Gamer Profiles idea

daudbinbutrus

Some gamers prefer campaigns, some scenarios, some co-op, and some pvp. Some prefer certain factions, certain styles of play, etc. Some are okay with cheats, and some not. You get the idea (quitting before you feel like this--> :fish:).

I think it would be awesome if this game had profiles (on this site and linked in-game, or in-game profile options). The profiles could have details like this so people could find people they'd like to play with or just learn about the people they play with. It would also give the game more of a community, which is a big deal both with RTS games and with open source.

• Like 1

Yeah, some kind of player profiles is definitely a good idea. If nothing else for the community aspect, getting some kind of identity on the player you've beaten/been beaten by should add some interest to the multiplayer gameplay. I'm a bit wary about including i.e. games won/games lost as that can lead to some people playing just to get a high ratio of won games versus lost games (and thus might play mostly against enemies they are sure to defeat like new players, or quit games they are about to lose etc).

Yeah, some kind of player profiles is definitely a good idea. If nothing else for the community aspect, getting some kind of identity on the player you've beaten/been beaten by should add some interest to the multiplayer gameplay. I'm a bit wary about including i.e. games won/games lost as that can lead to some people playing just to get a high ratio of won games versus lost games (and thus might play mostly against enemies they are sure to defeat like new players, or quit games they are about to lose etc).

Instead of win/loss it is better to use something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_rating_system . The Voobly AoE 2 system successfully uses this. The only problem I encountered was some players would use player kicking hacks to win a game (if you quit for any reason it counted as a loss). A convenient reporting system can help filter out these players before they get a high ranking (especially with game recordings).

• Like 1

i really liked multiplayer taunts when i played age of empires 2 do you think they would add them slightly off topic but when playing with the AI allies in campaigns you should be able to give them orders like attack now, wait to attack, build more workers, build more elite soldiers, create more defenses and give me your spare resources etc.

Yeah, games won/lost can work in certain setups (like if there are ranked and unranked games), but where this is not a competitive online game, I agree that profiles are not the place for it.

i really liked multiplayer taunts when i played age of empires 2 do you think they would add them slightly off topic but when playing with the AI allies in campaigns you should be able to give them orders like attack now, wait to attack, build more workers, build more elite soldiers, create more defenses and give me your spare resources etc.

I would also like to have this feature for the AI at some point.