A couple of questions

So, Ive been working on a little campaign, just testing stuff. So far it seems that actual story-driven scenarios are rather hard to produce, with the lack of scripts and so on, but Ive been making some simple search-and-destroy type scenarios. Now heres some questions:

1. In the future, would it be possible if there was some way of making "neutral" units? As in, like in Age of Empires; When you walk near a neutral unit or building, that unit or building converts to you. Would be very neat to have.

2. Are there plans for an actual campaign interface? For example, again, Age of Empires II's campaign "map". It had a drawn map with the locations of all the missions, maybe it could be possible for the maker to make his own background and place the missions on the map and so on? Or maybe something like in Empires: Dawn of the Modern World, when there was a small window to the left with a list of the missions, and on the right a big screen of a looping action sequence.

So, Ive been working on a little campaign, just testing stuff. So far it seems that actual story-driven scenarios are rather hard to produce, with the lack of scripts and so on, but Ive been making some simple search-and-destroy type scenarios. Now heres some questions:

That sounds interesting, do you have any more details?

1. In the future, would it be possible if there was some way of making "neutral" units? As in, like in Age of Empires; When you walk near a neutral unit or building, that unit or building converts to you. Would be very neat to have.

I think this is most likely to happen using a trigger system, the way AoE did it felt a bit like a hack to me. I would rather have a trigger where if you walk to a certain area these units get converted/created. A trigger system isn't planned for the part 1 release though.

2. Are there plans for an actual campaign interface? For example, again, Age of Empires II's campaign "map". It had a drawn map with the locations of all the missions, maybe it could be possible for the maker to make his own background and place the missions on the map and so on? Or maybe something like in Empires: Dawn of the Modern World, when there was a small window to the left with a list of the missions, and on the right a big screen of a looping action sequence.

For part one there are plans for an "imperial campaign" which will be similar to risk, where you conquer regions. This is so that we can have a campaign without needing triggers to be implemented. Beyond that I don't think there are any plans.

What kind of details? The story? Well I can say that it most propably wont be historically accurate :P As for additional scripts, well, basically, the more the merrier. Area triggers, agent killed triggers, so on and forth.

Yeah, that definitely sounds a lot more flexible than the AoE system. Pity that its not coming in the first part, but atleast I can work with this info in mind.

Ah, I see. Sounds good for the game itself, hopefully it will be somewhat moddable.

What kind of details? The story? Well I can say that it most propably wont be historically accurate :P As for additional scripts, well, basically, the more the merrier. Area triggers, agent killed triggers, so on and forth.

Yeah, that definitely sounds a lot more flexible than the AoE system. Pity that its not coming in the first part, but atleast I can work with this info in mind.

Ah, I see. Sounds good for the game itself, hopefully it will be somewhat moddable.

I was thinking about the story, I'm just being nosy basically.

i think what was done with Age of Mythology would be better, with a menu to the side where all the campaigns and their missions are displayed and can be selected, while the bottom edge of the screen is devoted to exiting out of the menu (or going to other menus) and a description of the selected scenario, while the rest of the screen shows an image relevant to the scenario, such as artwork of a major event in the scenario (for example, one based on the trojan war could have the horse approaching the gates of the city), or a map displaying the progress of the campaign over a geographic area

• 2 months later...