Hello and a request!

• 2 weeks later...

My fingers ache a little from all the typing, but Chapter 8 is all done! The link should be updated for those that have it!

At just under 150 pages (A5) I reckon I'm around half way through the book, though I don't know how many chapters I'll end up writing!

• 4 weeks later...

Not far away from finishing this next chapter, so keep your eyes open!

I have also read through the previous chapters and have made a couple of very minor changes to make sure a major plot line links in properly. It made me realise I'm actually looking forward to finishing the story so I can go back through it all!

I might be done after another eight chapters or so I think, but I might stretch it out a little more, not sure yet...

The next chapter has been uploaded, so you should be able to read it now!

Progress may slow a little from here as there are more characters and plot lines to keep track of! I'm getting quite excited about bringing it to some sort of ending/conclusion and the ideas are buzzing round my head! My notes have got a little bit disorganised though so I'm going to have to put a lot of effort into sorting them all out. Feel free to keep your comments coming! Its great to get feedback :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had to make a new account. Couldn't get the old one working after the hacking issue!

Since last appearing on here my life has once again been turned upside down! I have found myself being a single parent to three young children, so my spare time has taken something of a hit! However, I did indeed finish the notes for the last chapter, and have managed to start editing some of my notes now. Fairly soon I hope to finish the chapter I'm working on and make it available for those interested! I may not let you read the last few chapters however, but leave you in suspense until its all finished! I haven't decided yet!

• 4 weeks later...

Well FINALLY I have found time to type up the next chapter! It isn't a particularly long or exciting one, but it sets the direction of the remaining chapters. Life has been tough recently, otherwise I would have managed this a long time ago, but hopefully I will get to type the next few up a bit quicker! The link should be updated (message my new account if it doesn't work!) so hopefully you will enjoy it and I look forward to writing the rest pretty soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I've been following 0ad for a while now and love where it's going!

I am also a fan of the community - it's great to see people so enthusiastic!

I was wondering if there is anyone on here that likes fantasy novels (think Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones). I have been creating my own fantasy novel for a while and was hoping someone might like to read a bit of it to give me some feedback? Its very unedited currently, but I'd love to know what other people thought of it! Anyone interested at all?

Thanks

Joel

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4696046/Chapter%20One.pdf

This is Chapter One. The rest that I have written is available only by request. :)

Hi and welcome to the community.

I'll read the first chapter when I have a little time.

As a matter of interest, what copyrights and protection have you put on your work?

Anyone can just build on a single chapter published before completion and there's your book compromised.

Hi and welcome to the community.

I'll read the first chapter when I have a little time.

As a matter of interest, what copyrights and protection have you put on your work?

Anyone can just build on a single chapter published before completion and there's your book compromised.

There is a disclaimer/statement at the beginning and a footer to every page with copyright on it. Once i've edited it as a whole I will publish it online. As the author I automatically have full copyright and copying, distributing, changing or pretty much anything along those lines is prohibited without my consent.

But hopefully, considering the nature of 0ad and this community, nobody here would ever dream of attempting those things!

• Like 1

There is a disclaimer/statement at the beginning and a footer to every page with copyright on it. Once i've edited it as a whole I will publish it online. As the author I automatically have full copyright and copying, distributing, changing or pretty much anything along those lines is prohibited without my consent.

But hopefully, considering the nature of 0ad and this community, nobody here would ever dream of attempting those things!

Do not be so sure. The community is decent, but we have no idea who the "guest" flow are.

I don't know the laws of your country, but generally you'll have to copyright and register it with a lawyer.

And you should never rush writing anything. It takes time. The more and effort into a story the more interesting it is.

But anyway, I look forward to reading it :)

Do not be so sure. The community is decent, but we have no idea who the "guest" flow are.

I don't know the laws of your country, but generally you'll have to copyright and register it with a lawyer.

And you should never rush writing anything. It takes time. The more and effort into a story the more interesting it is.

But anyway, I look forward to reading it :)

When I looked into it before the author automatically has copyright without registering, and I think that was internationally.

As for rushing it, I've been working on it for 4 years now :)

• Like 2

When I looked into it before the author automatically has copyright without registering, and I think that was internationally.

Indeed, though it's usually recommended for people to register copyright if they live in a country where it's possible to do so as it can be a pain to defend yourself if anyone steals your content and you have to take it to court. I'm not sure how common it is with books for anyone to steal though (apart from possible pirated copies in e.g. China etc for more famous books perhaps, but it's not like anyone doing that will care about copyright laws regardless of whether it's registered or not), but it's certainly another issue for e.g. photos where someone might take it and reuse it somewhere else etc.

Those companies that claim to look after copyright holders often cause more trouble than help. Like we have SABAM, as copyright holder of some original work, you can register it with SABAM, and SABAM will take care of all legal and illegal activities done with your work, and pay you (at least in theory).

But SABAM is known to be a bad payer. It has kept lot money meant for the artists in their own pockets. The distribution of the money didn't follow the actual usage, but rather the cultural direction of the leaders of the organisation (schlager-like songs). SABAM also visits about every party, and asks the playlist and the number of people there to demand an amount of money, but it failed to check the playlist with the actual list of artists it had to protect. There are verified stories of artists bringing their own work (own lyrics, own composition, ...), and still having to pay to SABAM. The only way to get a part of their money back was registering their work with SABAM, or starting a trial.

But yes, your work is completely protected by law without registering it, though you'll have to do your own protection. When you register your work somewhere, they're responsible to protect your work. Whether they always do that is a different question.

• 1 year later...