Post-processing effects test (SSAO/HDR/Bloom)

Do we want that blurry, oversaturated AOE3 look?

Tbh, I love 'clean' graphics. It's hard to explain but I hope you understand what I mean exactly.

PS: too much 'bloom' can kill the atmosphere: Dawn of fantasy is a good example...

Edited by plumo

No, and we don't need to crank the effects up to 1500% like they did.

Agreed :) And we should definitely include the option to turn it (and the other things as well) off at will. Both for performance and so people who don't like it can turn it off :) (I'm not a fan of bloom myself, at least not that overdone as it was in AoE3 :) )

Alright peeps, new patch. :brow:

http://trac.wildfire...429/bumpy3.diff

This contains all the effects shown in the previous screenshot. Textures are provided for "Roman Civic Centre" and "Snow/snow grass 2" for you to try.

(Hopefully useful) Instructions:

I'm assuming you know how to download the code and compile it on your system. There are detailed build instructions on the wiki for that. Here I'll concentrate on how you can apply a code patch under Windows.

• Get the latest version of the code from the Subversion repo, or update an existing copy.
  • Download the .diff file from the link above.
  • Find the project's root directory, "\0ad" (it contains the "binaries" and "source" directories). Right-click on "0ad". If TortoiseSVN is installed correctly on your system, you should see an "Apply patch" option. Click it. Select the .diff file.
  • This should bring up a colourful dialog. Look where it shows a listing of the different files being patched (possibly somewhere on the left). Right click on the list and choose "Patch all".
  • The code is now patched! Continue to compile normally.

To actually see the effects correctly, you'll need some additional texture files, which you can find in the archive I attach below. Extract, then copy the contents of "structural" into 0ad/binaries/data/mods/public/art/textures/skins/structural/ and the contents of "terrain" into 0ad/binaries/data/mods/public/art/textures/terrain/types/snow/.

Edit: Let me note once again that this is still a work in progress.

bumpy3.zip

Edited by myconid

• Find the project's root directory, "\0ad" (it contains the "binaries" and "source" directories). Right-click on "0ad". If TortoiseSVN is installed correctly on your system, you should see an "Attach patch" option

Think that should be "apply patch" :) Also, maybe a demo map with the terrain, structures, and lighting that accentuate these changes would be helpful.

Do we have specular maps?

Think that should be "apply patch" :) Also, maybe a demo map with the terrain, structures, and lighting that accentuate these changes would be helpful.

Do we have specular maps?

Whoops, fixed.

As for a map, you can have the one I was testing with in the screenshot if you want. It's a really really ugly map. :P

Oh, specular: yes.

I should also mention that some maps look a bit too bright. You might want to try lowering the sun/ambient parameters in Atlas to an acceptable level (usually all need to go down about 10-15).

derp.zip

Edited by myconid

Hi, myconid.

I've applied your latest patch and compiled, and everything is looking great, except the Roman Civ Centre--it's turned invisible. I also get this error:

ERROR: Failed to compile shader 'shaders/glsl/model_common_norm.vs': 0(103) : error C7011: implicit cast from "vec4" to "vec3"

Do you know what is going wrong here?

Hi, myconid.

I've applied your latest patch and compiled, and everything is looking great, except the Roman Civ Centre--it's turned invisible. I also get this error:

ERROR: Failed to compile shader 'shaders/glsl/model_common_norm.vs': 0(103) : error C7011: implicit cast from "vec4" to "vec3"

Do you know what is going wrong here?

Stricter compiler?

Try changing this line in model_common_norm.vs:

v_bitangent = cross(v_normal, v_tangent);

to

v_bitangent = cross(v_normal, v_tangent.xyz);

Stricter compiler?

Try changing this line in model_common_norm.vs:

v_bitangent = cross(v_normal, v_tangent);

to

v_bitangent = cross(v_normal, v_tangent.xyz);

I guess so, your changes have solved the problem. It's all working okay now, thank you ^^

Just in case it's useful to know, I'm running this on Kubuntu 12.04 and a GeForce 310M with the official NVIDIA drivers (295.49).

Well not quite, at least it supports OpenGL 2.1 and GLSL 1.2 :P I had to make the same change as halcyonXIII and then it ran without errors. I'm not so sure there aren't any artifacts, see what you think:

post-10080-0-71113900-1338697438_thumb.j

1. Looks like bad texture filtering (it's an older card).
  2. The brightness you can lower by choosing darker sun and ambient colours.
  3. There may be some dark areas around polygon edges on the roof.

