Random Map Script:Aegean Sea

Spahbod

Hi. Here's another map:

A sea with smaller scattered islands stands between players who must build a navy to reach the enemy.

Warning: Naval map. Bot's won't be able to play properly.

Aegean%20Sea.PNG

Link to Download

Next one will probably be a Carthaginian home base random map as part of my plan to make a random map script for each of the races except Romans and Gauls (Which have Latium and Catabarinian Highlands respectively). Greek and Persian maps are done. Any suggestions for Iberian or Carthaginian random maps?

I guess my personal preference would be for the islands to be slightly larger (thus more important) and for the opposite landmasses to be smaller and more concave. But looks like a fun map none-the-less. I could see someone dominating this map by booming a navy and tower-rushing the islands, so that it becomes impossible for the other player to make offensive action.

EDIT: Oh, and Spahbod, might you consider making a tutorial on creating random maps in 0AD?

Edited by Cassador_Chris

Do you know JavaScript or C++? If you know them, It won't be hard to learn random map scripting. If you don't, You can still understand most parts of the code as they have comments to explain most parts of the code. And I suggest you to use notepad++ if your OS is windows. Try this and if you still had problems, PM me and I'll answer your questions.

Also it is not very hard to learn JavaScript. I know a very good website to learn JS. Click Here.

I played around with the shoreline code a bit for this map. I have uploaded a diff and the file if you are interested. I basically made the beach slope gradually and moved the dry/wet sand terrain transition underwater because it looks ugly (the blending in the engine should be fixed really).

Also in the process I found that the height for tiles is specified for the corners which, based on your code, I don't think you were taking into account. Because that is not the way I want it to work I patched the rmgen script so that now if you set

TILE_CENTERED_HEIGHT_MAP = true;

using setHeight/getHeight will do it for the center of a tile. You will need the latest svn for this to work though. If you don't have the latest svn it will just have the height map shifted by half a square towards the bottom left of the map, so it is safe for Alpha 8 users (most noticeable that the right hand beach is larger).

Edit: Just noticed my previous diff was in the wrong direction, link is correct now.

I played around with the shoreline code a bit for this map. I have uploaded a diff and the file if you are interested. I basically made the beach slope gradually and moved the dry/wet sand terrain transition underwater because it looks ugly (the blending in the engine should be fixed really).

Also in the process I found that the height for tiles is specified for the corners which, based on your code, I don't think you were taking into account. Because that is not the way I want it to work I patched the rmgen script so that now if you set

TILE_CENTERED_HEIGHT_MAP = true;

using setHeight/getHeight will do it for the center of a tile. You will need the latest svn for this to work though. If you don't have the latest svn it will just have the height map shifted by half a square towards the bottom left of the map, so it is safe for Alpha 8 users (most noticeable that the right hand beach is larger).

Edit: Just noticed my previous diff was in the wrong direction, link is correct now.

Thanks for that. I was really nervous about beach slope as my new unpublished map is going to use the same code for a river and everything I did made it worse. Also I thought it was my fault that the odd eastern beach thing happened. But it seems that it was rmgen's. <_<. I don't have SVN. So I'll add the new code for the Alpha 9 version of the map.