Language..

Falo português.

I speak english

Hablo español.

Parlo un po 'di italiano.

Ich sprechen ein bisschen Deutsch.

Je parle un peu français.

... In order of fluency. Note that i studied a little of spanish, but it is very similar to my language, so i can say i understand a lot and speak fairly (also i have a friend from Republica Dominicana who helped me with some spanish).

Edited by Pedro Falcão

dry.gif You're all making me feel pretty dumb :-( If you discount the three programming languages (Javascript, PHP, and Ruby), I only know English.

I've been trying to learn French, but there is a lot involved in it. e.g. "ou" (or) v.s. "où" (where). Why does one accent make a different word? *sigh*

dry.gif You're all making me feel pretty dumb :-( If you discount the three programming languages (Javascript, PHP, and Ruby), I only know English.

I've been trying to learn French, but there is a lot involved in it. e.g. "ou" (or) v.s. "où" (where). Why does one accent make a different word? *sigh*

And you guys get the same word "you" meaning both plural and singular, German with those incredibly long words ("Kugelschreiber" = "pen" / "Süßigkeiten" = "candies"!), spanish speakers speak too fast...

That's the advantage learning english as second language. No written accents, regular verbs, easy to comprehend grammar (although I know that I probably make a lot of grammar mistakes ^_^)

Spanish on the other hand has written accents following different rules, has no regular verbs (which I think is a pain if you have to study that, I remember when I was a child and I had to memorize all the past, future, subjuntive tenses...) and more things that I am skipping, mainly because it's my native language I guess xD

My country's only official language is portuguese, even though there are areas where people speak only other languages, like german, Italian, french, japanese, korean and indian languages and their variants (like Tupi and Guarani), but these areas are very few (communities of immigrants and indians who prefer to avoid contact).

And you guys get the same word "you" meaning both plural and singular, German with those incredibly long words ("Kugelschreiber" = "pen" / "Süßigkeiten" = "candies"!), spanish speakers speak too fast...

I laughed out very loud! Kugelschreiber is, in my very german opinion, the only word that makes sense, because it's a writer("Schreiber") with a ball inside("Kugel") and Süßigkeiten are things(~"-keiten") which taste sweet("süß"). But how can one invent words like "candies" or "pen" out of nothing? :blink::D:shrug:

Webster says "pen" is from Latin penna, pinna feather and "candy" is... wait for it... from Arabic qandī candied, from qand crystallized sugar.

And "Süß" and "Sweet" share the same root, as both english and german are of the same branch (West-Germanic) of indo-european languages, and then the first took the Anglo-frisian way and the latter took the high germanic way down the path to their forms nowadays.