Anybody with the SVN version of the game want to help out?

Mythos_Ruler

I need someone with some time on their hands and who has an up-to-date SVN copy of the game top help out with some map design stuff. It might be tedious or it might not be. Point is though you help add something to the game. :) Basically, we might be giving the Iberians an interesting bonus: Essentially, the Iberians would start every match with a prefab circuit of walls as one of their civ bonuses. So, what I need is someone to go through the maps in SVN and add a circuit of walls around the Iberian starting point. I have already done about 3 different maps, but there are a bunch more. All you'd have to do is look at the maps I've already done and do all the other maps where applicable (for the Iberians only). The circuits should be organic looking, not a big square or circle. Just approximate what I've already done on the other maps.

Anyone up for the challenge? Could let multiple people claim different maps.

Attached are a few examples of that I'm talking about to make things clearer.

post-130-0-00711800-1334474427_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-82078100-1334474437_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-63574600-1334474466_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I need someone with some time on their hands and who has an up-to-date SVN copy of the game top help out with some map design stuff. It might be tedious or it might not be. Point is though you help add something to the game. :) Basically, we might be giving the Iberians an interesting bonus: Essentially, the Iberians would start every match with a prefab circuit of walls as one of their civ bonuses. So, what I need is someone to go through the maps in SVN and add a circuit of walls around the Iberian starting point. I have already done about 3 different maps, but there are a bunch more. All you'd have to do is look at the maps I've already done and do all the other maps where applicable (for the Iberians only). The circuits should be organic looking, not a big square or circle. Just approximate what I've already done on the other maps.

Anyone up for the challenge? Could let multiple people claim different maps.

Attached are a few examples of that I'm talking about to make things clearer.

If the starting walls are a civ bonus then all the random maps would need that to to be consistent.

I could add the walls to the default starting entity placement function createStartingPlayerEntities for iberians if that is wanted.

I think some other changes like cut some trees around the start locations would be needed then too though.

BTW Mythos_Ruler, I send you a map in a PM that had this functionality. Guess it's outdated now though.

Edited by FeXoR

This wall won't work for some of the random maps. The ones with "natural" barriers like bodies of sea and cliffs (e.g. archipelago, cantabrian highlands, etc.). For those maps, some towers would suffice. Or it'd be a pain to create different shapes of walls for every random map.

• Like 1

This wall won't work for some of the random maps. The ones with "natural" barriers like bodies of sea and cliffs (e.g. archipelago, cantabrian highlands, etc.). For those maps, some towers would suffice. Or it'd be a pain to create different shapes of walls for every random map.

I'm at it though I have to agree it's not that easy...

As long as it works for most maps, and then on the maps where it doesn't work we give them some defense towers, I think is more than acceptable. (y)

I will add walls as iberian starting entities but will wait until all races walls entities are in place so I don't have to adjust things every few days...

It would be nice if someone would add a comment when all factions have walls of the same length (and perhaps again if models are unique for all civs) as far as is planned.

Edited by FeXoR

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's a start:

iber_wall_civ_bonus2012-5-3.zip

I added a new starting unit placement method to rmgen misc and adjusted all random maps to it. Iberians now have walls added to their starting entities automatically. They can be set (e.g. to towers only) for maps where walls doesn't fit by an optional keyword argument so the function can be easily adjusted to any further needs without adjusting all rms again (which sucks). Rms no further need to get the starting entities - the place function does it now.

I didn't test if the trees caught in the walls cause trouble...

The fortresses are not randomizes yet but will be.

Some variation might perhaps be nice (sometimes elliptic, sometimes irregular polygons, ...)

See the wall_demo rms for some examples.

Most naval maps only have towers added.

Edited by FeXoR

Not bad. I wish they had towers at the "gates" and the wall layout wasn't so geometrical. See the Oasis 10 map for example.

As I said, it's gone be more irregular.

Towers at gate makes at least 10 (if placed in the gap). isn't that a bit much?

Edited by FeXoR

Not really. When we have gates there will need to be towers there anyway. :)

Here we go...

iber_wall_civ_bonus2012-5-4.zip

Best map to test this is the good old "New RMS Test" map.

Perhaps you might want to play around with the arguments in rmgen/misc.js line 200.

Or try the other possible fortress types by documenting them in after line 200 (and document out line 200 itself ofc.).

Concave angles are not supported. I did that before but ran into problems making the last wall entity fit. It would need some tries to get a well fitting fortress and sometimes walls crossed (when random numbers where significant lower than average). In addition it was not really possible to determine the final size of the fortress in any way (only the average size which isn't enough on most random maps). So I abolished that approach. 

Edited by FeXoR

Doesn't look too shabby. I would cut down the number of "gates" to 3 or 4, and make the area the walls enclose a little bigger.

To reduce the number of gates (entries for now) just reduce the number of corners in rmgen/misc.js line 200. They where set to randInt(5, 10), changed max to 7 so perhaps it's ok already. If you like more corners but less gates tell me so I can drop every 2nd or so (though with 5 corners min. there might be only be 3 gates and them ending up in the woods of the random maps would cause the player to be trapped).

The default fortress radius should definitely not be larger! Just raise the fortress radius in rmgen/misc.js (iberWallRadius line 193) and load a few maps. There's just not enough space on most. However, I can easily add an additional keyword argument to make the radius adjustable for each map (though I doubt this will be largely used).

I dug out the old code for more organic looking fortresses and adjusted it a bit. I got the size more stable at the same randomness. Added it and it can be setup in line 203 of rmgen/misc.js. They are closed by a linear wall so not all parts of the wall are bended. I'll try to reduce the length of the linear part further.

I replaced the entries with gates just to show how it looks. I will change them back before committing ofc. To make them playable just replace 'gate' with 'entry' in rmgen/wall_builder.js line 634 (for irregular polygonal fortresses) and for the others in rmgen/misc.js line 203, 206, 209 and 212.

Since there are 4 shapes working fine (for me) perhaps the style could be chosen randomly... I'd like that.

iber_wall_civ_bonus2012-5-4b.zip

Edit: Since it's already in the SVN repo I assume you like it :D

It seams you're not a big friend of discussions :laugh:

However, that was not considered final for me :acute:. There is much debug logging left and if we only want to use one fortress shape the other shape's code (documented out anyways) should be removed from misk.js. IMO. I'll post a cleaner version (only the files to update) later somewhere... ;)

Edited by FeXoR

Hehe, sorry, yeah, I threw it into SVN because...

:)

Good work!

Yes, I was told in the chat, NP, was just a little nervous that something might not always work properly but it's ok.

No errors should occur and if the walls doesn't always look well we can just tweak the arguments ;)

Thx!

Edited by FeXoR