Ptolemaic Dynasty

Sef

Just realised your missing a major civilization, the Egyptians or Ptolemaic Dynasty. is there already plans under way for these or are you only adding Civilizations that were after 0ad? Maybe you could base them off the last few years of there rule when Cleopatra ruled them in 30bc which is not far from 0ad.i would like to definately see some Egyptian architecture and units in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ptolemies and Romans built Egyptian style temples, so Ptolemy Auletes XII (see ]this"]http://en.wikipedia....sh_212.jpg for example) or properly Ptolemaios Néos Diónusos Theós Philopátōr Theós Philádelphos who could not speak the Egyptian language, was depicted on temples as a Pharoah, also Augustus. Only Cleopatra VII (the famous Liz Taylor one) ever learned the language. The point is that an Egyptian faction needs only a very slight classical touch, and it would be accurate.

• Like 1

Well maybe you could add an essence of all 3 into the civ, like the Celts and the Britons are 1 faction called the Celts right? Personally i would add the very early Egyptians (Achaemenid) because they are the true Egyptians with there Pharaohs and them cool curved swords/head dresses they used. Another question, is part 1 of 0ad the version after the Alpha or will that be Beta stage?

Another question, is part 1 of 0ad the version after the Alpha or will that be Beta stage?

After the Alphas will come Betas, and after the betas will come the final release. All of part one :) Part one is the part we're working on at the moment, including the civs which were important during the 500BC to 1BC time period, and including the basic RTS gameplay. After we've finished part one (through alphas, betas and through to the final release) the idea is to continue to add the civs which were important during the 1AD to 500AD time period and expand on the gameplay. It remains to be seen exactly how work continues after part one is done, whether we split it up in smaller batches (part 1.1, part 1.2, etc) or do something similar to now with alphas, betas and eventually a final release of all the new content.

• Like 1

It remains to be seen exactly how work continues after part one is done, whether we split it up in smaller batches (part 1.1, part 1.2, etc) or do something similar to now with alphas, betas and eventually a final release of all the new content.
personally, id recommend spending alot of time pre-programming to design the civs on paper (and of course decide on what you want to include) and then do the same thing as with part one, with the alphas and then release it all in one go. of course, part 2 would probably come up alot sooner because the engine will be complete by that point ;)

personally, id recommend spending alot of time pre-programming to design the civs on paper (and of course decide on what you want to include) and then do the same thing as with part one, with the alphas and then release it all in one go. of course, part 2 would probably come up alot sooner because the engine will be complete by that point ;)

Well, some planning will have to be done beforehand of course, but we can add one civ per .x release or something, so that's no reason not to do things another way. Either way, it's not to be decided now, but rather once part one is finished :)

Well maybe you could add an essence of all 3 into the civ, like the Celts and the Britons are 1 faction called the Celts right? Personally i would add the very early Egyptians (Achaemenid) because they are the true Egyptians with there Pharaohs and them cool curved swords/head dresses they used. Another question, is part 1 of 0ad the version after the Alpha or will that be Beta stage?

You mean The Old Kingdom? You realise that the kingdom takes place 3,000 years before 0 AD takes place? Even the New Kingdom takes place 1,500 years before the game, which is the height of Egypts power.

I'd love to see Egypt, It might be out of place considering the time and technology is extremely different(Bronze age, Iron age). Although this could mean that Egypt is extremely unique.

On the other hand, are you guys planning on doing to the Celts like you did with the Hellenistic factions? Britons and Gauls? Both are extremely different, and fought differently.

Depends what you mean by "height" of Egypt's power. At their greatest extent, the Ptolemies ruled all of Egypt, Cyrene, Cyprus, Judea, and parts of Asia Minor. I would love to add them (and the Seleucids). They would add some great flavor to the look of the game. Some units off the top of my head:

Infantry

• Machimoi (Egyptian) Phalangites (Inf.Spear)
  • Galatian Mercenary Swordsmen (Inf.Sword)
  • Libyan Skirmishers (Inf.Jav)
  • Judean Slingers (Inf.Sling)
  • Nubian Archers (Inf.Bow)

Cavalry

• "Tarantine" Skirmish Cavalry (Cav.Jav)
  • Macedonian Klereukos Cavalry (Cav.Spear)

Champions

• Agema Basilikos (King's Guard Cavalry)
  • North African Towered War Elephants

Heroes

• Ptolemaios I Soter
  • Ptolemaios IV Philopater
  • Cleopatra VII

I have no idea when we could add them, though. The bulk of the art dept.'s efforts from now until Gold release will be to add the Mauryan Indians, redoing the unit meshes and animations, and working on singleplayer campaign assets.

