Alpha XII Name Suggestions

Even though it is a bit early, I thought that someone might as well open a thread like this. For the twelfth alpha of 0 A.D., we will see the name starting with the letter 'L'.

Here is some of my own input:

Lakedaemon (or Lacedaemon), a native or inhabitant of Sparta, the surrounding area.

Laconia, southeastern Greece

Lycurgus, the legendary lawgiver of Sparta

Lysander, a Spartan admiral who fought during the Peloponnesian War.

What about something related to the Mauryans? Next alpha they will probably be fully playable so...

I'll make some suggestions.

Dharma(Law). Spreading law or Dhrama was important to Ashoka.

Magadha. From Nanda empire to the Pala empire it has been the base to rule from. Same for the Mauryans. Magadha is similar to the Fars province for the Persians.

250px-Magadha.GIF

Patali-putra, Pataliputra. The capital of most Magadha based empires like the Mauryans.

Edited by lilstewie

I'll make some suggestions.

Dharma(Law). Spreading law or Dhrama was important to Ashoka.

Magadha. From Nanda empire to the Pala empire it has been the base to rule from. Same for the Mauryans. Magadha is similar to the Fars province for the Persians.

Patali-putra, Pataliputra. The capital of most Magadha based empires like the Mauryans.

Nice suggestions, but they don't begin with the letter 'L'. And that is a requirement as we name the Alphas alphabetically :)

How about Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of wealth and prosperity in honor of the upcoming Mauryan faction?

I was thinking the same, but I don't think it was popular in the Mauryan times.

I was thinking the Indus mother goddess, Mauryan mother goddess, etc were some sort of Proto-Lakshmi, but there isn't enough data.

MauryanRingstone.JPG

h2_2000.284.10.jpg

Four Mauryan goddess.

But still, Lakshmi is the best I can think of.

Edited by lilstewie

These mother women figures could have became Lakshmi.

http://www.shivlee.com/images/719_screencap_1574A.jpg

http://www.shivlee.com/images/719_Samudragupta_Battle_Axe_type_Class_I_Var_B.jpg

http://www.shivlee.com/images/700_samudragupta_battle_axe_class_II_.jpg

http://www.shivlee.com/images/600_screencap_1302.jpg

Gupta coins, another Magadha empire. The reverse always depicted Lakshmi.

Indus, Mauryan, etc goddess would've been an early Lakshmi.

I just find this in wikipédia : "Lumbinī (Sanskrit: लुम्बिनी, "the lovely") is a Buddhist pilgrimage site in the Rupandehi district of Nepal.[1] It is the place where QueenMayadevi gave birth to Siddhartha Gautama, who as the Buddha Gautama founded the Buddhist tradition. The Buddha lived between roughly 563 and 483 BCE. Lumbini is one of four magnets for pilgrimage that sprang up in places pivotal to the life of the Buddha, the others being at Kushinagar, Bodh Gaya and Sarnath.

Lumbini was where the Buddha lived until the age of 29. Lumbini has a number of temples, including the Mayadevi temple, and others under construction. Also located here is the Puskarini or Holy Pond where the Buddha's mother took the ritual dip prior to his birth and where he, too, had his first bath, as well as the remains of Kapilvastu palace. At other sites near Lumbini, earlier Buddhas were, according to tradition, born, achieved ultimate awakening and finally relinquished earthly form."

So it's an historic and religious location with the legendary born of Bouddha and a pillar of Ashoka

• 1 month later...

I think we had enough latin and greek names, let's embrace another culture. And i don't know if the Mauryans will be playable the next alpha version, but i liked much more the suggestion about Lutetia. People will wonder how would Lutetia become Paris, and that's a great attractive for a history lesson, imo.

Edited by Pedro Falcão