Back again, wanted to say hi once more :)

Kyriakos

Hello again, i used to post here for a little while some time ago.

I would like to showcase what i made from (mostly) concept art from 0 AD (the Greek set at least). You might recognize some of the buildings in this small scale :D

hDOmp.png

I am always looking for concept art for my 3d isometric rendered miniature creations. I recall this forum has a river of excellent art flowing, so i am happy to be back :)

Edited by Kyriakos

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. It's definitely a skill in its own right to be able to create objects that look good at that scale, so great work I say (y) (And welcome back :) )

Glad to find you again :)

Yes, it is a different skill than making full 3d objects for 3d-environment in a game, since the latter have to have less details and more texture work. I on the contrary use basic textures, and carve the details with the polygon count rising. Maybe in the future i will try the other approach too, although since this is just a hobby to me i am not sure i will ever get to the point of producing stuff for full 3d games...

Also, i had asked this before, the last time i was here, but wanted to make sure it still holds true:

Can i use graphic screens from 0 ad as concept art for my own 3d modeling? I make all models from nothing, but i need concept art, and from what i see 0 ad has a massive amount of excellent quality graphics :)

Also if there is any map of buildings anywhere (i am checking the screenshots page for the time being) it would REALLY help me create!

Edit: you may recognize these too, the hispanic dock and the greek fort :)

kZQXj.png

Edited by Kyriakos

For inspiration it's definitely fine, if you'd want to use the actual models/textures you'd have to follow the CC-BY-SA Creative Commons license, but not just to be inspired :) If you distribute the images anywhere it's appreciated if you would link to us/let people know where you were inspired though :)

For where to find images, well, the easiest way is probably to download the game and look at the buildings in Atlas (the scenario/map editor), but we have posted images of the buildings for different civs when a new civ is released at e.g. http://www.moddb.com/games/0-ad/images/roman-building-set-for-alpha-9#imagebox etc if you don't want to/can do that :)

Hi, and thank you for the welcome :)

Unfortunately i still use Bryce 6, which is crap for exporting models. Bryce 7 in theory could export to what 0 ad uses, but as usual it is crippled with bugs and essentially cannot export.

Moreover i am not sure if my models would look as good in larger scale, for i do not uv-map them; these are all directly applied textures i am using.

Maybe when i spend more time using 3dsmax (if i will that is) things will change.

0 AD looks amazing btw :)

Cool images! This reminds me of mod'ing AoK back in the days of sprites before 3D.

You should check out this thread: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15503

If you could talk someone into getting you at toggle for an isometric mode view in the game or atlas editor - you should do some quick screen captures and you would be way ahead of starting from scratch.

Like Erik mentioned - you should get into Atlas. Click those links in the table of contents.

• 1 month later...

The set view looks great, although i think too much effort would be wasted if it is permantently used (?) since so many artists (and programmers) secured a full 3d environment :)

Anyway, i moved on to a new style, and here is something that may seem familiar since a lot of the models were reconstructions of 0 AD concept art originals!

PLQmv.png

Thank you both :)

I did try to export into 0 ad format, but Bryce is crap as an exporter- always has been- and the file was crippled :/

Problem is i only am able to use intricate lighting (and to some extent textures, although keep in mind none of these are uv-mapped) in Bryce, and not in 3dsmax which i also can use somewhat...

Here is a collection of some of the recent work:

0havI.png

I had a look at the link you gave about the strategic map. Looks wonderful, but it seems you use 3d models there too, not static images, so i am not sure if i can help...

Edited by Kyriakos

I finished the elven set :)

1WABx.png

I still am interested in helping with the strategic map. Perhaps a walkthrough on how to get from a finished 3d model to a graphic on that map would be helpful, unless you feel it already is doomed to fail due to wonderful-exporter Bryce :D

Looks great!

I still am interested in helping with the strategic map. Perhaps a walkthrough on how to get from a finished 3d model to a graphic on that map would be helpful, unless you feel it already is doomed to fail due to wonderful-exporter Bryce :D

Why don't you experiment to see if you can export from Bryce and open the file in Blender? Do you use UV mapping in Bryce?

Thank you :)

I will, although Bryce is known to be utter crap at exporting, always was in all versions...

Btw i am very excited today cause a short story of mine will be published in a newspaper of London (one of the diasporic ones). It is my fourth ever published story in a periodical/paper (i write psychological fiction)... I am still anxious about it...

• 3 weeks later...