Priest Praying for Resources

I would like to develop the following feature myself if I could figure out the api and logic around the action development.I was thinking of adding a new function to the priest unit. I wish to add the ability that he pray for resources. The action will put the priest in a praying position that every 1 minute the person increase one of his resources (wood or food or metal or stone) by a defined amount.

I would love and comment about this feature, any instruction how to develop it. I am trying to figure the api and the changes I need to do using

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/999 since that is the implementation of heal for the priest but since no documentation on the apis is available I am getting stuck.

I would like to develop the following feature myself if I could figure out the api and logic around the action development.I was thinking of adding a new function to the priest unit. I wish to add the ability that he pray for resources. The action will put the priest in a praying position that every 1 minute the person increase one of his resources (wood or food or metal or stone) by a defined amount.

I would love and comment about this feature, any instruction how to develop it. I am trying to figure the api and the changes I need to do using

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/999 since that is the implementation of heal for the priest but since no documentation on the apis is available I am getting stuck.

First of all: please note that this functionality most likely will not be added into 0 A.D. even if there will be a patch for it, because we already have trading which is basically the same generating-resources-from-nothing but with more strategic elements, like you need to carefully place markets (on the maximum possible distance to get maximal gain (which raises non-linear depending on distance), but making sure that trade routes are safe enough or risking) or trade with allies which provide more gain etc. And if I correctly understand your idea you just need to create a priest, move him into a safe place and start generating resources.

But if you want to implement this just to make yourself familiar with the code or want to make a mini-mod, this sounds like a good exercise. This is probably a good document to get acquainted with simulation architecture: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/SimulationArchitecture .

From quick thinking you will need to implement following things: a simulation component, unit ai functionality, gui representation and interaction between simulation and gui parts (via GuiInterface and commands).

More detailed:

Simulation part:

1. Add a simulation component like 'Priest', it can contain some settings and logic (see binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/components)

2. Add your component to some templates (see binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates, probably to binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/template_unit_support_healer.xml), this will define which units should have this functionality

3. Pass some info from simulation scripts to gui scripts via binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/components/GuiInterface.js : GetEntityState , like:

var cmpPriest = Engine.QueryInterface(ent, IID_Priest);
if (cmpPriest)
{
ret.priest = <...>
}

4. Add a command into binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/helpers/Commands.js : ProcessCommand (this is what will be called by gui part):

case "pray":
<...>

5. Implement UnitAI functionality (binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/components/UnitAI.js): what unit should do in the praying state (i.e. generate resources after time intervals, this will use functionality from Priest component)

Gui part:

Add a command into binaries/data/mods/public/gui/session/utility_functions.js : getEntityCommandsList , like:

if (entState.priest)
{
commands.push({
"name": "pray",
"tooltip": "Pray for resources",
"icon": "pray.png"
});
}

I'm not sure, but I think this should display a button under unit's portrait and bind click to it with sending 'pray' command into simulation part.

In all these places you can look how other things around are implemented.