Trading post

Lion.Kanzen

A "Merc camp" thing, like the trading posts in AOE3 or the settlements in AOM, wouldn't be a bad idea. Dunno. Just depends.

personally, i still think that civic centers should have to be built over settlements like in AOM; it helps control the population limit on a given map. in that way, you technically dont need to include a population capacity, you just have to limit the buildings that PROVIDE population capacity (say, 15 houses providing a total of 150 population as well as whatever settlements you can capture and build civic centers over). it would also be useful for a hypothetical provincial mode so that regions are centered on a settlement instead of arranged randomly (Empire Earth 2 is a prime example)

a more aesthetic idea that ive had based on some previous comments is that there could be "sites of power", basically serving the same territorial functions as a civic center but looking like something else and training different units/technologies depending on what it actually is. it could work for scenario design by making the player capture an inn that would be used as a home base in that scenario

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Trading posts in AoE3 are kinda annoying. I mean they are useful, yeah, but the players will rarely benefit from them, since the other players will keep destroying. They only benefit the already winning players, since only they can afford an army to protect it. A merchant camp like warcraft's one at fixed points of the map would be good, but Warcraft 3 doesn't have nation borders and the region near to the merc camp is unbuildable and highly vulnerable (compared to those fitting for bases).

Trading posts in AoE3 are kinda annoying. I mean they are useful, yeah, but the players will rarely benefit from them, since the other players will keep destroying. They only benefit the already winning players, since only they can afford an army to protect it. A merchant camp like warcraft's one at fixed points of the map would be good, but Warcraft 3 doesn't have nation borders and the region near to the merc camp is unbuildable and highly vulnerable (compared to those fitting for bases).

You can expand your bases near trading posts so you can defend them easily.

• 2 weeks later...

personally, i still think that civic centers should have to be built over settlements like in AOM; it helps control the population limit on a given map. in that way, you technically dont need to include a population capacity, you just have to limit the buildings that PROVIDE population capacity (say, 15 houses providing a total of 150 population as well as whatever settlements you can capture and build civic centers over). it would also be useful for a hypothetical provincial mode so that regions are centered on a settlement instead of arranged randomly (Empire Earth 2 is a prime example)

a more aesthetic idea that ive had based on some previous comments is that there could be "sites of power", basically serving the same territorial functions as a civic center but looking like something else and training different units/technologies depending on what it actually is. it could work for scenario design by making the player capture an inn that would be used as a home base in that scenario

I don't like the idea of limiting houses i like limited pop better because i normally build more houses then i need in pop so that my pop limit doesn't suffer when one of my houses gets destroyed

And what you think about a Gaia player units like Bandits thats can protect treasures or items for heroes

sorry for the late reply :P yeah, personally id recommend a gaia player, but you wouldnt necessarily need to make all-new units for them, just give the gaia player some pre-existing units from a given civilization for different maps (for example, bandits on a map set in iberia would be iberian units while maps set in the middle east would have persian units, and so on and so forth for different games). some more unique units would be useful (personally, ive thought that it would be interesting if there was a specific "slave" unit that could be captured and used for labor or re-equipped as a soldier in different maps), and for an entirely fictional/unrealistic setting (yeah, yeah, historicity and all that but just run with me on this) units like native americans or maybe entirely fictional peoples and creatures such as orcs. iirc, there's already a random map idea which will include a dragon unit as precedent for this. for other settings, it would probably also be useful to have different "ethnic" units for certain maps (like one set in eastern africa could have maasai warriors)