Turning radii?

tribalbeat

Is it possible at all to implement a way for units to turn in a circle? For example, I don't care too much for large ships which are able to turn on a dime. I feel that it would be more realistic and present some tactical opportunities for ships and units to have a minimum radius that they must adhere to when turning. Naturally, smaller ships and units on foot would have a tighter turning radius while the larger warships and horses may have larger.

Agreed. I think the land units that need it most are Rams and Chariots, and then other cavalry secondarily.

I'm not sure about rams. They tend to be navigating crowded spaces and currently they have some trouble pathfinding. I don't think it is unrealistic to have people drag a ram around on the spot.

Agreed. I think the land units that need it most are Rams and Chariots, and then other cavalry secondarily.

I'm pretty sure disabling units to turn on a point will lead to further problems with army movement/attack behavior (especially but not exclusively in formations). I really think 0AD has enough problems with that. I would strongly advise not to enforce further complications...

I'm pretty sure disabling units to turn on a point will lead to further problems with army movement/attack behavior (especially but not exclusively in formations). I really think 0AD has enough problems with that. I would strongly advise not to enforce further complications...

Well, since the turning radius should only be relevant for siege/cavalry (and naval units, but they're a different issue altogether) I don't think it's that much of a problem. They really shouldn't move very well in tight spaces in any case, so if they end up moving less than perfectly in those situations that is almost a feature ;) It's only realistic for cavalry to be truly useful in plain open spaces, and I doubt siege engines fared all that well in forests either =) (Iirc most siege engines, at least the bigger ones, were built on the spot rather than moved with the army.) And that actually is a good thing, because that means that siege engines can be made more powerful. If they're hard to move and easy to destroy it's easier to justify that they can deal a lot of damage.