Multiplayer lobby

Mostly taken from Erik's wish list :

• user profiles
  • friend list
  • private messages
  • user management (currently doable via the ejabberd admin page only)
  • displaying in-progress games for rejoigning purpose
  • displaying more infos about games (players, map preview..)
  • auto-downloading of a map if a player does not have it
  • NAT traversal

• 9 months later...

Localhost.. need to be sorted out.

It's now online. You can check out the everything here : https://github.com/badmadblacksad/0ad.

On linux (debian) you just have to apt-get install libgloox-dev, on windows the binaries/header are included. Then you just have to compile as you would normally do, and see a 'Lobby' button in the 'Multiplayer' menu.

Please report back any bugs you see.

• Like 2

I just tried this out. It looks nice so far. I registered a quantumstate account which worked and I was able to connect. After this I tried registering bob which failed with "Registration unknown error", I tried restarting the game, using a longer username, choosing a different password and changing the log in details before clicking register. This had no effect on the error message, I am still able to log in with quantumstate.

Edit: just tried again and it registered correctly (maybe about the 12th try).

Been playing with this a bit more, here is a list of some issues.

It fails to handle maps without a preview image.

Connecting to a computer on the same LAN doesn't seem to work, I'm guessing this is because it tells it to connect via external ip, perhaps it could try local ip's afterwards.

In the welcome message polishes should be polish.

At the 800x600 resolution the number of players column is hidden in the list of games.

My username isn't shown anywhere (except the welcome message), maybe it could be a different colour in the user list.

Two things:

1) Would it be possible to also note the mods people are running so that you can play china/egypt with other players who have that mod installed/running. I would suggest adding a little icon (gears or something) after the username and when you hover over that icon it says "Mods: Bronze" for example.

2) When are we gonna see this in the actual game? This will boost multiplayer activity a ton!

1) Would it be possible to also note the mods people are running so that you can play china/egypt with other players who have that mod installed/running.

That would probably depend on me finishing my mod support work at some point in the (hopefully not too distant) future.

2) When are we gonna see this in the actual game? This will boost multiplayer activity a ton!

Alpha 14 would be a possibility IMO.

I still haven't managed to register an account, or log in with one quantumstate created. (Just getting "disconnected" messages (added some code to prelobby.js))

It would probably imply changing the rest of the game's look too, though, so it fits. Aiming for an off-white/cream color could work.

Eh, not really. Not every single screen in the game has to have the exact same color scheme, as long as there is a unified look to things. We desperately need a graphic designer to go through and redesign the way our menus and screens look. Just leaving it up to programmers to make things look pretty without guidance from the art dept is leading to some very ugly stuff. That's one of the major problems we have: not much thought is going into aesthetics and there's no guiding force on the graphic design side of things. Now that things are starting to be functional, it's time we start making function meet form. :)

Still, I'm not too sure about completely inverting the color scheme. But if everything gets reworked.

Yeah, I was just spit balling. I think the overall screen and menu UI needs a complete rework for aesthetics. Font rendering. Font colors. Font sizes. Button styles. Scroll bar styles. Layout. Colors. Etc.

But back to the topic. ;) I'd love to try out the lobby. Is it functioning correctly yet?

Also, what is the possibility of going the server route, where folks can host different 0 A.D. servers and we just host a master server that provides a list? Kind of like old-school Call of Duty. Maybe this patch is essentially what that is, except the "server" is the host's computer, which is not ideal in my mind since if the host leaves the game the game crashes.