Number 3 is unexpected and may be a bug in one of the effects. Any chance we could get a closeup?

Edited by myconid

it could be possible to regulate distance fog depending on terrain?

i mean: more fog near water (river, lake, sea) and tropical terrains, and less in desertic terrains

Well, I plan to expose settings for the fog colour, fade distance and max thickness, which you'll be able to set for each map.

As for having more fog in particular places, you'll need to use other techniques in addition to this.

"Volumetric" ground fog is one such technique to get misty valleys or fog over the water.

For real, awesome-looking fog, you need to use particles (which are supported by the engine, but I don't know to what extent). That's in the domain of cloud rendering, where there are algorithms like this.

1. Looks like bad texture filtering (it's an older card).
  2. The brightness you can lower by choosing darker sun and ambient colours.
  3. There may be some dark areas around polygon edges on the roof.

Number 3 is unexpected and may be a bug in one of the effects. Any chance we could get a closeup?

post-10080-0-71029400-1338772775_thumb.j

This computer is anything but stable, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was just a glitch of my hardware :)

OK, I tested latest patch. There are some compile warnings:

../../../source/graphics/mikktspace.cpp: In function ‘int Build4RuleGroups(STriInfo*, SGroup*, int*, const int*, int)’:
../../../source/graphics/mikktspace.cpp:1099:18: warning: unused variable ‘bAnswer’ [-Wunused-variable]
../../../source/graphics/mikktspace.cpp:1104:18: warning: unused variable ‘bDiff’ [-Wunused-variable]
../../../source/graphics/mikktspace.cpp:1109:18: warning: unused variable ‘bAnswer’ [-Wunused-variable]
../../../source/graphics/mikktspace.cpp:1114:18: warning: unused variable ‘bDiff’ [-Wunused-variable]
../../../source/graphics/mikktspace.cpp:1072:12: warning: unused variable ‘iNrMaxGroups’ [-Wunused-variable]
../../../source/renderer/InstancingModelRenderer.cpp: In constructor ‘IModelDef::IModelDef(const CModelDefPtr&, bool)’:
../../../source/renderer/InstancingModelRenderer.cpp:127:7: warning: unused variable ‘p’ [-Wunused-variable]
../../../source/renderer/InstancingModelRenderer.cpp:100:16: warning: unused variable ‘vertices’ [-Wunused-variable]
../../../source/renderer/InstancingModelRenderer.cpp:166:14: warning: unused variable ‘faces’ [-Wunused-variable]
../../../source/renderer/MikktspaceWrap.cpp:44:5: warning: unused parameter ‘pContext’ [-Wunused-parameter]
../../../source/renderer/MikktspaceWrap.cpp:44:5: warning: unused parameter ‘iFace’ [-Wunused-parameter]
../../../source/renderer/MikktspaceWrap.cpp:88:6: warning: unused parameter ‘fvBiTangent’ [-Wunused-parameter]
../../../source/renderer/MikktspaceWrap.cpp:88:6: warning: unused parameter ‘fMagS’ [-Wunused-parameter]
../../../source/renderer/MikktspaceWrap.cpp:88:6: warning: unused parameter ‘fMagT’ [-Wunused-parameter]

Here is what I get on my Radeon X1600:

screenshot0003gh.png

Note: Radeon X1600 is OpenGL 2.1/GLSL 1.20.

Also:

I'm using fglrx. I wasn't even aware the OSS driver was capable of 3d yet...

Note that on next Linux distributions round you'll have to use the mesa driver as well, since fglrx will drop support for 2xxx->4xxx cards on newer kernel/xorg.

Well, I plan to expose settings for the fog colour, fade distance and max thickness, which you'll be able to set for each map.

As for having more fog in particular places, you'll need to use other techniques in addition to this.

"Volumetric" ground fog is one such technique to get misty valleys or fog over the water.

For real, awesome-looking fog, you need to use particles (which are supported by the engine, but I don't know to what extent). That's in the domain of cloud rendering, where there are algorithms like this.

What about using some of the cloud/fog code in Flightgear? AFAIR they're pretty good at semi-realistic clouds. Not sure if it can be easily used in Pyrogenesis though.