0 A.D. officially in Debian (sid) and Ubuntu (12.04 - precise)

fabio

Just to let you know that 0 A.D. officially landed into Debian and Ubuntu repositories. So if you are using Debian 7 or Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) or later versions you can install the 0ad package and get 0 A.D. alpha 9.

Debian packages link

Ubuntu packages link

Newer versions can be found in Ubuntu backports. See here for information on how to manually install it, or here to enable automatic installation of backports.

nvidia-texture-tools package was also packaged some day before it (with the proper patches needed by 0 A.D.), and the 0ad packages use it.

DONE in alpha 11: There may be a problem if you installed it from the Ubuntu PPA before: the PPA packages use a version number like 0.0.0+r11339-1, while the official packages use a version number like 0~r11339-1. This mean that if you want to use the official version you should remove the PPA version before installing it, otherwise the PPA version will always have the precedence since 0.0.0+r... > 0~r..., no matter if the PPA is alpha 1 and the official is alpha 9. Eventually 0ad official tarball should use a common version numbering to avoid this, e.g. alpha 10 could use 0ad-0.0.10.tar.xz.

DONE in alpha 11: The 0ad Ubuntu packages in the PPA should also be rebased to use the same official build system (svn tree of 0ad svn tree of 0ad-data), to avoid package conflicts and to be comparable in features (e.g. linking to distribution nvidia-texture-tools). Features available only in the PPA packages should be sent to the official packages for merging (0ad 0ad-data).

Edited by fabio

Thanks for the report (y) Any indication as to why 0 A.D. is included at this moment and not either sooner or once we reach 1.0?

I think it was included now because nvidia-texture-tools was properly packaged, because the 0ad packages get ready and someone sponsored it. There are many other alpha-quality games in debian, and other that get packaged only after a stable version. The fact that it was packaged still in this alpha state is also an acknowledge of the quality of the game and users interest in it. :cheers:

Thanks for the report (y) Any indication as to why 0 A.D. is included at this moment and not either sooner or once we reach 1.0?

2 simple reasons:

1) I finally have some spare time now that exams are over. :D

2) The freeze date for Debian wheezy is rapidly approaching (mid-June), and I want to clear up the backlog of stuff that I intend to package before that happens. 0 A.D. has been sitting on my packaging TODO list for months now.

I'm somewhat surprised that Ubuntu picked up 0 A.D. so quickly (I thought Debian import freeze took place back in January?), but then again, I'm not as familiar with Ubuntu's release cycle as I am with that of Debian.

Anyways, I just wanted to give a shoutout to ricotz for his packaging work (which I used as a base for my own set of packages) and to fabio for all his help and advice these past few weeks as I packaged 0 A.D. Thanks! :)

I'm somewhat surprised that Ubuntu picked up 0 A.D. so quickly (I thought Debian import freeze took place back in January?), but then again, I'm not as familiar with Ubuntu's release cycle as I am with that of Debian.

I sponsored nvtt and 0ad for Ubuntu (and they got accepted at the last day, FinalFreeze was the 12th).

Thanks to you for all the great work! :ok:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Such necro.

Maybe close this old redundant thread?

Or we could stop replying to it :) If someone has to go around and close all old redundant threads it takes a lot of work. If people just avoid replying if there isn't anything relevant to add it takes less work for all of us ;)

• Like 1