Random Map Script: Corsica vs Sardinia

wraitii

A new map script! It took me quite a few days getting everything to work as intended, but it should be allright now. My original idea was to make a very cliffy island, a bit like Corsica, with a very jagged coast that would be hard to take over... In the end, I did two so that the sea gameplay would actually have a purpose.

It might be a bit too forest-y on very small maps, but it's not too much of a problem.

Screenshots:

kp9n2s.jpg 8Dj1Cs.jpg

NytKds.jpg dDLw3s.jpg JTUW1s.jpg

Corsica.zip

Edited by wraitii

If I had one major criticism of all of the random maps done for the game so far (except "Oasis" and maybe "Deep Forest") is that the scripters aren't giving the player enough room at their base for expansion. Having to chop down tons of nearby trees in order to place a barracks is kind of annoying. As a general rule, I think there should be a tree # limit within X meters from the player's start point. Something like only 5-10 trees within 30 meters of the starting civ centre. Players need room to build. This particular map is better than most, but it's something to keep in mind.

But specific to this awesome map...

I love the coast lines, though I think the features should be scaled up and a few more wide beaches added. Players will need room to build docks and to land their forces on the other island. I would try adding some more depth to the water. Put in some deeper areas with the black deep sea terrain texture. All-in-all, this is a winner. Perhaps square and round variations? And some fish. :)

EDIT: Also saw that metal and stone are in super short supply...

Getting the trees farther away from the player would not be a huge pain. However, it would kinda break the "forest all over the place" effect... Perhaps I could leave some more room, and then make the top level plateau have less trees, so players would develop there. I'll look into that. Stone and Metal mines can certainly be added, I'll have to give a look at the balancing of those (the placers are a bit dumb, so sometimes it doesn't work as expected.)

Fish, I forgot about. It's ready to be implemented, I simply didn't add it in the rush or releasing the map yesterday evening... As for a bit more variation, I guess it can be done.

@Pureon: I guess now I've finished this, I'll start working on Marilyn again. I think water stuff will be my short-term priority, as it's nice to be able to play on water maps.

There are two things I really love in this map, shores and terrain texture.(y) Awesome map. Reminds me of some AOE 3 maps. Still needs some work with shore texture blending and ramp positions. Also you can decrease the density of forests. Remember that people are not suggested to play with 8 players in a tiny map. Waiting to see updates.

Allright, I've tried following most of your suggestions... Here is an updated version:

-more room for construction

-more mines, and bigger mines

-streamlined texture integration, though it's not perfect since the engine afaik doesn't support very good blending

-made the cities have "city tiles" around, looks cool since I made them blend with the grass well.

-Added fishes

-Beaches are a bit more straightforward and a bit bigger.

Download link in the OP.

New Screenshots:

Allright, I've tried following most of your suggestions... Here is an updated version:

-more room for construction

-more mines, and bigger mines

-streamlined texture integration, though it's not perfect since the engine afaik doesn't support very good blending

-made the cities have "city tiles" around, looks cool since I made them blend with the grass well.

-Added fishes

-Beaches are a bit more straightforward and a bit bigger.

Download link in the OP.

New Screenshots:

Looks nice! Download link is missing though. :(

Looks beautiful. I'd love to put this into Alpha 9, with your permission. One problem: Your chickens. You tend to put chickens inside the bounds of a civic centre, which confuses the AI. Also, sometimes trees get placed into the middle of mines, which confuses the low level unit AI (they try to get to the tree and get stuck, which is what happens with the chickens too).

I think what he's doing there with the beaches is as good as can be expected with the current terrain blending system. Maybe we can improve it in the future. The only other option would be to include a dozen more terrains per biome that blend the different existing terrains together, which would be a pain and not look as good as a better blending system would. :)

I could try to add waves, if it's possible with the rm generator, it might make the blending look a bit smoother.

That wouldn't fix the blending between the beach sand and the grass. At Mythos points out, we simply don't have any textures that work very well as a transition for those textures.

I may have a way to make that look a bit smoother. I'll have to test, but yes, it'll remain imperfect.

edit: oh, and no problem putting this into Alpha 9 as long as I've managed to fix the few real issues remaining, which I shall do this afternoon.

Edited by wraitii

Okay, so I've fixed the chicken and "trees in mines" issues, also made the whole thing more symmetrical (there were a few things different between the two islands that should not have). I tried many things to fix the shore blending, but nothing was satisfactory.

Download link in the OP.

Unless there is any specific problem, it should be addable to alpha 9.

• 3 months later...

Again, very nice job. (y) Can I go ahead and commit this version?

One request would be to make the trees slightly less straggly, meaning clump them together a little more? This would open up a little more room to plant new Civ Centres. Just clump them a liiiiittle bit more. I appreciate the "look" you're going for with the wilderness, but slightly clumpier, with a little more room to build, and it could still look nice.

I can try. If your request is mainly to allow civil centers placements, I can perhaps instead add a few glades here and there?

Edit: here is an updated version... I'm not sure exactly what it changed, but it feels like there's a bit more space. I've also tried to prevent stuff from spawning on impassable terrain.

Edited by wraitii

• 4 weeks later...

It appears the latest version hadn't been committed, so since I know can, I committed them (also allowed me to check I did nothing wrong. Which I sort of did since I crushed Spahbod's description in the process to replace it with another. I'll fix that later I guess. edit: done.)