Wonders, Special Buildings, and Special Projects

• 2 weeks later...

The Colosseum was really Imperial Rome so I don't think it would be appropriate in Part 1. While we are at it, ziggurats and pyramids would make excellent choices for wonders!

The Colloseum we can ut as the "celt tavern" on Alpha 14!, as an easter egg, and only enabled for some escenarios, and in the editor

• 2 weeks later...

I like it. I also wanted to change the AO map that this tower had. I think it wasn't baked correctly and the roof was too bright.

My only suggestion will be to make the stair wall thinner, it looks a little too thick right now, and you'll have more room to make the door wider.

Good job. Post the zip file when it's ready.

The door was snug between the supporting posts that seem to be prevalent in punic architecture, from what I've seen

I thinned out the wall and shifted the center post to give the door a little more room. I also thickened the top cornice to give more of that feeling the old tower had.

messed with the sheilds a bit

got rid of the superfluous geometry

blah blah,

here you go!

Kart_scout_tower.zip

post-14999-0-55737900-1383941730_thumb.p

For the Macedonians, I propose this wonder: the Funeral Pyre of Hephaestion. A gigantic funeral pyre, it was built by Alexander the great, on the occasion of the funeral of its companions (and lover) Hephaestion, dead in Ectabana in the 324 B.C. The pyre was sixty metres high, square in shape and built in stepped levels. The first level was decorated with two hundred and forty ships with golden prows, each of these adorned with armed figures with red banners filling the spaces between. On the second level were torches with snakes at the base, golden wreaths in the middle and at the top, flames surmounted by eagles. The third level showed a hunting scene, and the fourth a battle of centaurs, all done in gold. On the fifth level, also in gold, were lions and bulls, and on the sixth the arms of Macedon and Persia. The seventh and final level bore sculptures of sirens, hollowed out to conceal a choir who would sing a lament.[81] It is possible that the pyre was not burnt, but that it was actually intended as a tomb or lasting memorial; if so, it is likely that it was never completed, as there are references to expensive, uncompleted projects at the time of Alexander's own death.[82]For more information on the structure of the Pyre, http://books.google.it/books?id=fNGqNQcIhtMC&pg=PA96&lpg=PA96&dq=pira+funebre+di+efestione&source=bl&ots=kCN7TR58VO&sig=P4hidkBc6FgBupEiArO_30HMb-w&hl=it&sa=X&ei=ZSx-UufBDMrYtAbFw4GQAQ&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=pira%20funebre%20di%20efestione&f=false

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephaestion

Edited by Iskandar

For the Spartan, I propose this wonder: The Sanctuary of Artemis Orthia. It was one of the most important religious sites in the Greek city of Sparta. The cult of Orthia was common to the four villages originally constituting Sparta: Limnai, Pitana, Kynosoura and Mesoa. The Sanctuary was founded in the 10th century B.C. and at the beginning was not monumental since it was a temenos consisted of only one altar in the open air. At the end of the 9th century B.C. this older altar was replaced by a larger one, this time built with stones. The first temple having stone foundation was constructed in the middle of the 8th century B.C. The temple suffered great destruction caused by flood at the beginning of the 6th century B.C. but soon after was built again.

The large Archaic temple which is preserved until our days , was constructed at that time. The temple consists of cella and pronaos with two doric columns at the East side. A significant restoration of the temple and the altar was done probably at the beginning of the 2nd century B.C. Finally, during the 3rd century A.D. (after 225 A.D.) the Roman horse-shoe shaped amphitheatre was built in front of the temple, while the temple itself was probably restored. The amphitheatre was intended to facilitate the people attending the sacred ceremonies that were taking place inside the temple, in favour of the godess. At the same time they built another oblong altar but a bit closer to the temple. A facade of the Temple relief is represented in the Stele of Xenokles. For more information, http://www.uned.es/geo-1-historia-antigua-universal/GRECIA/RELIGION/8_templos_edad_oscura_arcaica_4_arthemis_orthia_esparta.htm