===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Structures

Enrique

Hey, I'm sketching some Mauryan structures.

Heavy wips... just for new non-fancy texture testing and building shapes and modules. I sketched them with nothing specific in mind but the middle and right structures turned into fortress and barracks in my mind.

I'm still working on the second set of textures the Mauryans will use for "non-fancy" buildings like houses and such.

Since there's very scarce references, suggestions and feedback are highly appreciated, also for textures and main colors.

post-13528-0-18018300-1348079757_thumb.j

Do you have by any chance a pic of a "tower" structure or something like that? those pics you posted are like the current Civic centre, or richer people houses.

Those are actually gates with the army exiting/entering the city. But the arch designs and stuff could be useful in making the towers.

You can see tower designs in these images.

fpwYp.png

s6RzX.jpg

reliefs

vimanas11_37.jpg

Drawing. Tower on the left.

I dont really see it incorporated into any buildings though like the medieval ones. These towers seems to be like stand alone.

Edited by lilstewie

I dont really see it incorporated into any buildings though like the medieval ones. These towers seems to be like stand alone.

Thanks lilstewie! :)

Why you don't see it incorporated into any building? do you have any suggestions for the fortress layout design?

Also what do you think the predominant colors were? (apart from brown from the wood)

Balconies were used more to look out, shoot, etc.

do you have any suggestions for the fortress layout design?

Not really man. You'll need to use your imagination and use the designs from the reliefs when making it. It looks good now except the medieval looking towers in my opinion.

Also what do you think the predominant colors were?

Do you mean the coloring on the building on the right? If so, I like it. It's similar to the coloration found on buildings on the Chanakya show.

Edited by lilstewie

Thank you guys! :)

Still looking medieval?

post-13528-0-51664200-1348328368_thumb.j

How would they have made that massive, bowing, arched roof? I mean that looks like it would be quite a challenge even today, let alone in the medieval period, much less BCE :unsure: I'm all for buildings looking nice, but it seems there is a lot of exaggeration on the Mauryan architecture so far. Were they renowned for being the greatest architects of the ancient world or something?

Hmm, on the fortress I'd rather not have the roofs over the "towers." I don't think the towers in the reference image have roofs like that. I like the idea of a ring of "balconies" though. And I like the big barrel roof in the middle.

Also, the defense tower I'd like a roof more like the current placeholder tower (more like the gate towers shown in the reference).

How would they have made that massive, bowing, arched roof? I mean that looks like it would be quite a challenge even today, let alone in the medieval period, much less BCE :unsure: I'm all for buildings looking nice, but it seems there is a lot of exaggeration on the Mauryan architecture so far. Were they renowned for being the greatest architects of the ancient world or something?

You're probably right, the huge barrel roof looks unreal. They carved them in the rock and made them really big though... which still quite impressive.

I read somewhere that they constructed similar counterparts of the caves in wood, that's why I tried this.

I guess it's harder to maintain the arch over a "built from the ground" structure and should have extra parts to hold it or something.

Which are the other structures you think are exaggerated?

I think the four-cornered roofs on the four corners and on the defense tower look the least realistic. A big barrel roof is not that difficult to build. Maybe that part can be scaled down a little bit.

Yeah, maybe if it was scaled down a bit. Now that I look at the reference images I do see a barrel roof like that, but different scale. I also agree on the roofs, as awesome as they look, it doesn't seem to match the ref images above. They seem to show un-roofed towers instead, with some distinctive stone arches around the edges (I guess for protecting the body of soldiers standing behind them, while allowing them to see over and possibly fire in between the arches?) Sorry I'm not good on all this terminology :) I'm referring to these pointy things on top of walls:

post-10080-0-32681200-1348337435_thumb.j

I understand why he put that there. Because of rock cut art like this.

entrycatenacci.jpg

empirev3amax.jpg

photochrome1896.jpg

When they were cutting through the rock, they designed it like they would've done with wood, or other materiels. So it gives clues into how a palace or whatever could have looked it. <--- But would they put a grand arch in a fort?? That's up to the artist's interpretation.

I believe these are done by the Maurya's successors Sunga, Satavahana both of which carry on the Mauryan style.

Edited by lilstewie

For example here's the wooden design below.

temple5.jpg

When they were cutting through the rock they kept the design. Even though adding those 'spine' looking things are probably useless for support.

entryway.jpg

Cave2.preview.jpg

If these reliefs and rock cut arts didn't exist. We would be clueless about how things would've looked back then. They give you a good idea..

Edited by lilstewie

When they cut through the rock, they designed it like they would've done with wood, or other materiels. So it gives clues into how a palace or whatever could have looked it.

I believe you posted a video showing a building with those arches in wood in the other Mauryan thread?

Edited by zoot

Yeah, maybe if it was scaled down a bit. Now that I look at the reference images I do see a barrel roof like that, but different scale. I also agree on the roofs, as awesome as they look, it doesn't seem to match the ref images above. They seem to show un-roofed towers instead, with some distinctive stone arches around the edges (I guess for protecting the body of soldiers standing behind them, while allowing them to see over and possibly fire in between the arches?) Sorry I'm not good on all this terminology :) I'm referring to these pointy things on top of walls:

post-10080-0-32681200-1348337435_thumb.j

That's actually what they are for. It allows the archer to reload, peek, and fire at the target. Protecting the body.

fpwYp.png

Edited by lilstewie