Random Map Script:Guadalquivir River

Spahbod

Hello again. Here is the Iberian rms. I want to do a Carthaginian one next time but I have no idea about it. So your help is appreciated.

Players start near the shores of the Mediterranean sea and the river flows between them. The map is nearly flat without hills. I'm looking for any bugs or problems you find.

Guadalquivir%20River.PNG

Link to Download

i'm glad to see your random map scripts coming...

unfortunately i do not have the time currently to learn how to make them, although i am very thankful for your description. next holidays i will begin to study it!

continue please making those great RMSs!

regards

For the Carthagian one...

One prospect might be to do a central Mediterranean map. You could have "Sicily", a large roughly triangular island in the center with plenty of resources, and then thin strips of land to the south and north on which most of the players are based. Players would then have to compete for the large central island. The intention would be to mimic the colonization conflict the Carthaginians had with the Greeks.

Another thing you could possibly do (especially for larger games) is to start a few players on the central island to mix things up. These players would have the advantage of starting on the resource-laden island, but they'd suffer because they'd be the center of everyone's attention.

Edited by Cassador_Chris

Maybe use the Atlas Mountains as the basis?

Yeah, if you're going for a purely Carthaginian map, I guess you're left with North Africa. Maybe you could do a two-thirds land and one-third water map, and have almost all the resources concentrated on the coast, while having it get progressively barren inland. Perhaps some mountains dividing the fertile area with the barren one.

What you'll end up with, hopefully, would be a very lateral map in which players would compete intensely with their rivals to the east and west for limited resources, while fish (and perhaps wooded islands) to the north and metal/stone to the south would provide strategic players with other options.

• 1 month later...

Gave a look at your code, I see why it would be fairly complicated... Given the way the map is designed though (river starting from the top going to the bottom and the sea is at about 2/3 of the map), perhaps you could factor in a "WATER_WIDTH * Math.max(1,(iz - (mapSize*0.6) / 10.0))" instead of simply "WATER_WIDTH", which would effectively enlarge the width after you reached 6/10 of the map's height.

(I'm not sure this code is clear to you, I think I used your variables, if you have any questions, do ask).

edit: giving this a try... For now it flooded the whole map, which was fairly fun but not very playable.

edit 2: gave this a few tries... it's possible using a finely tweaked "1/(-x+2)^3" sort of function, but given that the lowest part of the island is not always exactly on the same spot, can't be done every single time.

Edited by wraitii