Some suggestions about graphics

azayrahmad

So I've downloaded this game a couple of days ago, and after playing it for a while I think this game looks promising. The main appeal of this game is the graphic, which I dare say one of the best RTS graphic I've seen since AoE3, although most of the animations are still poor (but I'm sure you guys are working on it). However I want to give some suggestions to the game.

1. Camera

In this game zooming in/out camera is similar to zooming a telescope. You get far and near and that's it. The purpose is to get the closer look at your units. However I found zooming system in other RTS games like Empire Earth and Warcraft III. It is still bird-eye view (about 45 degree), but the more zooming in the camera angle shifts until you get the human eye view (horizontal view). This offers cinematic view, which is cool, but rather annoying because the more you zoomed in the less area you can view. I suggest the camera system that is zooming normally straight until you get close, then if you zoom again it shifts to horizontal view. It'll be both cool and functional

2. UI design

I think this is rather confusing, especially for newcomers. I suggest to categorize it, for example the first row is civilian buildings, the 2nd row is military buildings. Also I miss the move/attack/stop button, and I think the formation toggle button is given too much estate than it needed. Also I think maps should be enlarged. I will give my suggestion image later

3. Unit details

The variations of units of the same type are too much, I often have to select them to make sure that they are the same type. Soldiers of one type using shield with various different pictures. One units using a leather cap, one unit using a helmet, they are both have different costume and color, and turns out they are also the same type. On the other hand, there are a bunch of caped soldiers of the same type, and they all have beards.

I think variation is cool, adding realism into game. But the variation should be of small things, like beard/mustache, skin color (human/ horse), anything that couldn't be noticed unless we look closer. But uniform, they should look the same, so we could know if he's ranged cavalry or heavy cavalry, because in the long shot they all look the same and we need something to distinguish it.

That's it for now, I'll play some more to give more suggestions :)

Regarding your first comment, do you know you can adjust the angle of the camera by pressing Ctrl+S or Ctrl+W? This way you have full control without automatic adjustments.

As for the unit variety, I haven't had trouble with that (but I may be a clueless 'all the units!' attacker). Some of the variety is due to the units' class I think. When they start they are basic fighters, after some experience they become advanced, and finally elite. The little chevrons in the unit picture show this. Higher ranking units have better (different) armour and outfits, get helmets instead of caps, and other small changes. At the least by double clicking on a unit you can select all similar units on screen, that is what I normally use.

I think the units of the same kind look unique enough not to mistake them for others. I.e. they all have the same 'silhouette' :)

Ye it mite be confusing at first but once you have played for a few weeks/months you won't mistake what unit your looking at with another.

Regarding your first comment, do you know you can adjust the angle of the camera by pressing Ctrl+S or Ctrl+W? This way you have full control without automatic adjustments. As for the unit variety, I haven't had trouble with that (but I may be a clueless 'all the units!' attacker). Some of the variety is due to the units' class I think. When they start they are basic fighters, after some experience they become advanced, and finally elite. The little chevrons in the unit picture show this. Higher ranking units have better (different) armour and outfits, get helmets instead of caps, and other small changes. At the least by double clicking on a unit you can select all similar units on screen, that is what I normally use.

Wow, I don't know that hotkey before. Thanks! And yes, they have different rank. I just notice that. Sometimes I made a mistake by grouping those with metal helmet only to realize not all of them is pikemen. I guess I have to make double clicking my habit.

Oh and just like you, sometimes when the enemy come without preparation I just zoomed out, drag all people everywhere to attack them, only to find that my female citizens also dragged and slain. Now only if there is 'drag military units only' options...

Ye it mite be confusing at first but once you have played for a few weeks/months you won't mistake what unit your looking at with another.

Yes it is. Now I've played long enough to distinguish them. Infantry could be distinguished more easily due to their different shield (square, round, no shield) but for some cavalry I had to look at their weapons first to know whether the unit is ranged or heavy cavalry. A little hard for micro-manager, I think.

Oh and I just think about this. The shield could have different picture painted on it right? Could we change it in-game? For example, by default all the shields are blank, but once we assign a group to the units (ctrl + 1), their shield change into a picture, for example a snake. For a second group, different picture, probably an eagle. And, if possible, instead of only a small icon with the number indicating group number, why don't we have the icon of that picture, a snake picture with number 1 on it. And then when we hover over it, there will be tooltip saying Legion I Snake, for second group Legion II Eagle, etc... Well, we can dream, right?

Edited by azayrahmad

2. UI design

I think this is rather confusing, especially for newcomers. I suggest to categorize it, for example the first row is civilian buildings, the 2nd row is military buildings.

I was going to say that's how it is, but when I tested, I noticed the order of icons changes when selecting a female citizen or a citizen soldier - even though they can construct most of the same buildings. That doesn't seem right, we should at least have a consistent order (preferably civilian/economic buildings on top, followed by military, then special buildings).

I mentioned something similar in the Celtic Buildings thread in regards to the alternate version of the Caer and the order of the citizen-soldier production icons in the production menu.

Speaking of the Celtic Civ Centre, the Caer. Why are the citizen-soldiers in an inverted order in the build menu of the alternate version of the Caer seen in the Belgian Bog scenario? Normally the units at a Civ Centre are organized female citizen, melee citizen-soldier, ranged citizen-solider, and cavalry citizen-soldier, but with the alternate version of the Caer, they are organized female citizen, cavalry citizen-soldier, ranged citizen-soldier, and melee citizen-soldier.