Wonders, Special Buildings, and Special Projects

This is just a suggestion, but I think we should made it more squarish, like the rest of the wonders and drop the last bit of the temple. BTW I already did some time ago the pylon of the edfu temple and the back building. I shortened them into two buildings to make it easier to find room to place them. They are somewhere in the ptolemies thread I think. They are already mapped with the colorful textures I was working on for ptolemies.

btw thanks for compiling the list oshron (y) Very helpful.
no problem ;) it's what i do when i'm bored out of my skull :P

so far, the Parthenon, Stonehenge, and the Temple of Edfu have been specfiically added to the design doc (and i've edited my earlier post to reflect that)

an idea for a Wonder just occurred to me: one based on the Atlantis myth, though using Iberian-style architecture rather than Greek (iirc, there's a theory that the real Atlantis may have been located in southwestern Spain, just past Gibralter)

• 3 weeks later...

You know today a was involved in search find to Validate a Natural Wonder for Celts, The Sacred Grove, Nemeton, all answer was concerning to Lugo38 idea, he is French, but try to search about some concepts Gods, Temples, Nature, finally I found in Wikipedia the worship to the trees, and where their temple are the opposite to Romans and Helenistic, no are a Strcture by the man for the Gods, is a Strcture from Mother Earth to Celts, later finding cults, elven, Mthology from Celtic, I found in Age of Empires Online, they use as temple. In total war have same building.

But I found Nemeton, very big can have many big of tree.

But see the Persian Marvel... They a something named as "the Gate of All Nations"

fe6q596.jpg

I want to Investigate about this , and give to Persian a Real own Marvel.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

And foun some things

The construction of the large Stairs of All Nations in Persepolis was ordered by king Xerxes (486-465), the son and successor of the founder of the city, Darius I the Great. Originally, the main access had been in the south; now, one had to ascend to the terrace from the west.

The individual stairs are very low. Perhaps this was to enable horsemen to climb to the terrace, but another, more likely explanation is that it was because you were forced to walk upright. The first building one encountered upstairs, was the Gate of All Nations. It inspired the Parthian architects of the sanctuary in Konkobar.

• Like 1

Persepolis (Old Persian Pârsa, modern Takht-e Jamshid): Greek name of one of the capitals of the ancient Achaemenid empire, founded by the great king Darius (522-486 BCE). There were several satellite sites, like Naqš-i Rustam and Takht-e Rostam.

The construction of the Stairs of All Nations and the Gate of All Nations was ordered by the Achaemenid king Xerxes (486-465), the successor of the founder of Persepolis, Darius I the Great. Originally, the main access was in the south; now, one had to ascend to the terrace from the west.

Like Gate R in Pasargadae, the entrance of the Gate of All Nations was protected by bulls (front) and these mythological creatures, called lamassu's, bulls with the head of a bearded man. These bull-men originated in Babylonia and Assyria, but the Persians adopted them. The general idea behind them is that they warded off evil.

Gate of all Nations, eastern entrance

The entire monument was a giant construction with two large doors in the west and east and a hall between them. The columns of the central halls were 16½ meters high. The capitals had the form of a double bull. A third entrance was to the south. From here, one could walk to the Apadana.

• Like 1

I definitely think the Gate of All Nations should be the Persian Wonder. We'll keep the Hanging Gardens of Babylon for either Atlas purposes or some kind of "capture the monument" gametype.

http://www.persepoli...all_nations.htm

The Grand Stairway, the Gate of All Nations, the Avenue of the Army and the Throne Hall are all parts of a concept. Together they form the processional route of the army from the level of Marv-Dasht to the Throne Hall and back. One can vividly imagine the formations of soldiers marching between the Throne Hall and the Army Gatehouse and further through to the Gatehouse flanked by the huge carved stone bulls of the southern portal, then through this building and exiting through the north portal and into the arrow-straight Avenue of the Army heading west toward the Gate of All Nations - there greeted by the huge winged bulls with human faces. From the exterior of the grounds on the level of the Marv-Dasht an observer would be offered an impressive display: the "Immortals" marching through the stone bull guarded west portal of the Gate of All Nations and on to the Grand Stairway. Here, the rows of soldiers would split left and right marching down the seven meter wide stairs in perfect step with the drumbeat. Upon arrival at the mid landing they would turn 180 degrees and rejoin into single rows. With their colorful clothing and banners and the sunlight reflecting off of their armour they would have resembled two slow flowing rivers splitting and then reuniting.

Stairs:

takht-e_jamshid_gate-al-05.jpgpersepolis_TaL_09.jpgtakht-e_jamshid_taL_08.jpg

Front Gate:

TaL_01.jpg

TaL_02.jpg

Back Gate:

Gate_of_All_Nations_14.jpg

Gate_of_All_Nations_16.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I may have accidentally made a Punic temple

Trying to give the ol' temple of Ba'al Hammon a go, but it turned out a lot less epic in scale

I blame the textures

I'm kidding the textures are fantastic

(Carthaginian textures look an awful lot like the ones in my CGTextures folder btw)

Lol Carthage is my favorite faction, besides, it does need a larger Wonder, the size of the current one gives them an edge. I'll have a go at the Ptolemy watchtower when I have the chance

Started studying what was left of the architecture of the Byrsa and got a bit carried away

post-14999-0-21983200-1381531280_thumb.j

• Like 2

Lol Carthage is my favorite faction, besides, it does need a larger Wonder, the size of the current one gives them an edge. I'll have a go at the Ptolemy watchtower when I have the chance

Started studying what was left of the architecture of the Byrsa and got a bit carried away

That's not bad actually. Could replace the current temple or be a variation?