Units "teleport" into garrisonable structure/unit

FeXoR

When a formation button is clicked while an army has a "garrison into building/unit" order, the army is instantly garrisoned into the target building/unit independent of the distance.

EDIT(Start)

I'm sorry it's the "stand ground" or "violent" etc. orders to klick...

To reproduce this:

- Select a number of units (less then the building to garrison in can carry)

- Give them the garrison order to a distant building as usual (They begin to walk towards the building)

- With the units still selected (and them walking towards the building to garrison into it) click for example stand ground.

- They will disappear instantly and now can be found inside the building they where walking towards

This can be done even if the building (or ship or siege weapon) is not reachable at all for the foot troops like a ship in the middle of the water or a siege tower on en enemy island.

EDIT(End)

P.S.: THX for this awesome game!

Edited by FeXoR

• 2 weeks later...

Should be fixed in r11292, please test :)

I did, it works:ok:

But there's another similar issue (occurring since before your fix, so not really related):

When you click an available formation while some units selected they discard their orders.

It's the same with units having a garrison order and so somehow related.

I did, it works:ok:

But there's another similar issue (occurring since before your fix, so not really related):

When you click an available formation while some units selected they discard their orders.

It's the same with units having a garrison order and so somehow related.

So what you are saying is that when you give them a "get into formation" order they no longer follow a previous order? Not sure that's necessarily something to "fix" as it could be confusing. On the other hand if you're just changing from one formation to another you could still want them to continue walking to the destination. :unsure:

On the other hand if you're just changing from one formation to another you could still want them to continue walking to the destination. :unsure:

Exactly! I would want that for sure!

In general I am the 'I am user, I am Boss! And an order is an order so follow it even if you die trying' type.

So I'm not much a friend of formations or any type of 'glue units' option. Even in warcraft III, where it was handled quite well, I rarely turned it on.

Same with stances. If you can't set a preset stance for all units, or all units of a type, by default but the game designers do, it's sure there will be players disagreeing with the default. And if you do allow the players to set default stances for all units (or all units of a type) there will be more options and some players might go 'ARGH! So many stuff! That's to complex, I don't play this game...'. I can only beg you: Look how units act in warcraft III. That's perfect in 9 of 10 cases, at least. And if it's not player have to micromanage there units, like a general keeps his soldiers in place. If you want to have stances, ok. But don't set different stances to different units as unchangeable default.

Same with minimum range or fixed time of flight for projectiles (like in Empire Earth for archers), at least for archers. The velocity of an arrow is highest when it leaves the bow (if not considering hills). So the minimum distance for an archer is his arm length plus the length of the arrow. That's not so far. And a javelin type soldier wouldn't run when an enemy comes near, cause he would leave his back open for an attack. He would try to kill the enemy first. Only mechanical units should have a minimum range in my opinion.

All these things disturb the player interference with the units and make the units not act like the player commanded. And I don't like that. And by the way, if you didn't follow an order in that time, you might be killed by your superior as far as I know.

But I'm quite sure there are other opinions ;)

Edited by FeXoR