Ptolemaic Dynasty

Sef

10,000 Arabs in the Daphne Parade, apparently, which is a larger contingent of light infantry than any other I've seen listed in all of the Seleucid battles I've read about. Though, I kind of like the idea of using the Kurds (Kardakes/Cardaces).

Why don't use Jews, there's some information that Jews served Lydia and India before they turn against their masters?

Sorry, friend. If my words hurt your feeling.

I was wondering how did the Maccabee uprising could possibly defeat the Seleucids where they have the mightiest army in the known world unless they have undergone a high level of Hellenization in military training with of course a large number of Hellenic arms and equipment supplies. How did they gain such training if not the Seleucids drafted them for military service until they have a good understand on Seleucid tactics and organization but i cannot refute that the great efforts the Maccabees pay to dislodge the Seleucids from Israel.

Looking back to the earlier times before Maccabee uprising, when Seleucids are fighting against the Ptolemy Dynasty that raise my curiosity, how did the Seleucids defend their territory in Israel, Judah, Antioch and regions in Levant and Syria when they could hardly trust the Syrians, Babylonians and Anatolians to serve the Seleucid army? Who will if not the Jewish people?

Look, when Mythos Ruler mentioned the Arab auxiliary which give me a goosebumps, did they frequently use them or just because they have numerical strength in a single battle then it was considered as one of the standing army is hard to accept. At first i was thinking of thureophoros but since only Royal Stoa can produce them and the Royal Stoa is Editor-Only unit my hopes was shattered so i have to find who's the better candidate for skirmisher which i found that Seleucids are particularly weak on skirmisher until i stumble upon the Europa Barbarorum where they have a nice introduction about the unit and the reasons they recruit these unit.

seleukid_iudaioi_taxeis.gif

Iudaioi Taxeis (Jewish Spearmen)

Description:

One of the oddities of certain Seleukidos policies produced the armed Ioudaios militia. By some twist of fate these intrepid men from Ioudaia and other places with large Iudaios populations were levied, trained extensively, and set as garrisons in various towns from Lydia to India. For the most part, isolated from their people, they served their Seleukidos lords with distinction. They were generally outfitted in the older Phrygian style helmets and given a spear and shield. They supplemented this with some leather armor made by their families, and went on their way. They form a fair amount of the Seleukidos garrison armies, and are generally reliable spearmen. They are worth far more than their training and expense to the state would credit them for.

Historically, the Iudaios garrison forces fought hard for the Seleukidos Empire in its losing battle throughout the east, both as Pantodapoi and as these slightly wealthier and much better trained soldiers. They formed the core of the Iudaios revolt later on in the period, but during the first hundred years they were reliable and trustworthy troops. More trustworthy than Persai and natives of Asia Minor, at least.

The description was odd because the looks of the soldier with two spare javelin suggested he was a skirmisher if not a medium skirmisher so i assume that he is a skirmisher.

Edited by The Crooked Philosopher

• 3 weeks later...

There are recent suggestions that the Maccabaean revolt never really was the military revolt it was later described to be in the Maccabaeans I and II. John Ma rather sees it as rather minor revolt that was dealt with by diplomacy rather than war, in a recent and very credible paper he has been presenting.

Edit: for the Hellenistic factions thyreos carrying troops are a must in my opinion.

Edited by Moros