Crowd-sourced Civ: Mauryan Indians

Mythos_Ruler

I think there is no real photo given of Maurya time Architect. There is pix's of temple made by ashoka. but that resembles more budhisum.

Not so much, but you do have reliefs and rock cut works of Mauryan's successors like the Sungas, Satavahana, etc empires. Their culture, architecture, clothing, etc are all very similar to each other even though they're far apart. Leading one to believe it was Mauryan or earlier influence.

@OM_Rahul

The Chandragupta Mauryan show isn't authentic like the Chanakya show. I think even non-Indians can tell which one out of the two is more authentic.

Workspace%201_010.png

This is pretty much medieval Hindu India. Just look at the fort in the east.

Workspace%201_012.png

Compare

Sanchi_stupa_detail_mod.jpg

sanchi32.jpg

4295772959_a6d6d7eb58_z.jpg

6291223278_9b547397c1.jpg

Sanchi-1067.JPG

sengupta_06.jpg

Chanakya's depiction of a gate.

Edited by lilstewie

Workspace%201_012.png

TajEntryArch.jpg

They even gave the gate a medieval Persian arch. Which is found in medieval, modern India.

West_Gate.jpg

Purana_Qila_03.jpg

Red_Fort_India.jpg

Medieval Islamic influenced forts of Medieval India. You can clearly see they referenced medieval forts for a show that's supposed to take place in ancient India. Chanakya referenced the reliefs.

The styling is different than the ones in ancient India.

The architecture found on the Chanakya series and reliefs are far more authentic than the other show.

Edited by lilstewie

Lolss They shown the things in more in fantasy way.

Well, I am not historical artist or game designer. My point of view: if they they made the stuff according to chankya show.. it will look some old indian village. Not the things of 0ad time period like shown in other civil more realistic. "I could be wrong in my view".

** I am so excited to play with Maurya civil**

They done the great work in New civic center Mauryans. It looks magnificent.

Lolss They shown the things in more in fantasy way.

Well, I am not historical artist or game designer. My point of view: if they they made the stuff according to chankya show.. it will look some old indian village. Not the things of 0ad time period like shown in other civil more realistic. "I could be wrong in my view".

** I am so excited to play with Maurya civil**

They done the great work in New civic center Mauryans. It looks magnificent.

Not so much fantasy, but they(most Indian film makers) always add/mix medieval and Islamic elements into ancient India. It's like mixing Medieval/Renaissance Italian clothing, architecture, etc into the Roman republic.

Edited by lilstewie

i haven't seen chankaya(tv series 90's) completely, but in Chandragupta maurya story is little bit different, Like meeting of chankaya with chandragupta first time, shows completely different. I don't point out thing about that show, It doesn't concern to 0ad. But i am a big fan of that Chandragupta maurya (Tv series).

Other thing is what about this blog: Some researches shows Chankaya is myth:

http://rupeenews.com...nt-mention-him/

http://jainismus.hubpages.com/hub/Chanakya-Was-Not-Kautilya

Edited by om_rahul

i haven't seen chankaya(tv series 90's) completely, but in Chandragupta maurya story is little bit different, Like meeting of chankaya with chandragupta first time, shows completely different. I don't point out thing about that show, It doesn't concern to 0ad. But i am a big fan of that Chandragupta maurya (Tv series).

Other thing is what about this blog: Some researches shows Chankaya is myth:

http://rupeenews.com...nt-mention-him/

http://jainismus.hub...as-Not-Kautilya

Rupeenews always bashes India and Hindus for obvious reasons. Look at 90% of their topics. If these theories were true. Chanakya would've gone the way of many legendary figures of India.

Edited by lilstewie
  • Like 1

Rupeenews always bashes India and Hindus for obvious reasons. Look at 90% of their topics. If these theories were true. Chanakya would've gone the way of many legendary figures of India.

Yes, don't know why they took only few false lines and start shouting.

There are 1000's of evidence which shows chankya exist at Chandragupta time period.

Poems of chanakya, Chankaya written books.If someone decipher completely those texts, it will show every aspects of that time.

Scientist know trying to decipher them and i am amazed by the research of Space scientist Prof S.V. Bhavasar:

http://news.bbc.co.u...sia/1986595.stm

http://articles.time...efence-research

Edited by om_rahul

Selection_013.png

@listewie, Similar to this pix, you posted it before. i think it from foreign book(Russia). That time we talk about the costume(dhoti). Head cap: This type of head cap is never part Hindu culture. Especially its never wearied by Indian women. Lower body dress (Bharut), It must be folded to inner or cover it properly and it doesn't open like shown in pix. As far as i know the Sheilds used in are cricular. not flat rectangle.

Edited by om_rahul

Indian weapons (In this some medieval weapons also showed)

All of the amours/weapons there are medieval, modern. Funny thing about that video is that I made it. Long time ago. :sword_rune: lolz

Before I didnt know about certain things.

You can clearly tell those are later styles(influenced by Islamic works), not from the ancient period.

