Animation Pipeline

Gen.Kenobi

That would be swell...though I might not have time anytime soon to do anything with them :)

No worries, I've been busy myself anyway. Still got a month left at uni to go.

Could all these models share the same animations? Or will there have to be different animations made for each model?

Animation will be done on the rig, and all the humans in the game will share the same rig. So yes, all the human models can share the same animations.

However, all the animals may need their own unique rig. Similar enough animals MAY be able to share, but it's best to use as few as possible to save on memory (and cut down on lag).

That would be sweet - However I'd post it in spoiler tags, since some people might be offended as nudity. (some people around here are minors ;) )

Sure thing.

Khopesh, are you planning to use Blender to rig the new meshes, or Max?

I would prefer to use Maya, but with 'potential' licensing issues and I need to learn Blender anyway - I think I'll be using Blender.

I just made some changes to shave some polys, how is it? I removed the extra loop from the chest, but if you think its really required, then we can add it in again.

650tris.

This is going to sound strange... but I would open those legs and make them thicker xD

I don't know how well will bend until I test the armature with that topology.

The missing chest loop should not be a problem. I'm more worried about the topology around the shoulder/clavicle. The edge-loops are a bit wild on the shoulder-blade, and there's a big gap between the neck and shoulder (also the neck and chest). I really hate doing the shoulder area. It's always a pain in the neck! :P

The knee and ankle should be fine. The upper thigh however MAY need another edge-loop, and I agree that it is looking a bit thin from some angles.

It's really hard to find good wire-frame examples of low-poly characters to use for reference and I'm still learning myself.

I'll have a play around and see what I can come up with. Is there a copy of those models I can use - saves having to make one from scratch?!

Edited by Khopesh

OK, here's my attempt at 576 tris.

basemalescreen.png

I tried to keep the faces as square as possible (so they deform better when animating). I did have it looking a lot better but that was nearly double the poly count. This also meant I had to take the extra edge loops off the ankles/wrists, but I don't think they will be needed (I've seem some rigs that only go to the knee/elbow).

I would upload the DAE file but not sure how to (that "My Media" thing doesn't seem to do anything).

I will upload the female orthos later in the week when I have more time.

Edited by Khopesh

I would upload the DAE file but not sure how to (that "My Media" thing doesn't seem to do anything).

I'll have to check whether the .dae extension is allowed to attach (am too tired now :P ), but in either case a ZIP/7-zip file is probably a better choice as that means a smaller file :) To attach a file click "More Reply Option" below the reply box and there you can "Attach Files" to the post :)

OK, here's my attempt at 576 tris.

I tried to keep the faces as square as possible (so they deform better when animating). I did have it looking a lot better but that was nearly double the poly count. This also meant I had to take the extra edge loops off the ankles/wrists, but I don't think they will be needed (I've seem some rigs that only go to the knee/elbow).

I will upload the female orthos later in the week when I have more time.

DAE extension is not allowed IIRC, but just zip the model and post it, through "More Reply Options" menu.

Looks like a very nice shoulder topology ;). I think you should add the extra loop for the hands.

I want to take a look and UV map it :D.

Do you mind to make a female mesh or refine this one to a female one :D

I think it would be great if we could bang our heads together one more time and try to get the game's existing rig to work with this new model, so we can at least salvage all the existing animations (some of the existing animations aren't very good, but some are very high quality). If the last-ditch effort doesn't work, then a new rig is in order! :)

Testing so far, this is what I get:

post-13528-0-20515800-1352639313_thumb.j

This is the test "jumping" animation from dude_5_IK from this post: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15552&st=240#entry247587

What I did:

- Removed the head mesh

- Set the IK bones to FK (using sliders when selecting the IK bones)

- Bake the animation (space bar, type bake action)

- Select the armature and the body mesh and export

- Changed .xml from gaul_slinger_a so the melee animation points to the test animation exported.

The only thing positive was to import the animation again in blender, the bones rotation are messed up but the animation plays correctly and the keyframes are there.

Anyone knows if I'm doing something wrong? Did someone get further than this?