New GUI: Design & Features Discussion

Judging from the stillshot for the video, that's kind of what I'm thinking about too. Reminds me more of RTW than AoM (I think I very rarely opened that screen in AoM). If we implement that, it should be "semi-obvious" that you can do it or appear on a tooltip or something, otherwise some players may miss it.

Judging from the stillshot for the video, that's kind of what I'm thinking about too. Reminds me more of RTW than AoM (I think I very rarely opened that screen in AoM). If we implement that, it should be "semi-obvious" that you can do it or appear on a tooltip or something, otherwise some players may miss it.

Maybe have the portrait work as a button in the sense that when you hover over it it is "raised" a bit so it's more obvious it is clickable?

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys. I have been playing 0ad for the last few weeks and I love it and I appreciate all of the work that you guys put in. I do not really like the ui though and when i saw this thread I thought.. why not help out.. I also do 3d modeling you can see my work here.

Here is the design that I came up with today. Please let me know what you think and dont be scared to tell me i have no idea what im doing "i have never worked on a game before" I do know how to build ui though as I do web design :)

ui.jpg

click for high res

Again thanks and I hope i can be of help in the future.

One more reason to switch to a HTML/CSS based GUI. Nathan, I like your work, but I fundamentally HATE border radius. (Nice and sharp does the trick but thats just my taste.) Personally if I was overlord of the GUI I'd go with a nice lean look with muted tones and no fancy or overly ornate textures. Maybe add a few earthly skeuomorphic textures to give it a personal feeling. Simplicity is key. But as Rob mentioned, all the work that went in the current GUI :P

How is the current GUI done? GAE uses wxwidgets I think and it is pretty customizable. You can move any part of the GUI anywhere on the screen and even save it there for next time. The elements can all be resized to 3 different sizes individually. It also takes very little work to add new panels or whole new elements.

The UI config panel is sort of annoying, especially when it saves with no spaces though.

Lol ye from what ive read you guys are going to be redoing the coding though right? in html and css? Thats the reason I started thinking of a different design. I quite like border radius :)

So if i get some free time over lunch i will come up with a much more modern gui.. (hard edges and simple colours) If I just do a few of these and then you guys can choose what to do with them.. btw all the gui work that I have put up here can be used by whoever for whatever.. including this project.

One also must keep in mind that the UI has to work on a minimum resolution of 1024x768. :( I hate this. I wish we could design a UI for 1920x1080, but I think having two UIs would handicap players who use lower resolution.

EDIT: But Kimball's point is also valid. It's possible to have "fan-made" UIs. The problem here would be to make sure the UI doesn't allow the player to cheat? Not sure what difficulties this would have.

The problem here would be to make sure the UI doesn't allow the player to cheat? Not sure what difficulties this would have.

That shouldn't be a major concern. I mean cheating is always somewhat of a concern but nothing that can't be done already by modding the UI and engine (specifically the non-synced parts to view LOS, etc.) In fact it would be better if people did make cheating UIs, it would bring those cheats to our attention so we could fix them, if serious enough :)

• Like 1

Ok cool.. ye i understand that you have more important things to work on.. and personally i would rather see a load of features and fixes than a new gui :P but i am just trying to help in the way that i can.. even if its just to give ideas.. If there is anything else that i could help with i would be more than happy to help.. (im not sure if i should apply though because even though i have 4 years of experience in 3D i have never worked on a game before)

I am really loving this game. I played my first multiplayer match today with a friend and it honestly was the most fun ive had while gaming in a long time. I am so looking forward to the day when i can have a 4 player multiplayer lan game with 4 ai and no lag :D (without borrowing a super computer)

what about this one?

ui2.jpg

click image for high res

Much better :) Curvy borders give it a web 2.0 look, which I hate :P

One also must keep in mind that the UI has to work on a minimum resolution of 1024x768. :( I hate this. I wish we could design a UI for 1920x1080, but I think having two UIs would handicap players who use lower resolution.

EDIT: But Kimball's point is also valid. It's possible to have "fan-made" UIs. The problem here would be to make sure the UI doesn't allow the player to cheat? Not sure what difficulties this would have.

More the reason to switch to a Webkit GUI. CSS media queries can help create responsive GUIs that change/adapt to different screen sizes. So no need to limit the big screen for the sake of the small screen.

The beauty of the game being open source is that you could release 50 new GUIs and users can pick out their favorite. I encourage you to keep working at it but I think, for now at least, we'll stick with the interface we have for the "official" design.

Webkit enables people to create GUIs based on HTML and styled with CSS. Rival that with XML and a bunch of textures :(

• 3 weeks later...

Comments about the new UI in A11:

• If I have a unit selected, I can't tell what type of attack it has (ranged, melee, charge). Sometimes the tooltip description gives a hint, often it doesn't. The attack/armor stats tooltip should mention at least the primary attack type of the unit.
  • The unit rank tooltip is not clear, it currently says e.g. "Basic Rank" which is not clear if the rank is "Basic" or if it's showing the basic rank, whatever that might be. This would be more consistent and clear: "Rank: Basic"
  • Would be nice to see the AI name in-game. "Player 2" doesn't tell me anything about which AI I'm playing :) There may be value to seeing both username/AI name and the player name which are subtly different concepts.

Comments about the new UI in A11:

• If I have a unit selected, I can't tell what type of attack it has (ranged, melee, charge). Sometimes the tooltip description gives a hint, often it doesn't. The attack/armor stats tooltip should mention at least the primary attack type of the unit.
  • The unit rank tooltip is not clear, it currently says e.g. "Basic Rank" which is not clear if the rank is "Basic" or if it's showing the basic rank, whatever that might be. This would be more consistent and clear: "Rank: Basic"
  • Would be nice to see the AI name in-game. "Player 2" doesn't tell me anything about which AI I'm playing :) There may be value to seeing both username/AI name and the player name which are subtly different concepts.

I think Rank names could be better. e.g. Rank 1: Peasant, Rank 2: Soldier, Rank 3: Veteran. What say?