw inside the building?

-I meant coloring in Sketchup, so, no need to access to 0AD for that.

-I talked about rope but without meaning that it as to be modelized. I was just imagining the use of the building in a real life. That good like that. The pyramid looks good. Just need to check if it works well with the Mauryan style. A cube would save polygons, so maybe that'd be better.

-I imagined a pile of straw roughly layed on the ground, under the shelter maybe (without box).

-I meant coloring in Sketchup, so, no need to access to 0AD for that.

-I talked about rope but without meaning that it as to be modelized. I was just imagining the use of the building in a real life. That good like that. The pyramid looks good. Just need to check if it works well with the Mauryan style. A cube would save polygons, so maybe that'd be better.

-I imagined a pile of straw roughly layed on the ground, under the shelter maybe (without box).

Alright I redid the decorative item to be more Mauryan styled and less polygon heavy. I also added a pile of straw along with some (very) quick texturing.

post-14700-0-88124900-1351632845_thumb.p

Alright I redid the decorative item to be more Mauryan styled and less polygon heavy. I also added a pile of straw along with some (very) quick texturing.

-Can you try it with colors like on the Enrique's picture ? especially : dark brown for the timber.

-Also, what do you think of simplifying the roof top to have lees polygons ?

-Also, I am thinking that the gate takes too much space. Having it cut in two pieces instead of one large would surely work better.

With that fixed, the model starts to be rather good for me. I'm curious to see it textured for the game.

-Can you try it with colors like on the Enrique's picture ? especially : dark brown for the timber.

-Also, what do you think of simplifying the roof top to have lees polygons ?

-Also, I am thinking that the gate takes too much space. Having it cut in two pieces instead of one large would surely work better.

With that fixed, the model starts to be rather good for me. I'm curious to see it textured for the game.

1. Sorry about the quick texturing, as I said it was 'quick' ;)
  2. When I first made the model I thought it was to plain/perfect so I added the inconsistencies in the roof, I would like to keep them if possible.
  3. The polygon cost of having a two piece gate outweighs the benefits in my mind but I do agree it takes up too much space. So I changed it to a outward-opening gate and adjusted the angle. I think it fixes most of the problem.

Again, suggestions,suggestions, suggestions!

post-14700-0-15145600-1351636053_thumb.p

Edited by Josh