Ugh i feel dumb, i admit i don't know much about Ptolemies or, really Roman egypt. That tree looks almost identical to the Macedonian trees, with the exception of the Elephants. Seleucids at the very least would be different because of the wide variety of levy troops they will have access to. Baktria, Iran, and Armenia could all contribute.

Ugh i feel dumb, i admit i don't know much about Ptolemies or, really Roman egypt. That tree looks almost identical to the Macedonian trees, with the exception of the Elephants. Seleucids at the very least would be different because of the wide variety of levy troops they will have access to. Baktria, Iran, and Armenia could all contribute.

Their stats would be different though, and a different tech tree. :) They'd look different too. Buildings would be completely different too. Ptolemies would get the Lighthouse and Library I currently give the Macedonians.

Seleucids

Infantry

• Phalangites (Inf.Spear) Bronze Shield -> Gold Shield -> Silver Shield
  • Romanized Thorakites (Inf.Sword)
  • Arab Skirmisher (Inf.Jav)
  • Syrian Archer (Inf.Bow)

Cavalry

• Xystophoros -> Hetairos -> Katafraktos (Cav.Spear)
  • Parthian or Scythian Horse Archer (Cav.Bow)
  • Median Light Cavalry (Cav.Jav)

Champions

• Hypaspistes
  • Scythe Chariot
  • Armoured War Elephant

Heroes

• Seleukos I Nikator ("The Victor")
  • Antiokhos III Megas ("The Great")
  • Antiokhos IV Epiphanes ("The Illustrious")

• Like 1

I think Kurdish Javelin might make more sense, since i don't think the Seleucids ever occupied the Arabic peninsula.

The Thracians are already largely represented in the armies of other factions or as mercenaries trainable by whoever has ownership of a Royal Stoa.

I really think you guys should add the Odrysian Kingdoms. You have the Getic, Thracian and early Dacian tribes all packed into 1 incredibly hard hitting Civ. Dacian Phalanx and Falxmen, Thracian Peltasts and Rhomphilia, Gretic Horsemen and Horse Archers.

I think Kurdish Javelin might make more sense, since i don't think the Seleucids ever occupied the Arabic peninsula.

10,000 Arabs in the Daphne Parade, apparently, which is a larger contingent of light infantry than any other I've seen listed in all of the Seleucid battles I've read about. Though, I kind of like the idea of using the Kurds (Kardakes/Cardaces).

Depends what you mean by "height" of Egypt's power. At their greatest extent, the Ptolemies ruled all of Egypt, Cyrene, Cyprus, Judea, and parts of Asia Minor. I would love to add them (and the Seleucids). They would add some great flavor to the look of the game. Some units off the top of my head:

I have no idea when we could add them, though. The bulk of the art dept.'s efforts from now until Gold release will be to add the Mauryan Indians, redoing the unit meshes and animations, and working on singleplayer campaign assets.

ooh, i just got an idea! maybe, if it ever gets to that (perhaps as filler) the current hellenes could be divided into the Macedonians and Poleis (as, i believe, youve already speculated on) with the greeks diverging into different significant city-states (Athens, Sparta, Syracuse, and one more) while the Macedonians can diverge into different post-Alexander states: the Attalids, the Seleucids, the Ptolemaics, and the straight-up Macedonians (since macedonia itself persisted as a rump-state after alexander's death). the only difficulty i see with this would be that the buildings wouldnt be as unique, so the "egyptians" wouldnt really look like egyptians. it could also fill-out that #8 civ that i suggested in another thread

It would also be possible to make mini-factions, which is an idea we discussed internally. Maybe 3 or 4 units, a hero, and 4 or 5 buildings per mini-faction. Anything like that is low priority and depends on our mood. :)

i'd like to see the system with indian tribes like in aoe3. minor civs can have a small city on the map that you can claim, thus unlocking a few units and unique technologies.

It would also be possible to make mini-factions, which is an idea we discussed internally. Maybe 3 or 4 units, a hero, and 4 or 5 buildings per mini-faction. Anything like that is low priority and depends on our mood. :)

personally, ive put some speculation into "false factions" for my mythology mod idea where a unique technology replaces all the units and buildings of a civilization with something different, both historical and fictional ones (so, for example, there could be a "false faction" simulating Atlantis)