Random Map Script: Oasis

wraitii

I was really bored of testing my AI on the scenario Oasis, so I figured I'd create a random map... After two days of fiddling around, basing myself on the lake map, I have a result I am satisfied with.

Requires the PathPlacer, so likely the SVN version of the folder "map".

Old screenshots:

0X96Ts.jpg UxYxVs.png

New screenshots:

qZbMSs.jpg

oasis.zip

Edited by wraitii

This version should be better, I've given more starting resources and more maps. Though I think on Oasis part of the fun is that wood must be collected from the oasis, so the amount is still not huge. Also, more mines.

Download Link

(screenshot updated in the first post, showing me, not doing anything, the AI Marilyn, absent-mindedly surrounding a mine with houses, and qBot, plotting to win the game.

Desert maps should probably have a color scheme like this:

Pahvn.png

The standard settings blow out the sand textures (too bright). The settings I show there are nearly perfect and are what I generally use for the custom scenarios I make for the game. The blue terrain ambient helps cut the beige sun color just right. My favorite sky set right now is "cumulus."

I recommend mixing the sand textures more, and also clustering animals in and near the central oasis. Watch the oasis too, it looks like trees and animals are being seeded into the water. :) Check out the Oasis custom maps in Atlas. There are some design tricks in those maps that if you can replicate what I've done there, will make your random map script look Hella awesome. And of course, you should experiment with your own design ideas of course. :)

Okay, I did a few updates and used a little bit of "rule of cool" for a sunset effect, which I can backtrack depending on your opinion... New screenshots (click to enlarge):

Added water patches to explain the forest, added sand blows on top of hills. More wood in the oasis.

0X96Ts.jpg UxYxVs.png

Download Link

Edited by wraitii

• 3 months later...

Allright, so following your advice I changed the lighting... Tell me how you feel about it.

I've also touched up a few things: made the water more murky, added small variations in the ground texture (patches here and there), added more flora to the passage through the oasis, and fixed a bug with chicken spawning (theoretically).

The download link is attached to the first post.

qZbMSs.jpg

Looking really good in the screenshot - I'll try it out in-game when I get home tonight.

Is it possible to have a variation (in the same RMS) without the crossing in the middle of the oasis? (I don't like it in the scenario maps either, so it's not something you've done wrong ;) )