Random Map Script:Canyon

Spahbod

Another map using the random biome system. I am not satisfied with it though and I am looking for your ideas and suggestions to make this better.

Players start in "wholes" in the mountains connected to each other by some roads. There is also a larger valley in the middle of the map. It is overall a very hard map lacking both building space and resources.

Canyon.png

I took screenshots from the different stages of design. Some might find them interesting (including myself). But it isn't easy to upload them all so I created this short clip from the images.

Link to download the clip

I'm looking forward into your suggestions to make this better.

canyon.zip

The players' starting zones are too spherical. Make them a bit more jagged (a setting of about 0.05 gives good results and you can keep the whole thing pretty spherical). Perhaps you should consider a different terrain for the bottom of the canyon, even when there are no roads (something more dry, or more lush). Perhaps adding a bit of variety in the heights of the canyon sides, and by adding rocks for beautification on the sides, it'd look more natural.

Newest (and probably last) version. Needs a modified randombiome.js which is included in the download. I liked it as it is both very random and playable. Added treasures to the center of the map. Fixed many issues.

post-12825-0-83605600-1331818330_thumb.j

I'd be glad if someone posts a screenshot with high quality graphics.

seems very good :)

looking your picture, maybe the roads are too large, but i want to test it in game when alpha 9 will be released

Because it uses biome specific tree actors for the top of the hills. I added them into the file for this and any future "generic" map that may need them.

Ah good, so you're going to make the modified randombiome.js official.

BTW I played a match against qBot on Canyon and the map works very nicely :)