Campaigns?

Asterixfan

hi, I've only started playing 0 AD very recently and have been enjoying it, but I was wondering when you are planning on introducing campaigns to 0 AD (since there is a button for it but nothing else). I was also was wondering if they going to be historical campaigns (first Punic War as Romans, Alexander the great's conquest of Persia) or more like you are a leader of a group of Iberians, defend against celts, carthage, and romans who want to take your land. I've looked around the forum for this, but couldn't find much except how you were putting off trigger campaigns for part 2.

they need to finish the darn game first ;) but i've had some thoughts myself, namely that there should be one official campaign for every civilization, sometimes based (at least in part) on campaigns from other games; in the vein of Age of Kings, these campaigns could be named after the main figure of each one, such as:

1. Carthaginian campaign: Hannibal
  2. Gaulish campaign: Vercingetorix (?)
  3. Macedonian campaign: Alexander
  4. Persian campaign: Cyrus
  5. Roman campaign: Caesar

there could also be a "Battle of the Conquerors"-like campaign. for those who don't know or don't remember, "Battle of the Conquerors" was a "campaign" from Age of Kings that could be played out of order and focused on singular battles or events from a civilizations' history, such as the Battle of Hastings for the Franks (representing the Normans), the settlement of Vinland for the Vikings, and the Battle of Agincourt for the Britons (representing the English). one of these could be the Battle of Thermopylae and the Battle of Salamis: you play as the Athenians but have control of a bunch of Spartan units (including Leonidas) who must hold their position at the Hot Gates while your workers in towns south of there collect resources to build ships during and after Thermopylae; after a set amount of time, a cinematic shows the classical death of the Spartans (though this counts as victory for this part of it) and then you have to win the Battle of Salamis against the Persian navy.

they need to finish the darn game first ;) but i've had some thoughts myself, namely that there should be one official campaign for every civilization, Carthaginian campaign: Hannibal

1. Gaulish campaign: Vercingetorix (?)
  2. Macedonian campaign: Alexander
  3. Persian campaign: Cyrus
  4. Roman campaign: Caesar

there could also be a "Battle of the Conquerors"-like campaign. for those who don't know or don't remember, "Battle of the Conquerors" was a "campaign" from Age of Kings that could be played out of order and focused on singular battles or events from a civilizations' history, such as the Battle of Hastings for the Franks (representing the Normans), the settlement of Vinland for the Vikings, and the Battle of Agincourt for the Britons (representing the English). one of these could be the Battle of Thermopylae and the Battle of Salamis: you play as the Athenians but have control of a bunch of Spartan units (including Leonidas) who must hold their position at the Hot Gates while your workers in towns south of there collect resources to build ships during and after Thermopylae; after a set amount of time, a cinematic shows the classical death of the Spartans (though this counts as victory for this part of it) and then you have to win the Battle of Salamis against the Persian navy.

I know they haven't finished the game. I was wondering at what stage would they make campaigns. I was also thinking that it would be nice to have a historical campaign for every civ.

0AD will have a Campaing based in turns like Rome Total War.

Turn based campaigns? My vision of the campaigns was a series of scenarios with a picture and text or a map showing the progress of the campaign (I guess that's mainly because I've been playing a lot of Wesnoth though) in between scenarios

Edited by Asterixfan

@Lion.Kanzen:This image looks so incredibly amazing, just tell me how you did it, please!?

He borrowed it ;) Michael (Mythos_Ruler on the forums) who created it used part in-game images and part other images to create that image in Photoshop. As was mentioned before there is an in-game mockup you can try which has the barebones of it though. And just to be clear, as with everything else it's important to remember that the game is a work in progress and that no current images/information is guaranteed to be relevant when it comes to the final game. That said, we do hope to include some kind of single player campaign, and something along these lines is currently the best option we can see to get something done within reasonable time. There is no guarantee that 0 A.D. will come with a single-player campaign though, so the best way to make sure it happens is to either have/get the skills yourself and help out, or try and get someone else to join to help out :)

He borrowed it ;) Michael (Mythos_Ruler on the forums) who created it used part in-game images and part other images to create that image in Photoshop. As was mentioned before there is an in-game mockup you can try which has the barebones of it though. And just to be clear, as with everything else it's important to remember that the game is a work in progress and that no current images/information is guaranteed to be relevant when it comes to the final game. That said, we do hope to include some kind of single player campaign, and something along these lines is currently the best option we can see to get something done within reasonable time. There is no guarantee that 0 A.D. will come with a single-player campaign though, so the best way to make sure it happens is to either have/get the skills yourself and help out, or try and get someone else to join to help out :)

i love this pic, too. always thought on this campaign-mode. hopefully it will be built in sometime. concerning that - i am optimistic!

but...i thought 0 A.D. was gonna be real-time strategy, not real-time tactics

The game is not going to change just because the campaign is done in one way or another ;) I mean you wouldn't call Age of Kings a role-playing/adventure/action game just because it had some storytelling/parts where you mostly control one unit in it ;)

but...i thought 0 A.D. was gonna be real-time strategy, not real-time tactics

The high-level would be more strategic (like RTW--move armies around, attack different territories, etc.), while the low-level would be RTS (gather, build, train). We had pages and pages of discussion about it in the staff forums earlier this year.

I like very much the TBS Total War style campaign. But I wouldn't put provinces. Instead, the map could have some sort of layer of this type: look at the second image: http://www.tycoon-games-review.com/Railroad-tycoon-3.html

This is from Railroad Tycoon 3

Well, this type of layer could show the level of population, agriculture and richness in certain zones. You would want then to shape your borders (not structured provinces please) thinking on the terrain (tried to be as realistic as Google earth) and these type of graphical statistics.

well good to hear that it will still be an RTS ;) personally, though, i like the "progression" method of the AOE games and Empire Earth

however, i must ask: would it be possible to have fanmade "progression" campaigns as well?

Most things will be possible, just not necessarily easy =) That said, we most definitely want to do more story-based campaigns eventually, it's just that they take a lot of time (my own very guesstimating estimate is that having them in part one would add at least two-three years to the development time) so it's better to wait until after part one has been released before adding that :) (Especially since a full release will get more attention, and hopefully more developers, which would mean that new features could be added more quickly later. But even in general it has got its benefits to actually prove - to yourself not the least - that you can create a full game, and that boost in confidence alone might help. Plus it's good to have a point where you can put everything "on the drawing board" again and evaluate both existing and postponed features and see how they would work together and what would be the best way forward :) Especially since there are a lot of features that would go well with story-based campaigns, like morale, and logistics, and maybe even things like weather/seasons. I've personally never been a fan of the latter, but that might just have been the way it was implemented in EE =) In either case, I think it's a good thing for many reasons to postpone story-based campaigns, as it means we can do them as good as we possibly can without feeling they're something we have to cram in just to get a complete feature set :) )

• 5 months later...

I like the single player part of the game and I think there should be a campaign. Though, if there should be major campaigns for the civs, couldn't there be sub-campaigns that include less important figures in history as well as time periods? A lot of people know who Caesar is, but there should be campaigns about the various time periods. Civs like Rome was, at first, a despotism (monarchy or whatever, there was a king). Then came the Republic, after which the empire.

Important things happened in those periods:

Despotism-

King Pyhrrus fought Rome in Southern Italy.

Republic-

Punic Wars

Civil Wars (twice)

Empire(before split)-

War with Dacia

Conquering of Brittania (Britain)

Conquering of Germania for a brief time (Germany)

At least thats what I think should be part of the game.

• 6 months later...