Preparation of Random map scripts for Alpha 9

Spahbod

I'm going to gather last updates of all of my random maps into a file for alpha 9. But there is something to consider. I tweaked the formation of starting units for random maps into a more tidy one. I want to know your opinion about it should I implement it into all random maps (Including the existing ones) or not so that I'll upload a full pack of old and new random maps.

post-12825-0-28910500-1330004549_thumb.p

Edited by Spahbod

I'm going to gather last updates of all of my random maps into a file for alpha 9. But there is something to consider. I tweaked the formation of starting units for random maps into a more tidy one. I want to know your opinion about it should I implement it into all random maps (Including the existing ones) or not so that I'll upload a full pack of old and new random maps.

post-12825-0-28910500-1330004549_thumb.p

If you don't commit them directly (now that you're on the team (y)), then please make patches for any existing maps you change, it makes the changes easier to understand :)

Yup, I like the more organised starting positions.

Also, if you have code shared between random maps (like hill generation, starting unit positions, tree seeding etc), I'd really like it extracted into a reuable library that others can use in their own random maps. The less duplicated code per random map script, the better!

I just checked out your new random maps. Awesome! :victory: I think you did a great job! It would be awesome in the future to be able pick a specific biome or random option from the gui, for the maps that randomly change biomes. Also it might be nice to indicate which maps have the randomly generated biomes and which one are fixed biomes. Otherwise awesome job :D.

I saw your commit. Nice work on all the new random maps.

But you copy and paste the same starting unit positions code, and there is probably lots of other duplicate code (like the terrain randomizing stuff).

Can you please clean this up into a single file? The cleaner these random maps can be, and the more reusable the code, the better.

IF we have a ingle file with different functions for starting positions, random terrain, tree placement etc, it'll be easier for new users to make random maps.

See what you can do. Thanks.

I saw your commit. Nice work on all the new random maps.

But you copy and paste the same starting unit positions code, and there is probably lots of other duplicate code (like the terrain randomizing stuff).

Can you please clean this up into a single file? The cleaner these random maps can be, and the more reusable the code, the better.

IF we have a ingle file with different functions for starting positions, random terrain, tree placement etc, it'll be easier for new users to make random maps.

See what you can do. Thanks.

This is one of the things I'm going to fix for sure. It is really boring to do a change in 8 different files (not mentioning the high chance of mistakes) and it is making the files harder to read.

I think desert environmental settings should be closer to this:

Pahvn.png

Right now, on the Nile River map for example, the settings blow out the textures. :) You're doing an increasingly good job on these, though! Other than the environment settings, the Nile River map looks pretty awesome.

Fixed. I'll commit it after I organized the duplicated codes.

I just checked out your new random maps. Awesome! :victory: I think you did a great job! It would be awesome in the future to be able pick a specific biome or random option from the gui, for the maps that randomly change biomes. Also it might be nice to indicate which maps have the randomly generated biomes and which one are fixed biomes. Otherwise awesome job :D.

Thanks. There is a ticket closely related to the first suggestion. But it isn't very important and I think we won't be seeing this feature in any alpha version. For the second one, michael once had an idea of having a different sort of maps called "generic".

I removed the duplicated codes from the scripts and added them into rmgen libraries.

@Michael

I changed the nile map. I also added those "reeds" to the map. But they looked ugly for small and tiny maps and I used a smaller one which is still ugly. Can you make a smaller version of these? Perhaps 2/3 of the current one's width and length?