Wall Creation

LTGoldman

I have recently installed the latest Alpha 0AD (Alpha 9) and it strikes me when building walls as being a very slow and tricky thing to do. It would be nice to beable to drag a path for wall creation and then your builders will get on with it and this path of creation adjusts with the contours of the map. Currently you can only build walls bit by bit by holding the shift key down. Could this be implemented? (Unless I am doing something wrong)?

LTGoldman

Cool; thanks for the reply. When this game is complete I think it will be very good.

Hi LTGoldman,

This is indeed a feature that has long gone unimplemented. We're working on an implementation right now though, so it shouldn't be very much longer until we have a usable wall building system in place :)

Good to see how the game's coming along. (y)

Speaking of walls, I think this would be suitable for 0AD as well!

Perhpas have a research item in the tree? Michael, ya hear me? Something like a "civil engineer" or quality control tech that could commit the resources and money to repairing each wall segment? And when under attack, that unit would be the first to go?

I think units just automatically moving from wall segment to wall segment to repair them should, well, be automatic. Doesn't seem to me to be something that should be unlocked. Should just happen from the beginning of the game.

This already happens for the construction of the foundations, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for repairs as well :)

We're trying for something like this:

Hell, this is nearly impossible to implement for the AI, isn't it? It's still great! I would love to see the walling-system from AoE3 in 0 A.D.

edit: I yust realized that you also need the capibility to build walls with a dynamic length. Is that possible in 0 A.D.?

Edited by Almin

Hell, this is nearly impossible to implement for the AI, isn't it? It's still great! I would love to see the walling-system from AoE3 in 0 A.D.

Funny you should say that - AoE3's developers tried to make its AI build walls, but didn't make it work flawlessly so it was removed.