. As far as i know the Sheilds used in are cricular. not flat rectangle.

Not in this period. Circular shields like Dhal shields became popular later on.

Look at many of the reliefs from or around this period. The ones that did were probably Greek influenced.

Edited by lilstewie

HI! Maybe you have talked about that before, but I'd like to point out that in the movie ALEXANDER, by Oliver Stone, we have a nice view on the ancient Indian culture (in the second part of the film) which probably fits more or less to the Indian Mauryan civ we talk about in 0 A.D.

The film (that is quite accurate aesthetically I guess..) could then be another source of inspiration for architecture and crafts. I have to see the movie again, but I remember this region to be depicted in a great way, with a lot of details in the palace and an impressive battle with elephants in the forest.

According to real History chronology, Alexander is 336–323 BC, and the Mauryan Empire is 322 BC–185 BC (Wikipedia), so the Mauryan civ of 0 A.D apparently refers to the empire that started just after Alexander.

But well, maybe visually there is enough likeness to use Stone's Alexander's Indians as a reference ?...

By the way, I would love to see in detail how the made the film and how much historical sources they have based their work with.

HI! Maybe you have talked about that before, but I'd like to point out that in the movie ALEXANDER, by Oliver Stone, we have a nice view on the ancient Indian culture (in the second part of the film) which probably fits more or less to the Indian Mauryan civ we talk about in 0 A.D.

The film (that is quite accurate aesthetically I guess..) could then be another source of inspiration for architecture and crafts. I have to see the movie again, but I remember this region to be depicted in a great way, with a lot of details in the palace and an impressive battle with elephants in the forest.

According to real History chronology, Alexander is 336–323 BC, and the Mauryan Empire is 322 BC–185 BC (Wikipedia), so the Mauryan civ of 0 A.D apparently refers to the empire that started just after Alexander.

But well, maybe visually there is enough likeness to use Stone's Alexander's Indians as a reference ?...

By the way, I would love to see in detail how the made the film and how much historical sources they have based their work with.

Yes, Mauryan Empire comes after the Alexander.

When Alexander (sikandra) moves to conquer the world, he invaded the Persia. At that time Chanakya: a teacher in university (Takshila) relies that Alexandera soon will try to conquer India. He must be stop. Chanakya gone to maghad (powerful kingdom of that time) but maghad King (Dhanand) insulted him and throw him out from his palace. Chankaya take the oath, he will rid out the Dhnand and put a king who is suitable for that kingdom and can rule India. First he have to stop the Alexandera, but no king helping him. Then he found student Chandragupta, Who is not from Royal family. He trained him for years but in that time Alexandera conquer north western part of India (which is now known as Pakistan). Chankaya doesn't have any army. He knows he can't defeat Alexandera. Rather then defeating he decided tosend back the Alexandra. By chankaya strategy(niti) and Chandragupt (warrior and potential) Alexandera have to retreat back. Alexander was defeated and there is no fear to India from outside.

Now Chanakya and his student Chandragupta moves toward to conquer Maghad. They defeated the Dhnand and its the end of nand empire and "starting of Mauryan empire".

Mauryan name comes from Mother of Chandragupta Maurya called Mora gupta.

When chanakya met with chandragupt(kid), by seeing his potential he decided he will be the one who is suitable to defeat Alexandera and can become a king of united India.

Chandragupt also know as "Maurya". He got this name when he was fighting against Alexander. He use this name to hide his real identity.

Chandragupt joined the Alexander military to know about them. In between he assassinate the Alexander solider. and to save himself he told Alexandera all killing are done by Maurya.

Edited by om_rahul

Thanks for the story Om_Rahul ! Waow, that's a whole world to discover for western people like me..

On a purely visual aspect, do you think the architecture, dressings, crafts, etc of the Mauryan Empire did look pretty much the same as during the Indian Empire in the time of Alexander ? If it's just a few years or a century away, that must have look very similar. If we look at Greek art and architecture in a certain year and compare 100 years later, the differences are very few. I guess "historical accuracy" in the game can accomodate itself with this.

Thanks for the story Om_Rahul ! Waow, that's a whole world to discover for western people like me..

On a purely visual aspect, do you think the architecture, dressings, crafts, etc of the Mauryan Empire did look pretty much the same as during the Indian Empire in the time of Alexander ? If it's just a few years or a century away, that must have look very similar. If we look at Greek art and architecture in a certain year and compare 100 years later, the differences are very few. I guess "historical accuracy" in the game can accomodate itself with this.

I think mostly the things looks similar both times. In India architect of city is created according to VastuKala(Art of object: tells where structures and its followed man years before mauryan)and other things should be placed). but at that time they started using stones structure to build. As far as i know in abstract view there is not much difference. But in the End of mauryan civilization lot of new architect comes in Ashoka time. He build the budhisam temple. But there is not much difference.

House architect: In india those type of house can be easily found in villages.

Dressing: No difference at that time. Even sadi and langa is also in fashion this days but in modern way.

yes "historical accuracy" in the game will be alright.

Edited by om_rahul