0ad for android

DGMurdockIII

Guest afeder

I don't think any android phone is capable of running a fluent game after about 20 minutes where battles start to get huge.

There is only one way to find out, and conjecture isn't it.

Edited by afeder

There is only one way to find out, and conjecture isn't it.

So you were also planning to look at the specs of a medium-ranged android phone and simulate the game under these circumstances? :P

Please try to figure out if it's worth the HUGE effort. While I love android and rts gaming I don't think it'll be a good idea.

No. Why would I?

Because porting it will take an enormous amount of time while my solution is way faster.

I think you will see that if you don't end your game in 20 minutes the battles/raids from qbot will become a bit too big and it will start lagging enormously. Not to mention playing with 3 bots.

But if you think it's worth the effort, who am I to stop you?

Guest afeder

finding out if a medium android phone/tablet is capable of running this -.-

are you even reading this thread?

Why would I want to find out if a medium android phone/tablet is capable of running it?

Why would I want to find out if a medium android phone/tablet is capable of running it?

I don't understand you, again! :unsure: So, I'm right by thinking that you at least agreed that a medium android phone/tablet is not capable of running it?

Edited by Almin

Guest afeder

I don't understand you, again! :unsure: So, I'm right by thinking that you at least agreed that a medium android phone/tablet is not capable of running it?

What relevance does it have?

Guest afeder

it is indeed irrelevant to know if the devices your trying to port a game to are capable of running the game.

Am I trying to port the game to a medium android phone/tablet?

you're a really strange guy.

Not nearly as strange as you...

So, I am not saying this would be easy by any means, but have any consideration gone into porting 0 A.D. to the Android platform?

Clearly, the UI would need to be rethought, but I have to say, mobile does seem like the future of gaming: I don't want to have to be chained to the PC to have fun. Also, it's very easy to market a game through Android Market - a 'donation version' could be made, giving generous users the option to pay a small sum for the download, thus creating a modest source of revenue for the project.

What I know, or think I know, about porting to Android is that it would probably involve using the Android NDK. Particularly, the game would probably have to use OpenGL ES for graphics, instead of whatever API it uses now, and OpenSL ES for audio

What other complications you can think of?

Edited by dinosoep

I didn't post anything because arguing with you is extremely pointless.

Android is an operating system exclusively used on tablets and phones. The phones have generally a 1 ghz processor and around 512mb ram. The tablets are a bit better but don't expect much.

If you were trying to port the game to the android platform yet targetting desktop users then I supose it could work but your audience would be extremely limited.

If you disagree then please explain what you are really trying to target with a port to the android platform instead of beeing useless -.-

Thank you...

Guest afeder

I didn't post anything because arguing with you is extremely pointless.

There is nothing to argue about. You suggested I should port the game to medium-range android devices and still haven't been able to explain why. If you can't explain yourself why bother others with your opinion? - Especially given that you are such a wiseguy that you call other people strange?

Android is an operating system exclusively used on tablets and phones. The phones have generally a 1 ghz processor and around 512mb ram. The tablets are a bit better but don't expect much.

If you were trying to port the game to the android platform yet targetting desktop users then I supose it could work but your audience would be extremely limited.

I am targeting the Galaxy Nexus, as evidenced by the wiki. This phone has a 1.2 GHz processor and 1 GB RAM. But performance of Android devices in general are going only one way: up.

Do you have any evidence otherwise?

There is nothing to argue about. You suggested I should port the game to medium-range android devices and still haven't been able to explain why. If you can't explain yourself why bother others with your opinion? - Especially given that you are such a wiseguy that you call other people strange?

I never suggested someone should port it to android... I was against it and you were a supporter of that idea

I was only pointing out that we should see if it will be able to run it fluently.

and while performance on android is going up it is still low.

This was the only point I made...

So, have you actually checked if it's possible to do this on the galaxy nexus?

Guest afeder

I never suggested someone should port it to android... I was against it and you were a supporter of that idea

When have I ever said I would support medium-range devices?

So, have you actually checked if it's possible to do this on the galaxy nexus?

How do you propose I check it?

When have I ever said I would support medium-range devices?

I was assuming that because this is were most potential players are at. if you release a game for the really high end devices nearly noone will be able to play it (but after some time it'll get better)

How do you propose I check it?

I think you could start by installing debian on virtualbox and limiting that virtual machine's ram to the devices ram and do the same with your cpu.

This won't cover for the most important part though, the gpu yet I think it'll give you an idea.

Guest afeder

I was assuming that because this is were most potential players are at. if you release a game for the really high end devices nearly noone will be able to play it (but after some time it'll get better)

You weren't assuming it, you were asking if I would do it. I don't why I would do it even if every user in the universe were using those devices. Are you suggesting I should charge them? If not, why would I do it?

I think you could start by installing debian on virtualbox and limiting that virtual machine's ram to the devices ram and do the same with your cpu.

This won't cover for the most important part though, the gpu yet I think it'll give you an idea.

Seems like a futile exercise. First of all, it's a completely different architecture. I have no way of knowing how subtle differences in the ASIC and general purpose circuit designs or in the ARM and x86 instruction sets or in the ndk-build and GCC compilers impacts performance on the respective devices. Secondly, I can't apply any optimizations that may be available on the target device only.

Edited by afeder

• 6 years later...